PDA

View Full Version : Finally.... Check material!

Sonnypie
11-04-2011, 12:35 AM
I put in a special order for Amerimax Aluminum 68104 at my local OSH last weekend.
I was told they would be calling me.
I got a call from the home office today confirming they could supply me with a 50' roll as per my order. I thought it got lost or they wouldn't do it.
I confirmed to be sure it was that number because I need that thickness of flashing.
He assured me it was confirmed by Amerimax.
I love that "old Fashioned" hardware store.
10,000 Gas Checks on the way. :D

Holy Moly!
I need 250 POUNDS of Lyman #2. $722.50
10,000 primers! $300.00
16 POUNDS of Unique. $202.00 + Haz Mat

But only one 4 ounce bottle of LLA....
:groner:

Sweetheart, All I want for Christmas is.....

I think I need a private range. :lol:
What a slippery slope this is. :grin:

Rick459
11-04-2011, 04:06 AM
how much did that aluminum set you back?
Rick

Sonnypie
11-04-2011, 10:45 AM
I think the guy said $13.?? ($13.72?)
My hope is to put a reel holder offside the paper cutter, and a stop for feeding off the cutter edge, and be able to more rapidly and accurately cut the strips.
Like the adjustable stop on a sheet metal shear.
(It's a sickness I have. I'm always looking at ways to improve what I'm playing with.) :lol:

ditchtiger
11-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Amerimax Aluminum 68104
What is the thickness in thousands of an inch??

edsmith
11-04-2011, 08:28 PM
.014 just got some myself.

Sonnypie
11-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Amerimax Aluminum 68104
What is the thickness in thousands of an inch??

.014"
LINK (http://www.amerimax.com/catalog/default.htm)

Scroll down to Flashing (left side), and click on Roll Valley Flashing. Look at the Yellow column.
Note the flashing thickness' at the top of the columns.

That is the size PatMarlins said to use, specifically.

6810X designates the Standard (.014") flashing.
68104, 6, 8 designates the width of the roll, in inches.
Pat specifies 4". I have used 6" in the .0092" thickness. 68006, which is economy grade. My local OSH carries that grade.
What the big box stores around me carry is the Versa Grade. Which is .0078"

I have a roll of copper that is .006" and it makes wienie checks that fall off.
The .0092 is better, but still does not crimp on properly.
I made some from .011" brass shim stock I had for a test. They worked well. And looked nice on the boolits bottoms. Sexy as checkies go.
But I literally exhausted all possibilities for buying without ordering.
Then put in the Special Order with my friends at OSH.

What would be absolutely the best would be Aluminum Banding (http://www.amerisafe.net/en/Banding-and-Wing-Seals/12-020-ALUMINUM-BANDING-900COIL/15200.aspx) in 1/2" X .014" thickness. Like the banding for pallets.
They make it, but it is .020" thickness. And a nice short 900 foot coil
That would make a continuous strip to feed through. Punch till your arm falls off.
In a perfect World...
(I always dream in Industrial Scale)

Amerimax #68104, .014" thickness, Standard Grade.

ditchtiger
11-04-2011, 08:38 PM
What I found is dryer duct tubing.
Comes in a flat sheet and is folded on the edge to form a tube.
.010 thick, a 2' section 6' wide goes for $3.
The gas check wall tears away from the base sometimes when forming the cup though.

edsmith
11-04-2011, 08:43 PM
real soft alu. will do that.

Love Life
11-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Is this for the PB gas checks or the standard gas checks?

Please excuse me if it is a stupid question, but I am new to making my own gas checks.

Sonnypie
11-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Is this for the PB gas checks or the standard gas checks?

Please excuse me if it is a stupid question, but I am new to making my own gas checks.

I'm going to be using it on 30 caliber GC style cast boolits, cast with RotoMetals Lyman #2 formula.
They are the only boolits I currently cast that need GC.
I only cast 120g, and 170g boolits for my 30-06 from this alloy.

My 45 ACP boolits are plain based (PB) and don't need anything added to them. And they are a different alloy.

My original intent was to use the roll of copper flashing I already have. But it is .006" and does not form checks that will stay on.
I have tried, and exhausted my other options with what I had, or could get, before settling in and ordering.
But .014" is the specific thickness that works with PatMarlins tool for 30 caliber.
It is the right thickness to work with the design of that particular check making tool.

And the only stupid question is the one not asked. ;-)

DLCTEX
11-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Would a double layer of the .006 copper work?

Love Life
11-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Would .016 copper flashing work if it has been annealed?

Sonnypie
11-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Would a double layer of the .006 copper work?

