PDA

View Full Version : Shot - How do you Know

Gtek
11-05-2011, 11:38 AM
I have access to a whole bunch of shot, appears to be about #6. It is in double plastic bags and taped. Was used for aircraft ballast in a sandy location. I am looking at a 1000 lbs. plus. A higher being has said make it go away. I have always lived in the world of wheel weights /sheet and certified and playing with solder and tin as required. Bismuth, Arsenic, oh my! These compounds are a dark place for me in this game. I think it is for hardness? Is it worth hauling out for alloy, mixing element? Thanks- Gtek

btroj
11-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Absolutely. I would get all you can.

southpaw
11-05-2011, 12:17 PM
If it is lead it is worth getting. It is more than likely chilled shot. My guess is that it would be ~2% antimony as chilled shot and ~4% if it is magnum shot. Not knowing what your shooting prefferance is (pistol, rifles, what cals etc.) it is kinda hard to say how to mix it. You could try melting some down and checking the hardness and see how it compares to your ww alloy. The arsenic in the shot will help you if you are heat treating your boolits.

You may also consider selling or swapping some of the shot for some ww ingots. Pictures would be a big help here.

I for one am more than a little jealous of your find. Congradulations!

Jerry Jr.

bumpo628
11-05-2011, 12:24 PM
You should get all 1000 lbs, if possible. Arsenic improves heat treating and quenching in lead/antimony alloys. Magnum shot typically has about 1.25% arsenic, chilled shot probably has half that.

#6 or #9 magnum shot should have 4% antimony.
#7 or #8 magnum shot should have 6% antimony.
Chilled shot should have 2% antimony.
They make #6 in both chilled and magnum, so it could be either one. The hardness would be the way to tell the difference. Chilled is brinell 10 and magnum is 13.

With shot as a base alloy, you can make just about anything by adding pure lead, tin, or solder. Let me know what else you have and what you want and I'll figure out how to mix it.

I'm sure lots of folks here would buy it as-is or trade you for another type of lead.

Defcon-One
11-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Also, you can load shotguns with it. Great for hunting squirrells and pheasant, too. That means it has dual value!

skytex
11-07-2011, 11:37 PM
I'd sell my left nut for 1000lbs of chilled or magnum shot seeing as to how I've never cast a boolit but I've dripped lots of shot.

leadman
11-07-2011, 11:55 PM
Shot right now is about $45.00 for 25 pounds. I have used reclaimed shot and melted it down for the alloy. works very good as is, or 1%tin for difficult to cast boolits.

sargenv
11-08-2011, 12:24 AM
I actually prefer #6's for action shooting these days.. I bought a shot maker with #7 nozzles.. since you can never find it.. a bit bigger than 7.5 but not as large as 6's.. ;) I'd get all I could also if the price were right.. 1000# of lead shot is really not that much volume wise.. I have a stack of about 500 # of 8, 8.5, and 9's sitting in my garage..