PDA

View Full Version : Pure lead WW's !!!!!$$$$$

3006guns
11-02-2011, 08:48 AM
That's right folks! I stopped at our local scrap yard a couple of days ago, just to see if they might have any WW's (getting scarce in my neck of the woods). I met the owner for the first time. He owns/manages several yards and this is the first time I've actually seen him on site. I usually deal with the employees on a one to one basis.

I approached him in my usual good natured manner and was greeted with a rather stand offish attitude. After all, we're talking scrap here, and I simply didn't understand that all of that metal piled up in the mud made him a king, by golly.

So, I asked about WW's........and got a lecture about how they were "pure lead", highly in demand for research purposes AND a hazardous material to boot. He might be convinced to sell a few, for research purposes, at $1.75/lb.:veryconfu

I did NOT get any WW's, but I WILL go back when I can deal with the employees.

Defcon-One
11-02-2011, 10:17 AM
The LAB called, they said how about $1.65/lb. if we take it in bulk, say a whole 10 pound lot?

Sounds like the KING is full of Pure BS! The truth is, he probably doesn't know anything at all about it, he just made it all up to IMPRESS you!

Actually, I use all of my lead for research, mostly velocity and impact studies!

onesonek
11-02-2011, 10:48 AM
While there is a growing affliction of clueless going on around the country,,,it isn't very smart of a business owner/manager to assume that of any potential customer.
I didnt quite get that load of BS from the local scrap yard here, but when I did inquire, I was still amazed. Eventually he said he would sell me some at a $1.80/lb.
I politely told him I would pass, as I could buy smelted ingotized ww's online for a buck a lb shipped, so no need for me to pay nearly foundry retail for raw WW's.
At first he looked at me in disbelief, then quickly realized he may have just tried taking advantage of someone, other than an idiot.
What amaze's me also, is thier lack of comprehension or understanding, or at least this guy's.
First thing he asked , "what you need them for". In telling him, "to cast my own boolit's",,,, should have been his first clue,,,,,by nature we are a frugal lot. Otherwise, why would we be searching such a source.

Suo Gan
11-02-2011, 10:57 AM
That's right folks! I stopped at our local scrap yard a couple of days ago, just to see if they might have any WW's (getting scarce in my neck of the woods). I met the owner for the first time. He owns/manages several yards and this is the first time I've actually seen him on site. I usually deal with the employees on a one to one basis.

I approached him in my usual good natured manner and was greeted with a rather stand offish attitude. After all, we're talking scrap here, and I simply didn't understand that all of that metal piled up in the mud made him a king, by golly.

So, I asked about WW's........and got a lecture about how they were "pure lead", highly in demand for research purposes AND a hazardous material to boot. He might be convinced to sell a few, for research purposes, at $1.75/lb.:veryconfu

I did NOT get any WW's, but I WILL go back when I can deal with the employees.

I wonder if the research Labs who are interested in the old wheel weights are black and furry, and also highly interested in ducks? What a quack!

You ought to call and tell him you have lead to sell, I would be very curious what he is offering per pound. My guess is around ten or maybe 15 cents a pound.

GSCSA
11-02-2011, 11:57 AM
One of my local yards sells me WW @ .39c/lb. Turns out the guy in charge a fellow caster.

shtur
11-02-2011, 01:13 PM
I've dealt with 3 different scrap metal owners, they sell everyting as if it was gold plated and pay for scrap as if it was rusted out metal.

leadchunker
11-02-2011, 07:51 PM
I get mine free from a local tire store. I bring them some fishing sinkers from time to time and buy my tires from them.

Dirtdgger
11-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Just picked up a five gal bucket at tire shop the guys there give them to me free I always give them a twenty for lunch. Keeps me in ww's.

Bula
11-02-2011, 08:12 PM
You ought to call and tell him you have lead to sell, I would be very curious what he is offering per pound. My guess is around ten or maybe 15 cents a pound.

Great point. Not sure why the attitude with some of these guys.

Az Rick
11-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Most of my research with WW's has been in the area of "high speed lead poisoning".

Results just in,... most game and varmint animals will not survive if your aim is good.

leadbutt
11-02-2011, 09:57 PM
i picture this guy 300#, dirty, greasy, beatup cigar in his mouth and wearing an old net baseball cap.

chambers
11-02-2011, 10:22 PM
I use several techniques: no sense in buying from a scrapyard if you can buy direct(tire store) and cut the middle man out.
Second ask a scrapyard first what they are paying for lead , then ask what the selling price is, yes they are business for a profit but you will be able to see who is honest.

adrians
11-03-2011, 08:01 AM
i have a little buddy who works at a used tyre shop/shed and for a pack of cigarettes he saves all the ww for me .
a kroger bag every 10 days or so,,, not bad for a $5 pack of smokes.
god bless his cotten socks ,,lol

Roundnoser
11-03-2011, 08:39 AM
I used to get my WWs for free (still do at a couple of places on my "route"), but other places I pay scrap price (about 20 cents/Lb around here). I figure its still a good deal. -- Every once in awhile, I get lucky and get bulk lead scraps...pipes, sheets, bars, solder, etc.

Frank V
11-03-2011, 05:45 PM
I get mine free from a local tire store. I bring them some fishing sinkers from time to time and buy my tires from them.

Buying your tires @ the local shop helps when you need WWs.
Frank

leadbutt
11-04-2011, 01:37 AM
Buying your tires @ the local shop helps when you need WWs.

I just plain refuse to buy tires from a shop that wont at least sell me their used WWs if not kickem out for free.

L. Bottoms