PDA

View Full Version : lee auto-disk powder measure

hiram
11-04-2011, 12:04 PM
How close is the powder disk suppose to come to the end of the base when it slides?

When set-up for the 44-40, the disk does not travel to be even with the end of the base. It stops short. Is this right? I would think that the edge of the disk would stop traveling even with the end of the base. That would put the disk cavity right over the base cavity. I can't find any info about this in Lee's instructions.

Thanks

Maximumbob54
11-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Make sure the flat front is forward and the rounded back is behind. It sounds like the top half is on bakwards. Or I'm miss-reading this.

At second read, I think I'm not getting what is being said. But I don't get how the powder through expander die can change this. The proper length of case should actuate the case activation. I'm still confused.

hiram
11-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Here are 2 pictures which will clear up any discrepancies

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/hiram1818/powder3.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/hiram1818/powder2.jpg

Should the disk travel to the end of the base or stop short.

geargnasher
11-04-2011, 10:38 PM
That looks like a Universal Charge Bar to me, sounds like the measure needs to be screwed further into the top of the die, or perhaps the die is mis-machined. Sometimes the regular discs stop short of the edge with my measures, depending on die adjustment. As long has the disc hole makes it completely over the drop hole I don't worry too much about it.

Gear

bumpo628
11-05-2011, 12:29 AM
Take the hopper off and run the charge bar back and forth.
Look down the holes to see if they line up.
You'll have to hold the bar down with your hand so it doesn't fly off...

Pigslayer
11-06-2011, 10:16 AM
This is one Lee product that I wasn't really happy with. With a flake powder such as Unique it tended to throw powder all over & sometimes bind a little. I pretty much stick with my Lyman #55's.

DLCTEX
11-06-2011, 03:42 PM
I adjust the powder hopper to fit closer by sanding the surface that the hopper sits on, on a flat surface until there is no gap for the powder to escape through. Don't overdo it or it will bind.

hiram
11-06-2011, 05:03 PM
I did the sanding-fit quite a while back. No powder trickles out.

Before I sanded, I tried an experiment. I made a gasket to fit under the disk out of wall paper, the plastic type and it worked. Close the gap a few thousandths and the powder stays where it is suppose to.

Norbrat
11-06-2011, 05:33 PM
I recently modified my .357 dies to load 38 Special as I was having similar problems with the charge bar not moving quite far enough.

The issue was that the shorter case was not lifting the actuator high enough. I fixed it by making a small spacer, 1/8" long, which I put between the die plunger and the actuator tube of the powder measure.