PDA

View Full Version : Presrving Wood

Jason30-30
11-02-2011, 08:55 PM
What Is everybody using to keep there wood stocks in good shape? I have a winchester 94 with satin stocks in great shape and would like to keep it like that.

Would furniture oil work or should i go for the wax?

11-02-2011, 09:50 PM
If it is a fairly recent factory finish likely it is sprayed on polyurethane mat finish. Oil won't do much to protect it and wax won't do much to protect it. The finish is much tougher than either. I'd just put some wax on it. That won't extend the life of the finish but you'll feel better about it and it will give the opportunity to regularly inspect for more damaging things like rust.

leftiye
11-03-2011, 03:14 AM
My son in law wraps them in deerskin (complete with fringes). A little BLO, often mixed with some bzwax is about it for wood. The surface doesn't take much abuse if finished with oil. Polyurethane is a little betterer. And there are epoxy varnishes too. But I didn't hear you wanting to refinish your stocks, eh?

mroliver77
11-06-2011, 10:54 PM
I read old timers would thin beeswax with turpentine and rub it on for a wax finish. Some use BWax+boiled linseed oil+ turp in a 1/3-1/3-1/3 mixture.

I have used the Bwax/turp stuff to finish off an oiled stock. I like the results.
J