PDA

View Full Version : .44 Special O.A.L.??

David Turner
11-02-2011, 05:18 PM
I purchased one of the .44 Special Ruger flattops from Lipsey's (medium frame) and have purchased some Coyote boolits (Michigan Co) in 240 gr. RNFPBB @ .431" dia. Dutch gave me load data for a Lyman boolit (#429667) that appears the same as the Coyote so I have Titegroup and Unique (powders I have on hand)load information. My question is to Overall Length. The data indicates 1.500"OAL. If I seat the boolit so that the case is just right at the top of the cannelure, it measures 1.435" OAL. Should I leave more of the cannelure showing to get to the 1.500"?

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

frnkeore
11-03-2011, 01:25 AM
44 Spec and 44 Mag very a lot on OAL. It depends on the crimp groove on the bullet. I load mine out as far as possible and still be able to crimp into the groove. Just keep it at lest .030 shorter than the cylinder length so, that it can't tie the cylinder up and you'll be ok. Ofcourse, pay attention the the OAL with the loading data you use. Long won't hurt but, shorter than the list data can rise pressures. In your case, you should lower the charge about 1/2 to 1 gr. Your gun is plenty strong but, if your looking for a certain velocity, you'll probably have to lower the charge. If you looking accuracy shoot it as is and then play with the charge if you need better.

Frank

mdi
11-04-2011, 12:44 PM
I can't remember the last time I measured the OAL on my .44 Special or .44 Magnum reloads. When I started reloading in '69 I didn't know about/consider OAL, I just crimped in the crimp groove and have had no trouble since then. I figger the bullet designers take into consideration the location of the crimp groove as it will affect OAL and case volume (And of course you'll be using starting loads and working up while looking for pressure signs :???: ). I shoot mostly Lyman and LBT design bullets (but one of my favorited is Ranch Dog's 265 gr. FN). Been working for me for a few years...

mroliver77
11-05-2011, 06:03 PM
You have a boolit that resembles the one the load data is for. The load can be used for a place to start.
Similer boolit, same weight, reduce charge 10% and work up from there. Dont worry about the oal, just set it to crimp in the crimp groove. If one is looking for max powder room or working with a boolit not intended for this application the what Frank says to crimp in a lube groove that gets boolit nose close as possible to cylinder face works well as long as there is enough boolit leftin the case.
The only reason I worry about what the oal is is to make sure a loaded round will feed or not be too long for a cylinder. When I set up a semi auto or bolt gun that I am setting boolit X amount from rifling. I record the oal in these circumstances so that when I load again I can repeat this EXACT load.
Hopefully this makes sense to you.
J