PDA

View Full Version : Why so drastic ??

Jack Stanley
11-02-2011, 04:39 PM
I sighted the Marlin 1894c with 185 grain LBT bullets in a thirty-eight case , it has a heavy charge ( for Unique ) that will cut clover leaf groups pretty well . I also have a .357 load using AA #9 and the same bullet and it hits rather close to the same point of aim with similar accuracy .

Now comes the sticky part when I use lighter bullets they all shoot higher on the target and some way more than others . My version of lighter bullet in this case is hundred fifty to hundred sixty grain bullets . It just doesn't seem like it should be doing that but then I might be spoiled by the last 1894c I had that put everything where the sights was looking without adjustment .

I can understand some difference but might there be a tuning issue of the gun I need to look at ?

Thanks , Jack

missionary5155
11-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Good morning
This sure is the direct opposite of what I would think to happen... unless the 158 loads are so slow there is time for more muzzle rize than with the 185 grainers.
About what velocity are the two loads ?
Mike in Peru

Jack Stanley
11-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Velocities I can't say , I am using thirty-eight special cases for this . The load for the 185 is 4.7 grains of Universal clays , the lighter loads went from 4.5 to 5.5 grains of Unique and the bullets used have been 358477 , 358439 and the lyman "cowboy" .

The 358439 with my alloy weighs 152 lubed and ready to load . I've tried an overall length of 1.570 to 1.525 with a very moderate crimp and re-trying the powder ranges when I changed length . The shorter length may be a little more accurate than the longer length . Niether length seems to be the most reliable when it comes to feeding in the carbine but then I may be spoiled by the performance of the LBT bullet .

I'd really like to make this hollow point shoot to the sights as the heavy bullets do if it's possible . I just don't want to fool with the sights all the time , all loads tried in the 686 four inch group close enough to being the same that I can keep the same sight setting for all .

Thanks, Jack