PDA

View Full Version : What is this and what am i missing?

Link23
11-01-2011, 11:22 AM
My gun dealer goes to police auctions all the time and i just tell him, if you see any gun for under 50 bucks buy it for me, working or not. Well he called and told me he got one and for me to come pick it up, well i dont know much at all about Enfields. All i can find is M/740 or M/74C i really cant tell and then 1944 under that.

i dont know what kind this is, i dont know what im missing and im pretty sure there is a new barrel put on it ill send more pictures when i can, but for now this is all i have, thanks for the help!

Link23

Mk42gunner
11-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Looks like a sporterized No 4 Lee-Enfield missing its rear sight to me. I am sure some of the more knowledgeable Enfield shooters will have more info.

Robert

midnight
11-01-2011, 03:09 PM
It is a sporterized No. 4 Lee-Enfield. It is missing the rear sight and the ejector screw. More pics and we can identify it further.

Bob

Bloodman14
11-01-2011, 03:19 PM
It should read M/47C and should be a BSA/Shirley, I believe. Don't hold me to that. Ditto on the rear sight and screw; looks like the rear sight assembly was machined off for a scope mount of some kind. Bubba'd? Maybe not, depending on the quality of work and whether you can duplicate what was done.

Multigunner
11-01-2011, 03:25 PM
If theres no official target or sporting sight that fits this altered receiver you might consider going all the way with it and replicate the commercial sporter of the type where the rear sight stanchions and charger guide were cut away and the left sidewall lowered.
I think the Golden State Supreme was one of these.

These made for some handsome sporting rifles, barrel mounted open sight of course.

Link23
11-01-2011, 03:47 PM
yeah i took off some scope mounts, and i took off the ejector screw i didnt know it was the ejector screw, there are NO marks on the barrel no marks when i take the wood off no nothing, im going to get some chamber casting stuff and cast the chamber on it to make sure it is a 303, i dont want to get myself killed

Link23

gnoahhh
11-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Heck, for $50 it could missing a lot more than that and be a good buy!

Bloodman14
11-01-2011, 04:14 PM
No barrel marks at all?? Need good pics of the receiver ring and left side of receiver.

Link23
11-01-2011, 11:07 PM
No barrel marks at all, im pretty sure its a new barrel someone put on with no markings what so ever, so i bought some cerro safe just to make sure!
Link23

EMC45
11-02-2011, 12:38 PM
You can also mix up some runny Bondo body filler and oil up the chamber and make a casting with it. It doesn't shrink.

Dead Dog Jack
11-02-2011, 04:54 PM
It should read M/47C and should be a BSA/Shirley, I believe. Don't hold me to that.

100% correct. It is a No. 4 and the wartime code for BSA (who made No. 4s) was M47C.

Bubba'd? Maybe not

Sorry, but I'm a purist, so....it's bubba'd!

Dead Dog Jack
11-02-2011, 04:56 PM
No barrel marks at all, im pretty sure its a new barrel someone put on with no markings what so ever, so i bought some cerro safe just to make sure!
Link23

I, too, would like to see some pics of the receiver and breech end of the barrel under the wood.

What is the length of the barrel? Also, some photos of the front sight and how it is attached would help determine if it is original.

Multigunner
11-02-2011, 05:17 PM
IIRC most if not all 7.62 conversion barrels had no bayonet lugs.

If the owner still has the scope base that was on it, it might be best to use it.

There were some Hong Kong police sharpshooter rifles built from standard No.4 rifles, using a locally made copy of the No.4 (T) scope mount and pads. The mount was of cast aircraft alloy and scope was a TASCO product.
I haven't seen and close ups of these actions, but from the description they would have looked no different than the No.4 (T). No reason for this sort of alteration to the action body.

Whether any other non UK No.4 user ever tried an alternative scope mount for sniper rifles is something I've not heard of.
Canada did make up some experimental No.4 based sniper rifles using American scopes like the Lyman Alaskan, I don't know whether they tried any alternative mounts as well.
There were also sporter styled conversions used as RCAF survival rifles and some experimental rifles such as the No.4 Lightened rifles were later turned over to Canadian police for use in animal control. Haven't seen any records of radical alterations of these though the police departments may have altered a few to suit their needs.

Most likely someones ambicious bubba project rifle.