PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Even Know What To Say To This "Hunter"...

Josh Smith
11-03-2011, 04:31 AM
Sure, they're "only" squirrel... but still...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6rdFRswtY4

Thoughts?

Josh

HammerMTB
11-03-2011, 09:26 AM
I say good shootin'
at least for the most part. I will add that those who don't hunt may not realize that game does not fall DRT every time. While we strive to make clean kills, it doesn't always happen. I shoot 100+ squirrels a year. When you knock that many down, sometimes they don't die instantly. I find it better not to demonstrate that to the PETA crowd.

sqlbullet
11-03-2011, 10:20 AM
I haven't shot a squirrel in well over 20 years at this point. Been a city boy since I left home at 16.

But, as a kid, I was taught to make head shots on squirrels. I don't every remember shooting one that wasn't a clean kill. I still have the Mossberg 640 and Winchester Model 60 that dad and I used.

HammerMTB is right. Take enough shots and eventually you will get one that doesn't fall DRT. And, they are rodents. Same crowd that looks and this and cries foul thinks nothing of putting out rat bait and letting them crawl off to die a slow painful death from internal bleeding.

But, I would like to think I was, and am, a better marksman than this guy. Not sure though. We took our shots generally at about 25-40 feet, not yards. We were standing, but rested against the corner of the house. I think the Winchester will come shooting next time I go out and I will set some golf balls at about 40 yards and see what I can do.

1Shirt
11-03-2011, 11:08 AM
There is a factor of perspective in this thread. When I was a kid in western N.Y. it was most common for squirrel hunters to use a shotgun. I was taught to hunt with a shotgun, but did kill my first squirrel with a 22, single shot with open sights.
Was probably 14-15 yrs old before I had a 22 with a scope and would try for bushytails at much over 25-30 feet. Scopes were not common back in the late
40's, early 50's, and a lot of 22's were made with no provision for mounting any kind of a scope. With an open sighted 22 as a kid, I made a few head shots, but I also made some other than head shots as well. Not always a clean kill, but a kill none the less.

I used 22 short HP's, (as a kid, they were about .28 cents at the local hardware) and out to 25 yds they will do a good job, but hard to find today. (Long Rifle's were close to .50 cents a box) I am reluctant to knock this hunter as long as the meat goes in the pot.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Love Life
11-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Looks like he was intentionally gut shooting them.

waksupi
11-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Just as exciting to me, as watching someone shoot deer from a blind over a feeder.

Wayne Smith
11-03-2011, 04:37 PM
He obviously doesn't live with a cat. I shot a squirrel with a pellet gun, fell to the ground and a black streak appeared and had that squirrel in his mouth and gone before he quivered more than twice!

Hickory
11-03-2011, 06:41 PM
He obviously doesn't live with a cat. I shot a squirrel with a pellet gun, fell to the ground and a black streak appeared and had that squirrel in his mouth and gone before he quivered more than twice!

I wish I had a cat like that.
All my cats are democrats,
always at the back door looking for a handout.

jonas302
11-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Didn't watch the video but never saw the reason to videotape hunts or drive around with a deer hanging off my tailgate as an avid hunter I would rather keep it that way then give the other side ammunition to twist and turn as they please

HammerMTB
11-03-2011, 07:37 PM

I've had that happen too. Went to go get my bushytail, and the cat got there first....
Can't blame 'em
I wish they'd get up in the trees and get their own, tho.... :lol:

Finster101
11-03-2011, 07:49 PM
I'm not a PETA guy, but anyone that thinks that is good shooting must really suck at it. Looks like he 20 - 25 yds in a blind so he has a rest and can only gut shoot them......over a feeder while they are almost motionless? I did not see a single clean head shot. I think the guy is doing it for s--ts and giggles and that does bother me.

CZGuy
11-03-2011, 09:08 PM
I don't know if they eat them or not, but they should be taking head shots. I lost a few squirrels when I started due to non head shots. The head is the only good spot to hit a squirrel.

Josh Smith
11-03-2011, 09:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOkpcKCjVBg

And the rest of his vids...

http://www.youtube.com/user/KSOLOBRO

I'm just having a lot of trouble being impressed.

In that vid above, he says that he only hunts 10 acres, so he has trouble recovering a lot of deer he shoots!