Funny you would mention that...
I'm just in from the shop where I recast a bunch of 120g boolits into 170g.
When I tired of casting, I turned around and punched copper strips, then did double disk forming.
They still "bottle capped", but so far they seem to hold on.
After running through the sizing die I can't pick the GC loose with a finger nail. So it appears it will stay put at least through firing.

A test sized boolit with a double .006" copper GC
http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny's/PB060365.JPG

The same GC Boolit on the left, and a "as cast" boolit on the right.
http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny's/PB060369.JPG

My sizing die poops them out at .3105", since I reamed it out.
They're are going into a .3085 slugged barrel. (.002" over bore)
And the mold is dropping them (WD) @ .314" So it's a little "fat" over specs for that mold (Lyman 311291).
The copper I'm using is very soft as it is. It is a PITA to punch because the waste strip distorts around the punch at times.
But I wanted to run off a batch of the double coppers to test. I have a 12" wide roll of it that would probably make 100,000 + copper gas checks.
I have 75 boolits GC'd and ready to lube and size, with a pile of punchings ready to form, and a hopper full of 170g boolits I cast today.
The roll of 4" aluminum, .014" thick, should be in next week at OSH. :smile:

Sonnypie
11-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Would .016 copper flashing work if it has been annealed?

Donno.
I did make 190 from a .016" Aluminum sheet metal 4" X 10" I picked up to try. It worked good, and I have a bit left over for a sample.
I had really hoped I could use the copper I have. But it isn't working out very well, too thin and too soft. :|

Love Life
11-07-2011, 01:10 AM
I'm going to give the .016 copper a try. I'll report on it when I get it.

Capn Jack
11-20-2011, 09:22 PM
I bought an 8"x50' roll of Amerimax Aluminum 68104 and it is .0147. I had to special order it through Sears and it was around $40.00 delivered to WA.

I'm using one of Charlie's Freechex III punches in .459 and I puting them on
RCBS 300gr. FN GC bullets, cast hard and sized .459 for my RRA AR.458S. So far they're shooting 1 1/2 MOA or less at 75yds. Too cold to try further.:roll:

I tried .010, but they would fall off. Anyone near La Conner WA. wants the rest
of that roll, come and get it. it's free. .020 Aluminum gutter jammed the cutter.

Jack...8-)

wallenba
11-20-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm sticking with copper for now. I got some from this place http://www.basiccopper.com/
Shipping was real fast and product is real nice and the thickness perfect. It is available in 1.4 mil, which is 0.014. I have not done the math, but it's gotta be cheaper than buying checks.

Clyde
11-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Wallenba have you received that copper yet? The thickness you quoted, 1.4 mil is .0014 thick not .014, sounds too thin to work.

wallenba
11-21-2011, 12:20 AM
Wallenba have you received that copper yet? The thickness you quoted, 1.4 mil is .0014 thick not .014, sounds too thin to work.

You are right. The stuff I ended up ordering is TEN mil and checks 0.011. I remembered it wrong while posting. Here is their actual thickness guide
http://www.basiccopper.com/thicknessguide.html
I remember now almost making the same mistake when ordering. Next time I'm going to order the 16 mil, the 10 mil works fine though.

n.h.schmidt
11-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Hi
I checked out the prices of the copper you are using. Lets say you have ordered the 20'X 1" of 10 mil thickness. That's $43.99 I didn't check the shipping cost,plenty I'm sure. If you are going for 30 cal checks for instance.You need about a 1/2"square per check to work with. I know as I have made them for years.
A 20'x 1' strip is 240 square inches. A square inch can give you four 30cal checks.
4 x 240 gives you 960. Thats 960 checks for $43.99 and you get to do all the work. I wanted this to work too . Copper just dosn't work unless you get it almost free. You can make 30 or more aluminum checks for the price of one copper check.
n.h.schmidt

wallenba
11-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Hi
I checked out the prices of the copper you are using. Lets say you have ordered the 20'X 1" of 10 mil thickness. That's $43.99 I didn't check the shipping cost,plenty I'm sure. If you are going for 30 cal checks for instance.You need about a 1/2"square per check to work with. I know as I have made them for years.
A 20'x 1' strip is 240 square inches. A square inch can give you four 30cal checks.
4 x 240 gives you 960. Thats 960 checks for $43.99 and you get to do all the work. I wanted this to work too . Copper just dosn't work unless you get it almost free. You can make 30 or more aluminum checks for the price of one copper check.
n.h.schmidt

That's what I was afraid of. I was in a hurry to use my checkmaker(it's new, I waited almost nine months for it). I'm looking for a better source. But for a .338 check I had to get crackin' before fall. Turns out I'm laid up with back problems anyway.:(

Love Life
11-21-2011, 11:49 PM
I looked at the same place Wallenba, but decided to go with the Amerimax aluminum. I have roll on order and I can send you some to try if you like.

wallenba
11-23-2011, 12:17 AM
I looked at the same place Wallenba, but decided to go with the Amerimax aluminum. I have roll on order and I can send you some to try if you like.

