PDA

View Full Version : felix lube

lead chucker
11-03-2011, 12:34 AM
I just made some and it feels kind of soft Im looking for 44 mag rifle lube. I just dont know how hard its suposed to be. I made some seaco green and tried it out and my groups at 50 yards scoped rifle were all over the place like buck shot from a shot gun. I cut the parifin in half in the recipe of seaco green. Im thinking it might be to soft. but not sure if the felix works on the same principal as saeco green.

geargnasher
11-03-2011, 12:40 AM
Felix lube generally comes out a little firmer than most flavors of NRA 50/50, but not much. I tweak it to suit the application, but generally I like a soft lube. Lube does not need to be rock-hard to work well for what you're asking of it. Make sure your boolits fit the gun and you won't have leading problems, then lube choice becomes a matter of finding which gives the best accuracy in your particular gun with your particular components and loading techniques.

Gear

BulletFactory
11-03-2011, 12:51 AM
Never could get that stuff to work.

lead chucker
11-03-2011, 12:56 AM
I have heard that if its to slick that it can cause flyers This felix lube i can press between my fingers and it flatens out. So i was wundering if that is to soft and its kind of tacky. Im trying to learn all i can but am burning up alot of amo doing so. I gues thats not a bad thing.

waksupi
11-03-2011, 01:09 AM
That firmness should work okay. Give it a try. If Felix Lube doesn't work for you in pretty much all applications, you didn't make it right. I've used it up to around 2700 fps with good results.

lead chucker
11-03-2011, 01:35 AM
I will give it a try. Thanks for the reply.

btroj
11-03-2011, 08:56 AM
It is a relatively soft lube. It can be a bit gooey during the handling of bullets.

It's abilities as a lube are without question to me. It just plain works.

Maven
11-03-2011, 09:31 AM
"I have heard that if its to slick that it can cause flyers This felix lube i can press between my fingers and it flatens out. So i was wundering if that is to soft and its kind of tacky. Im trying to learn all i can but am burning up alot of amo doing so (sic)."

lead chucker, First, you can firm up Felix Lube by adding a bit more beeswax. (My 1st batch produced the opposite result, btw.) Second, I've been using FL since Nov., 1999 and haven't experienced any flyers which could be attributed to the lube. This is sort of like the loaded question a woman asks a man , "Does this dress make me look fat?" The reply, said under one's breath, "It's not the dress!"

mdi
11-03-2011, 11:53 AM
As an aside...
When I started fixin' up my own lubes,I didn't have any idea what "hard", "sticky" or "soft" or "gooie" was (I don't have any friends that cast). I had always read that commercial lubes were too hard so I compared the commercial lubes with my lubes, on bullets (I had a lot of Beartooth bullets on hand). I made my lubes softer and a bit "stickier" than those that I bought, and later I purchased some lubes from White Lable and use them as comparisons. At least that was a place to start and now I have my own idea of "hard" and "soft"...

fryboy
11-03-2011, 12:13 PM
soft or hard are comparative terms .... most generally agree that a hard lube needs heat to flow in a lubrasizer while soft will flow at room temp ( erm 72-78-ish F ) i suppose one could break it down even further but ... being as my summers can be brutal i prefer the harder lubes but the gun and load get to decide which it prefers ( no matter what i like lolz ) , as noted it's easy enough to make a lube either harder or softer ( add wax or oil as needed/desired ) with the advent of cooler weather softer will seem harder than what it normally is , saeco green IMHO ( when made per recipe ) is slightly hard or at least running on the edge where a lil heat helps with the sizing/lubing , the amazing thing about felix lube is that one can switch it up a bit and it still works well , the actual hardness you can control to what you like , we have people who both swear by and at soft lubes and ditto hard lubes so settle for what the barrel likes best and the burning up of the ammo ? consider it lessons well learnt ;)

mroliver77
11-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Like the others my first batch of Felix lube was too hard. I believe there is more to it than hard or soft. The consistency of FWFL is different than most others at least in my opinion.

I second that Felix is friendly to tweeking but the basic recipe works very well. I run mine where it will flow at 80 degrees F with no heat. 60 D definitely needs a little. It is also my observation that it works well even if it is a little too hard or two soft.

One of the tests I got from Felix is to take a glob of lube and set it in a sunny window. My kitchen sink has a south facing window and it can get very hot there. I left a glob of F lube on a foam plate for like 6 months. It never changed. Other lubes I tried would "sweat" oils
out and/or dry out.

Per Felix's advice I tried using atf in place of the mineral oil. That makes a very slick lube that still worked very well for me.

I am amazed when somebody states that it is too much work or too complicated to make. It is no worse than making a batch of cookies! I cook the polymer in a large batch. It takes very little to make a batch so i just put the rest in the cupboard. I will not have to cook any polymer for a long time!

Jay

largom
11-09-2011, 10:10 PM
That firmness should work okay. Give it a try. If Felix Lube doesn't work for you in pretty much all applications, you didn't make it right. I've used it up to around 2700 fps with good results.

+1 I have used many different lubes and they all worked, but FWFL works the best and gives smaller groups.

Larry

Lefty SRH
11-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Can the Felix lube be used for pan lubing?

fryboy
11-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Can the Felix lube be used for pan lubing?

yes sir , in fact it's many folk's fav pan lube

Lefty SRH
11-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Felix lube, is the carnuba wax a must? I didn't get any.

fryboy
11-18-2011, 05:52 PM
the carnuba isnt in the original recipe and if i recall correctly addint it and lanolin changes it to what is called FWWFL lube ( from "felix's world famous lube" to "felix and wilgen's world famous lube" ) i much prefer it with the carnuba but it isnt required also in my humble opinion the lanolin adds a bit of tack as well as softness and flex

runfiverun
11-18-2011, 05:52 PM
nope.
it just firms things up some and shines the bbl.

saeco green is a hard lube at least the stuff from saeco is. i have never made it i just have some in the garage.

Recluse
11-19-2011, 01:07 AM
A lot of folks also mistakenly equate "hard lube" with "non-tacky lube," and conversely, "soft lube" with "tacky lube."

Not (always) so.

I prefer a tacky lube in everything except for tumble lubing, which is why I kept experimenting and playing around with the LLA/JPW/MS blend I finally settled on.

Carnauba Red (White Label Lubes) is a hard lube that requires heat to flow well, but is also tacky. Both stick lubes I make (my own recipes) are tacky, with one requiring heat to flow.

A lot of commercial casters will use rock-hard lube that isn't tacky. Of course, a lot of people get considerable leading, too (but that isn't always the lube's fault). There are some commercial lubes out there that I swear are straight paraffin and/or hard-candle wax with a crayon tossed in for color. Rock hard. And they don't lube--in my opinion--worth a hoot.

I'll take a tacky lube over a non-tacky lube all day long.

:coffee: