PDA

View Full Version : 1911 feeding problem

cobrarolex
11-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Need help on this one...

Hollow point bumping on the feed ramp and pushing the bullet inside the case making it dangerous creating high pressure.

I crimp it good and still doing the same thing. Crimp are: .470, .469 .468 in.
Any help will be appreciated..

Thanks

cobrarolex

bobthenailer
11-04-2011, 07:21 AM
Does your gun barrel have the GI feed ramp or does it have a throated barrel ? also COL is critical ! as well as magazines ! are you useing GI type or aftermarket that may have reshaped mag lips /release point to enchance feeding with non hardball ammo ?

P.K.
11-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Does your gun barrel have the GI feed ramp or does it have a throated barrel ? also COL is critical ! as well as magazines ! are you useing GI type or aftermarket that may have reshaped mag lips /release point to enchance feeding with non hardball ammo ?

BTN covered all the first points, just one more to add. Round count, do you know? You could have a couple of other issues at play too, like a worn or slack barrel link or weak mainspring.

kyle623
11-04-2011, 10:57 AM
another option would be to polish the feed ramp. could be a sharp edge catching the bullet.

Iron Mike Golf
11-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Is it feeding and chambering? How much setback? Is the setback the same for the first round as for when the gun cycles while firing?

Larry Gibson
11-04-2011, 12:28 PM
As already asked;

Are the HP rounds jamming on the feed ramp and not chambering?

Or are they chambering but with the bullet set back?

One is pistol problem (with a solution). The other is a case sizing problem (with a solution)?

Larry Gibson

Ragnarok
11-04-2011, 01:06 PM
I've got twwo 1911 pistols that are factory 'ramped/throated' for hollowpoints..a older Springfield Milspec..and my Remington R1...neither one will feed just every hollowpoint made.

I've had good luck with the Remington/UMC 230gr hollowpoints as far as feeding. Others that work well are the 200gr Golden Sabres..and the Winchester XTP hollowpoints.

I have not had any luck with either gun with the Speer hollowpoints.

If the gun has the old GI feedramp/barrel setup...probably ain't going to feed hollowpoints.

runfiverun
11-04-2011, 07:41 PM
they do make 1911 magazines for swc type bullets for a reason.
they angle the nose of the cartridge up higher to avoid hitting the feed ramp at that shallow angle shoving the bullet back into the case,or jamming altogether.

GRUMPA
11-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Cobra sent you a PM

Silver Jack Hammer
11-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Many 1911's have been ruined by polishing the feed ramp, be sure to use a reputable 'smith. Could your mag spring be weak? Then your recoil spring be off weight, too heavy? These two are routine 1911 maintenance issues that create the vast majority of failings in the 1911. Check the back of your magazine lips for cracks, that’ll affect the angle of feel of the next round up. I’m curious about the origin of your ammo and how your 1911 does with other brands. I’ve found that Golden Sabre to be so underpowered as no not give me confidence.

35remington
11-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Tell us the following:

What magazines are you using?

What brand of hollowpoints are you using?

What is the overall length of the loaded round?

Don't rely on the taper crimp to hold the bullet "tighter" in the case. If it is a jacketed bullet, taper crimping adds nothing to bullet retention. It is a reliability aid with jacketed bullets in turning in the case mouth and nothing more.

Following this information, is the bullet firmly held in the case with friction fit alone? Does shoving the loading round against a hard surface to test bullet retention cause similar deep seating of the bullet?

MtGun44
11-06-2011, 01:48 AM
If the bullet/boolit is pushing in, you have to get or make a smaller expander for your
reloading die set. Polish the old one down or buy a smaller one. Neck tension should be the
main thing holding the boolit. Also - are you using Remington brass? Rem brass has thin
mouth brass and can be the whole problem.

Look into trying an original GI mag with the tapered lips, not with the early release design
like about 99% of them have now.

Bill