Josh

cgtreml
11-03-2011, 10:30 PM
When I was in the Boy Scouts some 40 years ago. If you couldn't shoot a 3 shot group at 50 ft. and cover it with a dime we thought you were a spaz. We had a couple of guys that shot their emptys at that range. I guess I don't have a point, just bragging.

barrabruce
11-04-2011, 01:00 AM
Not my cup of tea at all.

I don't call this hunting just shooting.

Couldn't see the squirrel one cos' I haven't a youtube account and didn't bother watching all the deer stuff.

More of a challenge spot lighting rabbits!!!! I don't mind staking out and shooting vermin just that they all deserve a quick and painless death as possible......and yes I have wounded my fair share of stuff over the years...with shot guns rifles etc...but a quick follow up ..track down and kill has always been the endeavour.

And if you ask I do not believe in baiting and disease that wild life and other groups seem to prefer , than to allow hunters to use the meat Hides etc and a quicker more humane death.
Althou I can and do know and understand the necessary reason why they are necessary....but not always seems the right choice.

IF this bloke thinks that slowly letting critters die and watching them bleed out is o.k. then he has no respect for life if he can't do it proper. I'd be too shame to even tell any one I had to gut shoot something for a few jollies. How pathetic and heartless.
I wouldn't take him hunting till he could at least hit where he should be able to or leave the shot till he could.

Do one to others that you would like to do 'un to you..sortta thing.

Barra

starmac
11-04-2011, 01:33 AM
I know lots of squirrel hunters that consider a head shot a miss. There are many that would way rather put a round through the ribs than ruin the brain any day.
I personally don't eat the brains, but know a lot that say that is the best part.

Flinchrock
11-04-2011, 05:05 AM

I hear that!!! I live in the woods and have cats, when they see me get a shotgun and head into the brush, they are going with me. Now, if I could only get them to bring ME the squirrel....

How many of y'all got "huntin' cats"?:-)

Josh Smith
11-04-2011, 05:50 AM
I hear that!!! I live in the woods and have cats, when they see me get a shotgun and head into the brush, they are going with me. Now, if I could only get them to bring ME the squirrel....

How many of y'all got "huntin' cats"?:-)

I did. Norm. Gone several years now.

He was the only cat I could stand to be around for any length of time. I like the critters well enough, but most tend to drive me insane after a bit.

Norm thought he was a dog. He was raised with dogs and when I'd hunt as a teenager, he and ol' Shep (my childhood German Shepherd) would accompany me.

Norm stayed right with Shep and me, and stayed in sight, walking on logs and such.

Shep would retrieve game. Not sure what Norm did. He wouldn't go kill anything. He just liked to come along.

Now I have a dog, Nikki, who is part wolf, part retriever, part Husky, part German Shepherd, and part cat of some sort, I swear she is! But she is my hunting dog, and very intelligent. She'll finish a squirrel by squeezing it if it is showing any signs of life (usually nerves or just expiring from a boiler room or poor head shot). I've not had to stand on one in God-knows-how-long.

But yes, I've hunted with cats. Or, a cat I should say.

Regards,

Josh

twildman
11-04-2011, 07:57 PM
The first squirrel acts like a head of livestock that has been shot in the brain with a .22 or a captive bolt stunner; spasmodic stiffness followed by thrashing in a running motion. Probably it was well and truly unconscious, but still makes bad pr for hunting....

As to felines, we used to have a cat who would catch, kill and EAT jackrabbits that were as big as he was. A bite to the head killed the prey, and all that would be left was the skull and the hind legs, and Scotty would be as round as a basketball.

9.3X62AL
11-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Can't view the video, so can't comment on its content.

I've not hunted tree squirrels very much, but did get a few back in Michigan in 1986 and enjoyed their flavor. Most of my squirrel hunting/shooting has been on ground squirrels, and I don't believe that they can be killed fast enough to make a dent in the population. They are VERMIN, period. I do my best to dispatch them cleanly--223 and 22-250 are good for that duty, and I'm starting to really appreciate the 17 HMR as a decisive whacker of GSs to 150 yards+.

DLCTEX
11-06-2011, 04:06 PM
I once dated a girl (really) whose Dad really like to eat squirrel. To win favor with him I shot about ten and took them to him. He called me a darned fool for shooting them in the head as it ruined the brains.

