PDA

View Full Version : Hornady trimmer review

milprileb
11-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Attached address gives you some info on Hornadys new trimmer work station.
These are not cheap to buy and as you guys know, one leaps to such a purchase in hopes of a tool that is up to the job and has the legs to go the long distance.

Plastic gears and lots of things that can chew up fingers... see the review and judge yourself.

For me: this option is off the table and I am a big Hornady fan too.

See here:

http://www.beyond556.com/bboard/showthread.php?4545-Hornady-lock-N-Load-Case-Prep-Center-%28review%29-lots-of-pics.

or use this one: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1273110

Dennis Eugene
11-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the link. Dennis

Pigslayer
11-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the link. Dennis

Nylon gears!! Not a good thing.

Dennis Eugene
11-05-2011, 03:58 PM
I was only Thanking him for the Link. I'm not saying I approve of the nylon gearing. Dennis

milprileb
11-05-2011, 04:18 PM
I saw the video of this Hornady tool station earlier and called the Tech Reps at Hornady when it first came out. Tech told me the variance of OAL of trimmed brass depends on the amount of force you exert on the handle. Well, thats par for the course cause thats the darn problem with the Lyman lath trimmer that I own with power drill adaptor. I also had some doubts that the gearing could drive the trimmer and all those attachments. This doubt was spurred by my RCBS case prep station which has multiple stations moveing tools around and I think the thing is underpowered and straining to turn tools due to gears .. in short... lots of gears in there but losing power in the process.

But I am in the market for a power trimmer and decided to shelve the decision till I had more info on Hornady. This link seems to close the case for me regarding Hornady trim station tool being suitable for my needs.

It appears that the RCBS trim pro with power unit is best for my needs as I reload for 25 calibers. For 30 cal and 5.56, the 3 way trimmer head on RCBS would be great as those calibers are trimmed in big volume.

I would like to make the best decision on such a trimmer as the cost is nearly $300 and its not a light purchase for me. I do think Hornady is out of the picture based on this review and my gut reaction there is too many gears moving too many things while the trimmer is supposed to be doing the hard work of trimming.

I also don't much like those tools spinning where my fingers can get deburred, chamfered and knarled up.