PDA

View Full Version : Ruger #1 trigger question?

broomhandle
11-02-2011, 01:05 AM
Hi Guys,

I have seen a few posts here & the Ruger #1 board that mention the standard 650 gr hammer fall is over kill. The hammer fall really moves the rifle some amount ...that cannot be good for accuracy shooting.

The "speed" hammer (If I can get one) weighs about 325 / 350 grains.
I'm told the rifle is less likly to move & lock time is improved some amount.

I'm thinking about using a carbide drill or Dremel grinding wheel to lighten up the stock hammer, to about 375 gr. with the standard spring. This would have the result of less movment in the rifle better accuracy & some slight improvment in lock time.
I'm a retired Tool & Die maker so I have a idea of how & what I'm doing.

My thought is that many people don't think the stronger spring is really needed at all.
The money saves would be spent in more shooting.

Thanks for any help,
broomhandle

calaloo
11-02-2011, 07:35 AM
I shot a #3 with the light hammer and the standard spring in an ASSRA style bench rifle for a while. When I changed to the stronger spring I saw an improvement in scores. The hammer in my rifle is manufactored by Mould's Inc. It comes with a matching Wolff spring.

elk hunter
11-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Too light firing pin or hammer fall can cause inconsistent primer ignition and result in degradation of accuracy. If the accuracy of your rifle falls off when you lighten the hammer a new stiffer spring may help.

Let us know how it works.