Thanks for the offer Love Life. I can get aluminum locally, but I wanted to try the copper first. I have twenty feet of the one inch stuff to use up too.;-)

PatMarlin
11-23-2011, 05:12 AM
But it is .006" and does not form checks that will stay on.
I have tried, and exhausted my other options with what I had, or could get, before settling in and ordering.

I know someone who may want to buy your .006 copper if you would like to sell it.

A simple fix is my optional male die to make that .006 fit and stay on with no problem. How well .006 shoots with your firearm is another matter all together.

PatMarlin
11-23-2011, 05:23 AM
The current cost of copper is just obscene. 3 years ago I was able to get .010 copper (custom order 1/2 hard) at $7.50 per thousand checks made in 30 caliber.

Your government at work helping lives daily.

DukeInFlorida
11-24-2011, 08:56 AM
I've been running checks in aluminum for the run-of-the-mill loads. I run them in copper for the more fussy loads. Not sure it makes any real difference, but it makes ME feel better about it. I have a bunch of copper, and will probably never run out.

As I prepare to move to Florida, I have been cleaning out all scrap metals, including over a hundred pounds of various copper fittings, old pipe, etc. I sure wish I could just send it all directly to a copper mill, and have them convert it to sheet stock for me. Pay only a conversion fee. I'd be sitting pretty.

Love Life
11-24-2011, 09:24 PM
My check material should be here next week. Once it is I will see how hard I can push soft cast boolits. I will be using an alloy that consists of 20 pounds lead to 6 ounces of tin. Should expand well even as solids. I'll tell you, these boolits filled out and are VERY shiny.

Love Life
12-07-2011, 07:55 PM
I tried the .014 thick aluminum flashing from Amerimax for my PB checkmaker dies, and they form fine. Inly problem is the material is a little to thick. No worries though because I have use for it in other projects. I have some .008 thick flashing on the way and will report back in once I get to put it to use.

MT Gianni
12-09-2011, 08:59 PM
SonnyPie, What is an OSH?

TreeKiller
12-09-2011, 10:56 PM
SonnyPie, What is an OSH?

Not SonnyPie but it is a California thing.:p
Orchard Supply Hardware

Sonnypie
12-10-2011, 12:24 AM
Yep.
Orchard Supply Hardware. (http://www.osh.com/)
Locally owned sort of place. I find my neighbors working in there.
Kind of one of the last of old timey type hardware stores. Except I think Sears has their claws in them now.
It's rare when I go in there and not come out with supplies for what I'm doing.
I can find the odd ball stuff there.
More personable than the big box stores we have. It amazes me they have survived this long.
Kind of like an Ace Hardware.
I found out they kind of suck at special orders though. They lose the paperwork, then don't know who it's for, or who to call. :sad: :groner:
But I still like going there.

max range
12-12-2011, 11:05 PM
I used to live in Menlo Park where there was an OSH nearby. Great store, I loved it until they re-did (ruined) their fastener dept. OSH is owned by Sears. I now live in the free state of Missouri where the folks have read the constitution and understand it.

riptear & bust
12-13-2011, 08:22 PM
does 0.014 thou convert to 0.3 millimeters,i can buy this annealed aluminum here in australia in small 10 meter rolls.would annealed aluminum work in a pat marlin gas check cutting.thanks riptear

Sonnypie
12-13-2011, 09:02 PM
.35560 mm equals .014"

I used this converter.
http://www.worldwidemetric.com/measurements.html

I put .014 in the inches box, and clicked the calculate button.
.3 mm converts to .01181" Which might work OK. I made some from brass that was .011"

.4 mm converts to .01575" thick.

I made a bunch from .016" aluminium and they worked out OK as well.

But now I am using the prescribed aluminium Pat designed the tool for.

Reload3006
12-14-2011, 01:43 PM
if you want to convert MM into inches ... multiply the mm x .03937

PatMarlin
12-14-2011, 02:07 PM
I made a bunch from .016" aluminium and they worked out OK as well.

But now I am using the prescribed aluminium Pat designed the tool for.

I have designed my dies to perform great with inexpensive metals. That's been my goal from the start. I never saw the wisdom in offering dies that need to use expensive thick metals to work well?

