PDA

View Full Version : Detonics "kit" question

3006guns
11-04-2011, 07:16 AM
Here's a question for the 1911 crowd here on the forum.......

Many, many years ago I picked up a new Detonics frame at a gun show. It was blued and all the machining completed but stripped of all parts (actually never installed). At the time, I had thoughts of building myself a nice little compact carry gun, but the frame has languished on a shelf too long now.

I've emailed Detonics and asked if I could purchase various parts, i.e. slide, barrel, spring, etc. but my question is: will standard 1911 parts fit the frame? My reason for asking is that most manufacturers put a premium on parts and clone 1911 parts are readily available. So with the exception of upper parts necessary because of the short frame, I'm trying to save a few bucks.

bobthenailer
11-04-2011, 04:50 PM
IMO i would get the matching Detonics slide so you would have a set from the same manufacture and then add what ever brand parts you want, just seems like a better way to go as a gun built with the same brand frame & slide seemes more professionaly done as that is the way they build them today.

376Steyr
11-04-2011, 05:36 PM
You might be interested in this:
http://www.fosterind.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=54
Detonics "style" slides. No idea if this is current information or if they are still available.

scrapcan
11-04-2011, 05:54 PM
3006 I would head over to m1911.org and look or ask around. I seem to remember some detonics related info.

williamwaco
11-04-2011, 05:56 PM
I have two or three magazines from my ( long ago ) Detonics. No other parts.

It was a REALLY nice piece. It KICKED like hell but it was very accurate.

I do not think any standard 1911 parts would fit. I tried my mags in a 1911. They are too fat and too short.

It was considerably smaller than even the Commander.

If you can find the pqrts, you will love the result.

runfiverun
11-04-2011, 07:10 PM
i believe they are back in business again.
detonics was one of the top end builders, probably the best in their day.
they fit the slides and frames to very tight tolerances, and their bbls to their bushings.
which was the main reason for their accuracy.
i would definately get one of their slides fit to the frame.
i don't recall anything about the magazines,or other internals.

jmsj
11-04-2011, 08:36 PM
3006guns.
I built one about 8-9 years ago. Numrich was selling the frames and the parts that were specific to the frame for about $65.00.
If I remember correctly the small parts were the non-functioning grip safety, hammer strut, grips and magazine. These parts might still be available from Numrich/Gunparts. I believe the hammer strut can be fashioned from a standard strut I think it just needs to be shortened on the part that rides against mainspring cap and radiused. I think the non-functioning grip safety might also be able to be made from a standard, not quite sure. Standard 1911 magazines will work in this pistol but are a lot longer than the frame. I have been told that officer mags will work but will still be be a little long.
On the one I built I used standard 1911 parts and a commander length slide and a Storm Lake barrel and matched bushing. The slide was a "cosemetic second" from Essex (I believe the frames for the Detonics were manufactured by Essex) I built the "slim" grips from aluminum plate and shortened the grip screws.I TIG welded material to the non=functioning grip safety and made it into a beavertail. Finished the frame with Brownells oven Teflon/moly coating. I was having ejection problems so I switched to a extended ejector and tuned it. After that this gun has run flawlessly.
This gun has been so reliable that it is my main CCW. It is also a pretty accurate pistol.
Here is a picture of my "Detonics/Commander"
http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae97/jmsj515/detonicsframecomanderslide001.jpg
Good luck and let me know if you have any questions, jmsj

Lloyd Smale
11-05-2011, 05:27 AM
I bought a combat master years ago and found someone had done some excessive filing on parts and it wouldnt run right and would even go off full auto. I bought generic 1911 parts for it and most of them wouldnt work. Not saying they wouldnt really wouldnt work but would have required a lot of hand fitting. I was told at the time that the old guns were all hand fitted and required alot of work to get standard 1911 parts to work. I sold the gun to a gunsmith online for a real good price just to get rid of it. He got it to work eventually. My take on them is this. they definately have a cool factor to them but are not near as good of a gun as something like a cdp kimber or something comparable from colt or springfield. They were unique in there day as they were about the first production cut down 1911 but 3 and 4 inch 1911s are a dime a dozen anymore and for the most part the bugs are allready worked out of them for you. My cdps are much more accurate, lighter, easier to conseal and hands down more reliable. that been said they will never attract a croud at a range like a combat master will.

3006guns
11-05-2011, 07:03 AM
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I received a reply from Detonics only hours after I posted this, and yes, they will sell me the needed parts. I was cautioned that a lot of hand fitting would be required as this is an early frame. The rep advised me that the easiest way to install the upper works (slide, barrel, etc.) would be to buy their upgrade kit.....$450.

I estimate that since I have to buy everything to "fill up" the frame (plus fit it) and a complete slide/barrel assembly, I'll be pushing $700 (or more). Although I'm retired, the thought of hours of tedious hand work doesn't appeal to me. I think maybe I'll just offer the frame to someone with a little more ambition, then take any money from the sale and put it towards a newer compact .45.

I've had this frame for close to thirty years.....you can't say I don't hang on to my dreams!:bigsmyl2:

376Steyr
11-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Personally, my gun safe is cluttered with "project" guns that I never quite have the time to work on. Unless you want to build a one-of-a -kind, nobody-else-has-one model, it makes a lot of sense to do a little house cleaning now and then. My experience has been that when I've gotten done with a "project", I could have bought a new gun for less money.

williamwaco
11-05-2011, 11:29 AM
I think maybe I'll just offer the frame to someone with a little more ambition, then take any money from the sale and put it towards a newer compact .45.

I've had this frame for close to thirty years.....you can't say I don't hang on to my dreams!

I don't think you are going to find any takers with that much ambition but If you do, I have two magazines for them.

williamwaco
11-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Personally, my gun safe is cluttered with "project" guns that I never quite have the time to work on. Unless you want to build a one-of-a -kind, nobody-else-has-one model, it makes a lot of sense to do a little house cleaning now and then.
My experience has been that when I've gotten done with a "project", I could have bought a new gun for less money.

Here is a man who has been there. Got the scars to prove it.

Groo
11-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Groo here
3006guns send me an e-mail with info..

Lloyd Smale
11-09-2011, 03:27 PM
why dont you just send the frame to the new detonics company and have the build you a gun. One problem you may run into is i believe all there new parts are stainless. As a matter of fact i dont recall ever seeing even an older detonics that was blued.

williamwaco
11-09-2011, 09:45 PM
why dont you just send the frame to the new detonics company and have the build you a gun. One problem you may run into is i believe all there new parts are stainless. As a matter of fact i dont recall ever seeing even an older detonics that was blued.

Mine was blue.