PDA

View Full Version : The April 1936 Outdoor Life

David LaPell
11-04-2011, 08:21 PM
I am on the hunt for a copy of the April 1936 edition of Outdoor Life that has Doug Wesson's hunting article with the .357 Magnum. Before I shell out money for this article (if I can find it), is there any other books that this article is in? I know there is a quick blurb on it in Ed MgGivern's Fast & Fancy Revolver shooting, but not alot of detail there.

bearcove
11-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Why do you want that article?

A 357 will work, not the best choice.

Wheeler
11-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Why do you want that article?

A 357 will work, not the best choice.

Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton would have disagreed. ;)

bearcove
11-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Well when I was young and it was what I had it killed a few deer just fine.

Now I have better toys.

As far as Elmer and Skeeter go I grew up reading everything they wrote. They taught me alot. I just wish there was writers like them, now.

Wheeler
11-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Well when I was young and it was what I had it killed a few deer just fine.

Now I have better toys.

As far as Elmer and Skeeter go I grew up reading everything they wrote. They taught me alot. I just wish there was writers like them, now.

I agree. FWIW I realize there are better options than the .357 for certain applications, on the other hand I feel that the .357 probably comes the closest to an all-around useful caliber.

I try to read everything I can find written by Keith, Skelton, and Gaylord.

Wheeler
11-06-2011, 11:14 PM
I'm not sure if I can linkback to another forum per the site rules however, there is a thread about this very article on the S&W forum.

bearcove
11-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Go to that thread cntl c on the address at top of screen control v here. Should give link.

Char-Gar
11-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Shortly after the 357 Magnum was introduced, Doug Wesson went on a long hunting trip and slew all manner of North American big game with the pistol. It was done to promote the new round and increase sales, which it did. The article needs to be placed in the category of hype, and considered as such.

Elmer Keith thought the 357 Magnum was a nifty jackrabbit gun, but that is where it's utility as a hunting round stopped.

Skeeter Skelton thought it was the best all around sixgun round a fellow could have. He did feel deer could be killed with it (he did it), but that it was marginal for the task.

I am 50 years deep with the round and like Skeeter think it is a good all around sixgun round. I have taken a couple of deer with it and would again, if it was all that was available. But I would far prefer to pick up a good 44 or 45 when going after deer.

MT Gianni
11-07-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm not sure if I can linkback to another forum per the site rules however, there is a thread about this very article on the S&W forum.

Mr Lapell is the author of that question as well.

9.3X62AL
11-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Bad-mouthing the 357 Magnum is almost treason. My 4" 686 is the absolute last handgun I would ever part with. The one deer I've taken with the caliber tipped over inside 10 yards, but I understand it is a limited-range proposition.

The 357 is more a felon-repeller for me than large-game field piece, though. At that tasking, it excels--and no fancy Fackler-esque bullet nonsense required.

frank505
11-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Mr. Wesson was hunting here and killed moode, deer, and bear with the 357. I would also like to read the article. His guide on the trip still has living relatives in the area.
A 35 caliber hole through the chest cavity will pretty much do anything in, it may take awhile on larger critters.

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Not to Hi-Jack; but the last handgun I would ever part with is a four-inch Colt Anaconda in 45 Long Colt. A 300gr bullet at 1200fps will kill any of the African Big Five cleanly. Just ask Ross Seyfried.

Rich