PDA

View Full Version : Buttstock Source for Pedersoli Sharps

THerbert
11-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Well, I was going to spend the day tomorrow putting some black powder rounds together for my .45-70 Pedersoli Sharps, and head to the range on Sunday. Then I remembered a problem I had with the rifle the last time I shot it, which was the first time I shot it after purchase.

The gentleman that had the rifle before I did had cut off the end of the stock, and replaced the buttplate with some spacers and a foam rubber recoil pad. He must have been quite a bit smaller in stature than I, because the problem I referred to is that the stock is way too short for me -- to the point that when I pull the trigger, the recoil causes the aperture of the tang sight to hit the lens of my glasses.

Now, I can order an unfinished Pedersoli buttstock from Cimarron for $245, but I was wondering if anyone has replaced the wood on their rifle with a higher grade of wood, and knows of a source for pre- or semi inletted buttstocks for the Pedersoli Sharps?

Don McDowell
11-04-2011, 11:09 PM
You can get stocks from Jeff's Outfitters, and Treebone Carving.

leadman
11-05-2011, 12:27 AM
When I got my RB in 40-65 from Cabela's the stock was cracked. Cabela's was able to get another stock from Pedersoli.
Don't know if you could order a stock thru Cabela's or not. Pedersoli does have and English language website. Did you try there?

montana_charlie
11-05-2011, 01:11 PM
I damaged my Pedersoli buttstock last summer, so I spent the winter getting a fully finished factory replacement.
It fit very well without adjustment, and the color and grain works very well with my forearm.
But, it was expensive.

If you have a rifle that has the pistol grip and shotgun butt, this is your best source for an inletted, unfinised, piece WITH the buttplate already fitted.
http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/PEDER1000_Sharps_stock-Pedersoli.aspx?panel=3&productid=370&categoryid=98

CM

THerbert
11-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have an email in to Pedersoli, they usually take a couple of days to get back to you, but they do.

Jeff's only lists the pistolgrip style, and I have the straight stock, so that's a no-go.

I've looked at the Treebone site, and I've installed a stock before, but I don't think I want to mess with a stock that has to be finish inletted. It only takes a small slip of a carving tool to turn a beautiful gun stock into very expensive kindling!

I'll see what Pedersoli comes back with -- I asked them if I could buy the stock directly from them, or if they could recomend a source for one here in the States. VTI has them listed as "not available."

montana_charlie
11-05-2011, 04:55 PM
I take it that you emailed Pedersoli directly. I am certain they will come back with a list of didtributors for you to choose from.

Having gone that route recently, here is what I found.
Dixie Gun Works can order a stock, but it will be a matter of months before you see it.
This will be true of all distributers, but Flintlocks Etc. may have a couple in stock.
http://www.flintlocksetc.com/

They had two when I was looking, and they were the fully finished variety. But, they were both 'everyday wood' and carrying the 'everyday finish' as found on the lower priced rifles.
Either would have looked out of place on a Billy Dixon (for example).

I don't know if they had any unfinished butts in stock, but there are two varieties of those.
One is inletted, and nothing more. The other is inletted and has 'the metal' included and fitted.

Tell me the actual model of your rifle and I can probably find the actual part numbers of the three stages of finish for that rifle.

Because Flintlocks Etc. couldn't give me any confidence that they could order a stock which made a decent match with my forearm, I dealt with another distributor.
That was 'Doc' Rowland of http://www.oldwestguns.ca/ up in Canada.

I honestly can't say if he did anything at all to influence the outcome of my purchase, but I did send him pictures of some stocks that had colors I liked, and the stock I received made me happy.

Flintlocks Etc may have been just as successful, but Doc was more fun to deal with.

CM

sffar
11-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Lee Shaver may have a working relationship with Pedersoli. Maybe worth a call.
http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-LeeShaverGuns/StoreFront.bok

THerbert
11-06-2011, 12:35 AM
My rifle is a Billy Dixon model, but other than the checkering, the wood is pretty plain.

montana_charlie
11-06-2011, 01:25 PM
My rifle is a Billy Dixon model, but other than the checkering, the wood is pretty plain.

Quoting directly from the parts listing:

0800001568 - stock
0800001568a - stock, finished
0800001568b - stock, finished with 'spares' (metal)

I appears to me that the wood used on the S.776 Billy Dixon, and some other models, is darker and more dense than what is found on the S.780 Sporting #3, the S.782 Silhouette and the one called the 'lightweight hunter' by some.

Therefore, I think it makes a difference in 'looks' even when the grain pattern is rather plain.

By the way, this link should get you your own parts listing for the Billy Dixon.
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/uploads/prodotti/S776.pdf

Good luck in your quest ...

CM

MGySgt
11-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Lee Shaver may have a working relationship with Pedersoli. Maybe worth a call.
http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-LeeShaverGuns/StoreFront.bok

Lee Shaver is an authorized repair site for Pedersoli.

montana_charlie
11-07-2011, 08:26 PM
He gave that up a year ago, or so, and named the guy who was taking it over ... but I can never remember the name.

Has Lee taken it back, now?

CM

MGySgt
11-08-2011, 10:48 AM
don't know if Lee has taken it back, I haven't dealt with him in about 7 or 8 years, see adds now and then so I thought he was still doing it.

montana_charlie
11-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Somebody (in a recent thread) had a problem with his Pedersoli rifle. I don't remember what model, or the problem.

After a number of suggestions, the owner posted that Lee Shaver had agreed to do a warranty repair for him.

I don't know if Shaver has returned to the Pedersoli service or if he was just doing the guy a favor.

Anyway, I was taking your comment as reinforcement of Shaver's return ... but maybe that is still up in the air.

CM

MGySgt
11-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Just checked Lee's web site - doesn't say anything about warrenty work on Pedersoli. But the Pedersoli web site has him listed.

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/distributori-nazione.asp/l_en/idarea_3/idsottoarea_224/distributors-united%20states.html

THerbert
11-13-2011, 02:15 PM
As of today, I haven't heard back from Pedersoli. I'll probably try getting in touch with Lee Shaver directly, to get the information about whether he is still doing work for them "straight from the horse's mouth" as it were, and I'll let everyone know the results.

Thanks, everyone, for your input so far.

Chakta
11-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Howdy Gents!

I just joined this hear forum and it certainly does have a truckload of great information about black powder rifles and cast bullets. I hope to learn a thing or two about the black powder rifles I have in the safe.

I will also throw a horseshoe out there for Mr. Lee Shavers, he has my Pedersoli Sharps at the moment. He is a very good shot too! He does do excellent work as a gunsmith. [smilie=s: