PDA

View Full Version : Storing Lubed Bullets

Dragoon 45
11-03-2011, 10:44 PM
What do you use to store lubed bullets in?

I have been using the styrofoam trays that I got when I bought some commercial cast bullets. Most of these trays are now history. Looking for something to replace them.

Thanks.

MKastning
11-03-2011, 11:13 PM
I use plastic cases meant for loaded .380 rounds to store lubed .30cal bullets. Works great, although probably not the most cost effective solution. I used to buy bullets from a guy that delivered them in plastic .22LR boxes that have the sliding top. CCI mini mag type.

Chill Wills
11-03-2011, 11:52 PM
You can buy the trays from Midway or you can use discarded pistol trays you pickup at the range. Dumster Diving! You can buy slip top boxes for pistol reloads in sizes that will work. You Can drill out wood, Scrap or hardwood, and make 50 or 100 hole bullet storage trays. Just some ideas I have done in the past.

All the above beat loose in a box. Done that too!

bigted
11-04-2011, 12:13 PM
i do the loose in tha box treatment. i have air tight plastic food storage box's that i store around 150 of my sized/lubed boolits in and feel they are good to go as i dont jostle em or move em till im ready to load em....never had a mis-shaped boolit yet with this method. i have some that ive stored such for around a year.....most dont last nearly this long as i usually cast em n shoot em within a week or two so they mostly go from ingots to holes in something pretty fast.

mazo kid
11-04-2011, 02:49 PM
What do you use to store lubed bullets in?
I have been using the styrofoam trays that I got when I bought some commercial cast bullets. Most of these trays are now history. Looking for something to replace them. Thanks.
Depends on the caliber of boolit, naturally. For my 45 caliber boolits, I had a local medical clinic save the holders from the blood collection vials. Works great. Started out with styrofoam, but then got some of moulded plastic. The foam trays are pretty rigid and hold 50 boolits.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/mazokid/Gunn-Trenk%20bullet/Gunn-Trenkbullet001.jpg

Chill Wills
11-04-2011, 04:20 PM
mazo kid, nice bullets! what mould is that. What singleshot? Holy black?

oldracer
11-04-2011, 04:44 PM
I bought a piece of red oak at a local home improvement warehouse that were 1 inch thick, 12 inches wide and 6 feet long. Cut into equal pieces and drilled half way through with 1/2 inch drill and then stained with some dark stain. I put some dowel feet on them so I could stack them if necessary and so far no dents in any bullets. I saw a picture of a similar bullet board on one of the websites?

Dragoon 45
11-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Mostly looking for something to store .40 and .45 rifle bullets in. I don't like keeping them in a plastic box where they could be damaged by being jostled around.

I tried to find some of the styrofoam trays, but everyone I talked to was either out of stock (Midway) or doesn't handle them anymore (Buffalo Arms). Could not find anyone else who even knew what I was talking about.

I normally cast 3-400 bullets at a time. After lubing them, they may sit for a month before I load them.

powderburnerr
11-05-2011, 12:03 PM
the styrofoam trays work well for storage ,but do mark the bullets when they travel long distance in them ,,, go to the hospital and ask the gals who draw blood if they would save you the vac u taner blocks from the blood vials,, mine are 100 hole flats

Don McDowell
11-05-2011, 12:10 PM
I don't store lubed or patched bullets.
I keep the cast bullets in empty butter or sherbet tubs, all weighed and ready to lube or patch.
Then when ready to load I lube/patch and put them in one of the styrofoam trays.
That way I don't have to wonder if the lube is going to dry out from being exposed to air, or the patch getting ruffled prior to putting into a charged case.

powderburnerr
11-05-2011, 12:20 PM
yeah , I dont like ruffles on my patches either , they look too prissy.

Don McDowell
11-05-2011, 02:09 PM
:drinks:

Lead pot
11-05-2011, 02:36 PM
When you go to the range look in the trash barrels for empty pistol ammo boxes .40 or 45 caliber.
seems like people dont reload anymore. I have foam or plastic trays for several thousand bullets.
If I want to use a GG bullet at a shoot I leave then in the lube blocks and the blocks are i a sealed food container till I need to reload.

mazo kid
11-08-2011, 01:03 PM
mazo kid, nice bullets! what mould is that. What singleshot? Holy black?

The mold is a Victory designed by Dr. Gunn and Dick Trenk especially for the Pedersoli barrels. Unfortunately, Victory is no more; the mold was on loan from a different forum. Yep, Holy Black in a Pedersoli Schuetzen 45-90:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/mazokid/45-90Schuetzen002.jpg

Chill Wills
11-08-2011, 01:47 PM
[QUOTE=mazo kid;1457152]The mold is a Victory designed by Dr. Gunn and Dick Trenk especially for the Pedersoli barrels. Unfortunately, Victory is no more; the mold was on loan from a different forum. Yep, Holy Black in a Pedersoli Schuetzen 45-90:

Ah! Yes, I remember that there were a few moulds going around on a waiting list. I hope you cast a bunch. The print of that bullet design still can be had but there are some others out there that are it's equial for the Pedersoli 45-90. Schuetzen and 45-90 on a sidhammer are just not a pair I put together but no reason not to if it works for you.
You write: "Unfortunately, Victory is no more;"
Sadly, not only are Victory molds gone but so are Dick Gunn and Dick Trink. But, Maybe you know that.
Cool looking rifle with the hooked butt on a side hammer. Only saw one other sidehammer schuetzen rifle. Came from Big Timber, C Sharps. It was a 22rf.

Thanks for the picture of the rifle!

Johnk454
11-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Nice rifle! Very unusual.

If I'm storing 45 caliber BPCR bullets, I use the generic ammo boxes for 45 colt. They were purchased from Midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/759153/cb-07-ammo-box-with-styrofoam-tray-44-special-44-remington-magnum-45-colt-50-round-cardboard-white-box-of-25

http://home.comcast.net/~johnk454/pics/BPCRbullets.jpg

Haven't tried the blood trays - have to try that.

bigted
11-10-2011, 09:55 AM
ha...blood trays...how fitting!!

midnight
11-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Before I retired I was a lab manager in a large medical center. I took dozens of those styrofoam vacutainer trays home. Just picked them out of the garbage. I was just in last Sunday visiting my old employees and tried to pick up some more. They do use thin molded plastic now. I brought a whole bunch home. They should work but they are not as sturdy. I also collected some trays pipet tips come in. They are handy for putting cases of bullets in when you are working on them. Holes in the bottom let any crud fall out and they can be labeled easily. I'll post some pics:

Lead pot
11-10-2011, 11:40 AM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/940Leadpot/IMG_1478.jpg

powderburnerr
11-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Ah yes the old one picture is worth a thousand words.

kokomokid
11-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Anyone store boolits with white lingtning lube on them?

Chill Wills
11-10-2011, 07:33 PM
[smilie=l:
I guess the lube does not dry out when you store them IN the lube cake!:holysheep
I think that is what I see in the picture

I love it!:smile:

bigted
11-11-2011, 02:08 PM
[smilie=l:
I guess the lube does not dry out when you store them IN the lube cake!:holysheep
I think that is what I see in the picture

I love it!:smile:

hey hey hey...i also never thought about storing my boolits IN the cake. not likely to be collectin dust n grim this way im bettin. just the stuff this forum is good for...gettin new ideas from others innovative ways.......this is great [ tony the tiger GREAT].

cajun shooter
11-18-2011, 11:32 AM
I tried the styro-foam trays and it was a pain to both load and unload. I have been using the plastic food containers for many years and have had zero problems. Fast and easy and you can see what is in each container. The top has plenty of room for writing bullet description. Later David