PDA

View Full Version : Loading 'Cruise Missles' into 6.5-257 Bob?

Twmaster
11-05-2011, 12:34 AM
Looking for some hints here. I have an old Type 38 Arisaka that's been chambered to 6.5-257 Roberts.

I got some Lee 'Cruise Missile' boolits in a trade deal. Dang these are loooong! These are GC boolits and are 1.282" in length (average) and 176 grains. Going by the case length it looks like I'd have to seat the bullet about .650 into the case to keep the OAL short enough to fit the magazine.

First, will these work in the Arisaka as chambered? I'm concerned about the leade and over-all length.

Next, load. I'm happy to use a reduced load like 13 grains of Red-Dot for these. Would that be suitable or am I asking for trouble considering the length of this boolit? I'd hate to have a pill stuck in the bore...

Any other guidance is appreciated. Even if I'm told to go FAQ myself! ;)

Thank you.

curator
11-10-2011, 08:34 PM
The charge of Red Dot might be a bit to fast for the Cruise Missle in your irfle. I found very slow powders worked best with this slug. My M38 Arisaka had 1 in 9" twist and would not stabalize the cruise missle no matter what. At 100 yards the boolits struck slightly off-kilter. At 150 yards they hit sideways. The CM worked better in my 6.5 Swedes with their 1 in 7.5" twist but stil not perfectly. I think a twist rate of 1 in 6.5" would work if there was such a creature.

Twmaster
11-10-2011, 11:42 PM
That's the other thing I was afraid of.

Thank you.

leadman
11-11-2011, 12:28 AM
13grs of Red Dot is for large cases like the 30-06. If it was me I would start about 8grs and work up.

Some here have shortened the mold by removing metal until a lube groove is the base. The gas checks will fit on the lube groove from what has been posted here.

Twmaster
11-11-2011, 03:10 AM
I don't have one of these 'Cruise Missile' boolits in front of me. How much of the bullet would be removed? These also have the GCs installed. I'm assuming they are simply pressed on and could be carefully removed and reinstalled once the boolit was shortened.

Also, thank you for the info on powder. Working up the loads will be educational if not also fun.

Bret4207
11-11-2011, 07:48 AM
Ah! You don't have the mould eh? Well, I don't think you're going to be shortening the boolits with out a lathe and sizer to reattach the GC. The method mentioned was to shorten the mould in a mill or shaper.

The only thing I can say is that you could try shooting them. 8-9 gr Red Dot sounds right. See what happens, maybe they'll shoot in yours.

Twmaster
11-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Or...

I could try shooting them! :D

I do indeed have a lathe. And a mill. Someday a shaper ... No room in the workshop right now.

Dumb question time, with such a low charge of powder would I really need the gas checks?

leadman
11-11-2011, 09:00 PM
All you can do is try some with no GC, and some with GCs. I have tried leaving the GC off rifle boolits before, and while they shot and some did not lead the accuracy was not as good.

All depends on your requirements for the end result. If you like shooting small groups or longer range, or just plinking at cans.

bruce drake
11-17-2011, 12:44 AM
I own a T38 that I rechambered to 260 Remington right before I deployed to Afghanistan last year. I was thinking about by the Cruise Missile as well but it seems the like the Arisaka twist might not be good for it.

I also own a Mauser in 260 Remington with a 1-9" twist as well so it seems it may or may not work for it either.

THankfully, I own a 100gr and a 140gr mold for this caliber but I was wondering how it would handle the 170gr beast.

Bruce

Twmaster
11-17-2011, 03:43 AM
I've traded these boolits off to a friend with a Swede Mauser. Problem solved.

Bret4207
11-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Or...

I could try shooting them! :D

I do indeed have a lathe. And a mill. Someday a shaper ... No room in the workshop right now.

Dumb question time, with such a low charge of powder would I really need the gas checks?

Keep your eye open for a little Atlas shaper. I have mine sitting on a heavy office desk, it's not much larger than a scroll saw. Works good too!

You could try thaking a CM mould and shortening it to about 130 grs. With a mill and fly cutter it'd be a snapper.

JeffinNZ
11-17-2011, 05:24 PM
The strange thing about the CM boolit is it's propensity for chronic 'wobbly bottom syndrome'. (WBS)

I have shortened some of these beasts and still they drill oval holes in the target ex my static twist Carcano. I am not so sure the WBS is a factor of twist as the Swedes are quicker in the barrel and still do the same.

Anyways, my iron sighted Carcano is limited by its user to 100m shots on wallabies and the recipients appear known the wiser about the WBS.