Josh Smith
11-06-2011, 04:38 PM
I once dated a girl (really) whose Dad really like to eat squirrel. To win favor with him I shot about ten and took them to him. He called me a darned fool for shooting them in the head as it ruined the brains.

But was he at all happy about the thought?

Gee_Wizz01
11-06-2011, 08:17 PM
I used to live a neighborhood where my house backed up to the woods, and we were over run with squirrels. They were getting in my attic and making a mess. So I got my old trusty Benjamin out and started killing squirrels. After on only a few kills, the neighbors big orange cat started to take notice. When ever I fired the pellet rifle he would peer over the fence to see if I got anything. If I hit a squirrel the cat was there in a flash and hauled it away. I killed 17 squirrels in 3 weeks and they were all gone in a flash. I wounded one squirrel, and the cat had him before he made it 10 feet. A few weeks later my neighbor ask me if I was feeding her cat, because he was gaining a lot of weight and wasn't eating his food. I just told her I didn't put out any cat food, but I had seen her cat with a squirrel. She informed me her cat was declawed and couldn't possibly catch a squirrel.

G

Adam10mm
11-06-2011, 08:38 PM
... never saw the reason to...drive around with a deer hanging off my tailgate as an avid hunter I would rather keep it that way then give the other side ammunition to twist and turn as they please
Up until a few years ago, unregistered deer had to have the head visible to the outside of the vehicle until it was registered. Then it could be concealed.

Thankfully in MI, there is no mandated registration and no goofy law like that.

Being said, I've learned a lot of how to stuff from watching others do things on Youtube, namely trapping.

Bret4207
11-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Didn't watch the video but never saw the reason to videotape hunts or drive around with a deer hanging off my tailgate as an avid hunter I would rather keep it that way then give the other side ammunition to twist and turn as they please

x 1000000!!!!!

John Taylor
11-09-2011, 12:11 PM
I don't eat squirrel so never used a 22, they don't bounce around much when hit with a 45-70. I'm talking about ground squirrels not tree rats. Did not watch the video, don't think it is a good idea to film things like that. Just gives the other side ammo to use against us.
Almost as bad as this place which made me laugh. Check out the feral cat hunting with a mortar http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

GT27
11-09-2011, 08:25 PM
No ethics used today,this is why it's so dangerous to hunt anymore,unless the land is private and posted, so many unethical Bubba's out there, a shame!!:roll:

GT27
11-09-2011, 08:29 PM
I used to live a neighborhood where my house backed up to the woods, and we were over run with squirrels. They were getting in my attic and making a mess. So I got my old trusty Benjamin out and started killing squirrels. After on only a few kills, the neighbors big orange cat started to take notice. When ever I fired the pellet rifle he would peer over the fence to see if I got anything. If I hit a squirrel the cat was there in a flash and hauled it away. I killed 17 squirrels in 3 weeks and they were all gone in a flash. I wounded one squirrel, and the cat had him before he made it 10 feet. A few weeks later my neighbor ask me if I was feeding her cat, because he was gaining a lot of weight and wasn't eating his food. I just told her I didn't put out any cat food, but I had seen her cat with a squirrel. She informed me her cat was declawed and couldn't possibly catch a squirrel.

G

Great story,lol!!:drinks:

adrians
11-13-2011, 10:33 AM
9.3x62al .
i disscovered the 17HMR and bought it for my grandson ,i put a laminated red ,white and blue stock on it (kids love colors) and was keeping it hidden from him until he gets to 6 years old, when i think he will be old enough to be educated in gun operation and safety ,but i couldn't wait and your right it's an ace rodent erradicator it really gets out there 150+ no problem.
i may have to get him a 22 instead cos i'm keeping this one,,,(not really )[smilie=1:
on the video i think he must have been using open irons to shoot cos i don't see any "clean kills" or head shots , he was aiming for body mass,
tree rats, vermin, or whatever you want to call them it bothers me to see them die slowly, no problem with a guick head shot though. :evil::coffeecom:twisted:

shooterg
11-13-2011, 11:09 AM
As mentioned above - my Nana always told me to shoot 'em in the neck, DO NOT mess up the brains. Must be an acquired taste, I never liked pork brains either.