For Checkmaker™ standard shank mold dies .004 - .018 metals are suggested. Your mileage will very depending on your mold shank, and metal hardness. Performance varies with the firearm obviously, but .014 has proven to be a solid performing thickness across the board, and holds the accuracy record. Many shooters have done well with thinner metals according to their needs.

For Checkmaker™ PB dies .004 - .008 metals are suggested, with sometimes getting away with .010 depending on boolit hardness and metal temper hardness.

Custom diameter order optional male dies, made to your specification are available for $9.95

94Doug
12-22-2011, 02:04 AM
Amerimax has color coded the labels for ease of use, Yellow indicates the standard stuff, or .014 thickness. So, what if you were able to take a penny, run it through a die to squish it to .014 thicknes, how many gas checks could you make for that penny?

Doug

Dthunter
12-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Hi guys!
I JUST come accross an idea for Aluminum gascheck material!

The mill I work for has insulated pipes.
The insulation is covered with two different sizes/thicknesses of aluminum sheet metal.
.016 & .020".

This should be a great source!
Check your local industrial companies to see if they have any scrap cladding.
It would be great for us to come up with material that is cheap for all of us!

Good luck guys!

Dthunter
12-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Amerimax has color coded the labels for ease of use, Yellow indicates the standard stuff, or .014 thickness. So, what if you were able to take a penny, run it through a die to squish it to .014 thicknes, how many gas checks could you make for that penny?

Doug

I am not sure of your laws down there, but if we got caught destroying Canadian currency like that, we would wind up behind bars for sure! 

fallout4x4
12-28-2011, 07:03 PM
So, what if you were able to take a penny, run it through a die to squish it to .014 thicknes, how many gas checks could you make for that penny?

Doug

A penny is 99% zinc and only copper plated.

Sonnypie
12-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Hi guys!
I JUST come accross an idea for Aluminum gascheck material!

The mill I work for has insulated pipes.
The insulation is covered with two different sizes/thicknesses of aluminum sheet metal.
.016 & .020".

This should be a great source!
Check your local industrial companies to see if they have any scrap cladding.
It would be great for us to come up with material that is cheap for all of us!

Good luck guys!

What I was hoping for was Aluminum Strapping material.
I found .020" rolls, 900 feet long X 1/2" wide. Could be perfect with the right casting molds and gas check maker.
If I could find it in .016 or .014, it would be perfecto.
But most molds are standardized to certain gas check sizes. That leaves us somewhat strapped to certain metal gauges to get proper gripping of the checks.
One of my commercially available Hornady checks is formed from .017" material, for example. Copper.

Dthunter
12-29-2011, 12:48 AM
With a roll of aluminum like that, you could be punching discs till your blue in the face! and a pile as tall as you! LOL!

The source I found, has all the .016" aluminum I want for free!
I can cut it in .5" strips, 36" long and roll them up in a compact package.
I think it would be 36 gas checks/roll. 72 strips per sheet=2592 gaschecks per scrap sheet.

I can get 1 or two sheets worth of scrap per week easily.

After about 20-30 sheets, I wont need any more for the rest of my life! lol!

Hopefully it works out!

I will try a few strips first, in case it doesnt fit my bullet shanks.
I dont want to do a stupid amount of work before knowing it is going to work.

Sonnypie:
If I come accross a roll of aluminum banding in the thickness we are hoping to find (.014-.016"), I will try to find out if there is a U.S. supplier for it. I will post it for you.
Take care guys, and straight shoot'in!

Man that would be great for the gascheckers on this site!

Sonnypie
12-29-2011, 01:13 AM
If I had a sheet metal shear, I could be real happy.
But I don't. So I set up a stop on an Exacto paper shear and get reliable strips to use in my Pat Marlin set.
Last play time I punched out over 1,000 disks, and made up all the cups I could use for the 18.8+ Lbs of boolits I had cast.
I now have enough checked, sized, loobed boolits to last me a hell of a long time.

But if a feller had a roll of material...
Just feed it from one side, and feed the waste into a scrap bin out the other.
Pokitah, pokitah, pokitah, pokitah, pokitah, pokitah, pokitah, pokitah, pokitah,

I even put a piece of foam pipe insulation on my punching presses handle, and a PVC chute to a catch can for each operation.
Damn near automatic at this point. :lol:

VHoward
01-02-2012, 08:31 PM
For those that are interested, Amazon is selling the 4" x 50' rolls of the .014 Amerimax flashing.
Amerimax 68104. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009SQFTS/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details)
My local hardware store wasn't interested in such a small special order. They carry the flashing that is .0078" thick and only 10' rolls for $6. I just ordered the 68104 50' roll from Amazon for $18.42 + $5.14 shipping. That comes out to about $4.71 per 10' by comparison.