PDA

View Full Version : Wind screen ideas please

milprileb
11-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Gents,
I got a Bayou Turkey Cooker burner to so smelting. Very stable rig but I smelt
outside and there is always a wind.

Is there some flashing or other Lowes/ Home Depot/ Ace Hardware item that
I can use to make a wind screen that does not melt ?

Your thoughts and ideas very much appreciated.

Westwindmike
11-01-2011, 09:55 AM
I use a piece of galvanized stove pipe as a wind screen. I have it opened up into a "C" shape, and can move it around the cooker as necessary.

JSnover
11-01-2011, 12:13 PM
I use a piece of galvanized stove pipe as a wind screen. I have it opened up into a "C" shape, and can move it around the cooker as necessary.

+1. Cheap, easy, pretty near perfect.

bearcove
11-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Any sheet metal thin enough to bend will work.

milprileb
11-02-2011, 05:52 AM
Was worried such metal would melt but seems you gents have
broken the code. Will pursue this solution and I thank you for
your experience shared.

Respects.

Sonnypie
11-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Move to the other side of the house. :bigsmyl2:

milprileb
11-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Love those California solutions to life !

However, living on a slope, selection is limited to where I
set up the smelting operation outside.:groner::groner:

blackbike
11-16-2011, 12:01 AM
Well I had the same problem, and the next week I was scraping out an old single phase welder(plenty of copper in one of these), and when left with all the other junk, BINGO.

leadlober
11-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Ace Hardware sells galvanized metal in various widths by the foot, used for roof flashing, etc. I bought 3' of the 12 " wide metal and just wrapped/overlapped it around my 2 qt. cast iron pot, leaving a 1" space all around and clamped it together with a pair of vicegrips. I use this on the side burner of an old gas BBQ grill. I can easily change the diameter to fit different size pots depending on how much I have to melt. For the big turkey burner, I found an old metal trash can with the bottom rusted out and it does the job just fine. Just don't breath the fumes from the galvanize coating as it burns off. Bad stuff but it goes away after the first use.

milprileb
11-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Sir, many thanks. I am off to ACE as its closer to me

jsizemore
11-19-2011, 11:59 PM
I use the sheet metal outer jacket from an electric hot water heater. The top uses screws to hold it on. Then I cut the height to include the cooker plus dutch oven on top. Cut along the axis of the inspection covers for the elements/thermostats from top to bottom. Wrap that around the cooker so the hose for burner goes in through the inspection hole and overlap the 2 cut edges and use a pair of vise-grips to hold together.

Fill the dutch oven with WW and fire off the cooker. Wrap the cover around and clamp. Put the top on. Slip your thermometer in one of the pipe holes of the top so it extends into the melt. When the smoke drops off while your sorting for the next batch, you can look through one of the other holes at the condition of your WW's and check your melt temp. Remove top and stir. I store mine wrapped around a pine tree in the yard. It's called rustic art, not junk.

milprileb
11-20-2011, 08:36 AM
I need a pine tree like yours. Great idea and I am sure it will be of use
to others as its quite innovative!!!!! If I had the old water heater, I would go
for it but where one finds one is beyond me. I may call some places that
install new ones and see if I can get a dead one to use for this purpose.

btroj
11-20-2011, 01:23 PM
I have tought about a piece or roll flashing wrapped around the outer ring of the burner stand. Still a few holes, add some screws and all is done.
Just need to get around to doing it.