PDA

View Full Version : Remington R1 1911

KCSO
11-02-2011, 04:57 PM
I finally got a couple of these in the shop and I right away grabbed one off for myself to go with my Remington Rand WWII gun that belonged to my Uncle. Here is the real skinny one the Remington...

The gun is an odd mixture as it is part WWI, Part WWII and part modern. The safety and the flat mainspring housing are WWI but the rest of the gun is basicly a WWII 1911A1 with better sights and an expert throating job. The gun is medium tight frame to slide but the barrel and bushing are fitted tight. This is fine with me because frame to slide has little to do with accuracy and the looser fit makes the gun dead reliable right out of the box. The feed ramp is well polished and the gun passed my test of a proper feed ramp as it chambered an empty case from the magazine. Nary a bobble with my favorite hollowpoint the flying ashtrays either. In fact the gun fed mixed magazines of everything from hollowpoints ot 185 grain cast lead semi wad cutters.

The proof of the pudding was a trip to the range. At 25 yards from the bench this gun shoots as good as ANY 45 I have owned. My 210 sw lead loads with 4.2 grains of Bullseye went in right at 2" and even cheap Aguila hard ball was under 2 1/2". This gun is one shooting machine. From the box the groups were dead center and my carry hollowpoints are just 1 1/2" low. Cast loads are dead on the money and that is something I don't find too often. The fact that the trigger came from the box at 4 pounds even sure didn't hurt the shooting. Even thought this is a seriese 80 style trigger it is super for a factory gun. I would be hard pressed to equual this with the best custom parts.

Now the biggest change from a 1911 or 1911A1 configuration are the large WIDE 3 dot sights. I am not a fan of dots but the sights are about perfect for my old eyes. The wide back notch and the square front post are easy to align and make a flash sight picture easy.

The only issue I see with the gun would be for someone with chubby hands, the gun has the standard WWII grip safety and you could get bit. I have long fingers and somewhat slender hands so i don't have any issues with the gun as is, if my fat handed brother was shooting this gun he would be opting for a beavertail safety before the day was out.

I was very pleased with the gun, so much so that it now rides on my duty belt. It has everything you need and none of the fluff you don't. My only additions will be a long trigger and a captured recoil spring plug. I don't want my plug arcing off into the weeds if I have to field strip and clean on the back bumper of the jeep and my long fingers like the long trigger.

thegreatdane
11-03-2011, 12:22 AM
What an excellent write up! I love my R1.

MtGun44
11-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Sounds like Rem is doing a good job on the R1. Good to know.

Bill

Ragnarok
11-04-2011, 09:44 AM
I bought a Remington R1 earlier in the year...good pistol..but not perfect!

Mine had some casting imperfections inside the frame dustcover..which left a rub-line on the scalloped out portion of the slide...just had the mold/casting issue on the right side...I cleaned it up with a dremal and a small sanding drum..cold blued the finish on the slide where it rubbed.

The slide-stop interfered bigtime with the ammo in the mag..the little nubbie sticking way out into the magwell. I reduced this down so it doesn't interfere with the aammo in the mag..This probably being the worst issue with my Rem 1911. Never jammed or locked open early for me..but did for my son.

Rear sight set screw came loose...No...I didn't lose the rear sight...but it for sure came loose..and the setscrews are tiny! So check your setscrews frequently.

The rest of it as described above...sort of a plain 1911...but an excellent shooter.