PDA

View Full Version : Scrap Metal Forum- the scrappers discuss lead

NHGrumpyGramps
11-01-2011, 06:37 PM
I was surfing and found site that has a forum for scrap metal dealers. I was surprised that there was such a site, but I suppose there would be some that would find it a surprise that there is a forum for cast bullets. Apparently, there are lots of people out there looking for scrap lead just like we are, but they want to turn it into scrap versus having a useful purpose like most of us do. Thought I would share this with everyone so they can see how the "other side" thinks.

link is http://www.scrapmetalforum.com

One thread that I found was dealing with selling wheel weights on ebay and it kind of shows what some of the sellers outside of this forum know or don't know about wheel weights as we would use them for boolits'

http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/showthread.php/4652-Lead-Wheel-Weights?highlight=lead%2B+Wheel%2Bweight

jsizemore
11-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the link Gramps. I wonder what other 'expert' advice Gus has offered in the past.

onesonek
11-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Sometimes the uniformed, just need to be informed,,, lol

darkroommike
11-02-2011, 09:10 AM
I was amazed that these "experts" didn't mention sorting out steel wheel weights with a magnet, I'm a third generation scrapper, paid for about a third of my college education (beer) with scrap. I have a small "super magnet" from an old name tag that I carry on my key chain.

I use it to sort wheel weights, when shopping the thrift stores and when sorting aluminum cans for salvage as well.

Powellcole5490
11-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Found a scrapper near my house on the website. I'm trying to see if he will sell WW to me because I'm a scrapper and caster for fishing weights...wink wink!

3006guns
11-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Found a scrapper near my house on the website. I'm trying to see if he will sell WW to me because I'm a scrapper and caster for fishing weights...wink wink!

LOL! I tried that once years ago, told the guy I was casting "surf" weights. He looked at me a little odd.......I forgot that we're 180 miles inland. He finally just said "Whatever...." and sold them to me anyway.

11-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Thats an interesting thread:

"Hate to be the bearer of bad news, your not selling lead.

Lead use on wheel weights has been banned for years, what your getting is zinc. ReallY?

A quick way to tell if its zinc, melt a couple skim the dross off then pour into a cast iron frying pan, on cooling you will have these neat crystals form that look similar to the same crystals on galvanized metal dipped in zinc. REALLY?

Hang a wheel weight onto string then tap it with a bit of steel, if it rings it's zinc. Lead is dead and has no ring to it.

The good news is that your zinc has more demand than lead because of the laws pertaining to it. The only sport that I'm aware of that can legally use lead shot is the black powder boys with their muskets and flintlocks."

Umm...nevermind.

para45lda
11-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Funny. Their number of viewers just spiked - again.

evan price
11-03-2011, 07:01 PM
LOL for the bad info in that thread...

I'm a scrapper...most of the ones I meet are really low life types. Some are cool, guys cleaning stuff out, hustling to make money. They are outnumbered ten to one by the scumbags and thieves wanting to make enough money to score a bag of dope or rock and a couple 40 ouncers. The ones that will steal copper and brass while their partner slowly unloads sheetmetal. We had scumbags bringing in appliances full of bricks, barrels full of water, newspaper boxes with the newspapers still in them, park benches, city trashcans, obvious stolen **** all the time. While they are throwing off the junk their buddy walks around the yard with a pair of cutters chopping the cords off appliances, pipe stubs off of water heaters, faucets off of sinks, and any loose radiators or catalytic convertors they can grab. We had trucks going out heavier than they came in.
Ya gotta watch the yobboes.

a.squibload
11-04-2011, 01:54 AM
You need scrapyard gaurds!

leadbutt
11-04-2011, 03:20 AM
judging by gus apparently we am the smerter groupe. lol

mrbillbus
11-04-2011, 07:57 AM
I'm not sure mocking the folks on the other forum is the way to go. Would you mock the local tire guy just because he doesn't know casting like you do?

Everyone here is looking for lead sources. Everyone there is looking for someone to sell their scrap to. They find metal, you want to buy metal. Maybe y'all could make each other happy.

Why potentially aggravate a lead source?

mrbillbus
11-04-2011, 07:59 AM
LOL for the bad info in that thread...

I'm a scrapper...most of the ones I meet are really low life types. Some are cool, guys cleaning stuff out, hustling to make money. They are outnumbered ten to one by the scumbags and thieves wanting to make enough money to score a bag of dope or rock and a couple 40 ouncers. The ones that will steal copper and brass while their partner slowly unloads sheetmetal. We had scumbags bringing in appliances full of bricks, barrels full of water, newspaper boxes with the newspapers still in them, park benches, city trashcans, obvious stolen **** all the time. While they are throwing off the junk their buddy walks around the yard with a pair of cutters chopping the cords off appliances, pipe stubs off of water heaters, faucets off of sinks, and any loose radiators or catalytic convertors they can grab. We had trucks going out heavier than they came in.
Ya gotta watch the yobboes.

Except for the first line, your post could have been made by any number of folks over there. They have no use for the meth heads either.

white eagle
11-04-2011, 08:20 AM
I'm not sure mocking the folks on the other forum is the way to go. Would you mock the local tire guy just because he doesn't know casting like you do?

Everyone here is looking for lead sources. Everyone there is looking for someone to sell their scrap too. They find metal, you want to buy metal. Maybe y'all could make each other happy.

Why potentially aggravate a lead source?
no truer words have been spoken
all of us look at one very small aspect when there is a sea of scrap being brought in

leadbutt
11-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Ok i take it back. I guess im using the one guy who thought he knew everything to judge them as a whole. So far ive just been competing with the other side for the same resources. Look at it like football... I love the Ravens so you can guess how i feel about the Stealers. I dont want to mess up any relationships anyone here is trying to make with the other site and I guess I didnt use alot of forethought before my post. For that I apologize. But if they would leave my tire shops alone id love them a lil more.

L. Bottoms