PDA

View Full Version : Bull Plate for a bore prep lube

Honolulu
11-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Aloha,

With the good news that Bullshop is back, has anyone used tne Bull Plate lube to pre-condition a clean barrel? If it works to prevent lead smears on a mold would it prevent leading in the bore?

Honolulu.

geargnasher
11-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Absolutely, I religiously use either Bullplate or pure castor bean oil to pre-lube any bores that have been stripped clean. Normally, a couple of patches soaked in Ed's Red and two dry ones is all my guns get after shooting cast, if that. Sometimes I only use the dry patch just to push out the loose powder fouling so it won't collect moisture, and skip the solvent. The point being to preserve the "seasoning" effect of good lube over time, which gets ruined after a good cleaning.

If I've just de-coppered a really fouled gun (usually after buying a used one, since I don't shoot J-words anymore), or had an episode of leading that required some serious cleaning, I'll pre-treat the bore with Bullplate or the castor oil to give it a fighting chance with that first shot. Something in my mind just has to believe it's better than using a regular light gun oil. Probably my imagination. Nothing is magic, if your boolit doesn't fit it will lead the barrel no matter what you put in there, but it IS easier to clean out if you Bullplated it first. Don't use too much, follow a damp patch with a fairly tight dry one before shooting.

Gear

waksupi
11-02-2011, 08:31 PM
If you lube your boolits with Felix Lube, wipe your bore with Ed's Red, and run one clean patch through the bore before shooting again, your first shot should be in the group.

Wayne S
11-02-2011, 09:07 PM
OK, I didn't get the memo, What is "Ed's Red" and where does one find it ? :bigsmyl2:

geargnasher
11-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Search the forum for "ed's+red", several excellent threads on it lately. Also, google will turn up the original article by Ed himself.

Waksupi, what you say is very true.

Gear

cbrick
11-02-2011, 09:17 PM
OK, I didn't get the memo, What is "Ed's Red" and where does one find it ? :bigsmyl2:

C.E. Harris.

Here is the recipe to Ed's Red by the man himself.

http://www.lasc.us/EdsRedBoreCleaner.htm

Now you have the memo. :coffeecom

Rick

Bad Water Bill
11-02-2011, 09:47 PM
When did Dan come back? The last time I can find him posting was in August.

montana_charlie
11-02-2011, 10:02 PM
When did Dan come back? The last time I can find him posting was in August.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=132119