PDA

View Full Version : Trying to nerve myself up!

Canuck Bob
11-04-2011, 12:46 PM
I found a real nice Lyman 66A for my Winoku 92, thats my way of letting folks know it is a Miroku Winchester, and am nerving up to install it on the rifle. It means drilling two holes of course on the receiver side. It is a simple procedure I'm familiar with but I paid way too much for this rifle to mess it up!

I was hoping someone could measure from the receiver breech face back to the front screw center line please?

scrapcan
11-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Another option to pursue is the appropriate collectors book that has the dimensions. Mine is at home or I would look for you. If no one responds I will look tonight for you.

W.R.Buchanan
11-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Bob: I can't tell you how far back they go, and I think that is up to you with respect to apperature placement fore and aft, but I do know that they are placed on the centerline of the bore up and down.

On a Marlin that goes right thru the ejector groove so it is easy to figure out. Look for a similar relationship on your gun.

Did you get this sight from the guy on Ebay this last week?

I got the 66LA!

Randy

Canuck Bob
11-05-2011, 12:49 AM
It was an Ebay purchase from a Canadian about a month ago.

I've got a 94 and the location looks similar. I like my peep as close to my eye as possible with a receiver sight. I googled up some pictures for reference as well.

Ragnarok
11-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Just tack weld it in place to make it easier to drill the holes..:D

W.R.Buchanan
11-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Bob: mine was from a guy in eastern Canada also. I want to say Halifax?

It should be here soon. I am trying to decide which gun to put it on. My .44 is already drilled when I installed the Williams, the M39 has holes from the factory, But I would have to drill and tap the 1895.

However the 1895 is the one that needs it the most.

Like I said the critical dimension is the up and down placement. The 66LA and A both have a ledge on the top edge and that may define the placement up and down, otherwise the screws holes go on the centerline of the bore, or in the case of the Marlins the centerline of the bolt.

I have seen many Lyman sights that have had the bases modified slightly to fit the intended application.

When I drilled and tapped the receiver of my 03A3 I got the holes about .015 too high, and it took 2 hours to get to that point! I had to elongate the holes in the base a small amount to get the sight base to sit square in relation to the top of the receiver. They should have been on the centerline of the bore also, but I just missed cuz I tried to transfer from the sight base.

The fore and aft placement, for me at least, is as far back as I can get it with out interferring with the bolt handle or in the case of a Lever action gun, the hammer. Keep in mind you need to plan for the sight aperature also.

I would try to find a milling machine to do this as you could clamp the action in the vise, pick out where the first hole goes and then be assured of being able to precisely place the 2nd hole directly in line with relation to the other. Trying to transfer the holes using the sight base as a template is "Iffy!" and that's why I have to elongate the holes on my 03A3.

good luck

Randy

Canuck Bob
11-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Thanks guys,

My sight has the lip and it is located well for my rifle. Once hunting season is over I'll visit a local smith and get a quote. If it isn't stupid expensive I'll get it done.

runfiverun
11-09-2011, 04:03 AM
remember the 92's eject straight up ^^^^^
unless my wife is using one then it ejects directly left [don't know how she does that]
the moruku's are better built and have better wood than the ones they actually made for win and browning they cherry picked parts from the bins.

scrapcan
11-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Canuck bob,

I looked in the book case and I seem to have loaned out my win 92 collectors book. The 1894/1895 book shows the measurements of locations for those models. Sorry cannot help but it sounds like you are on the right track.