PDA

View Full Version : just got me a 44 mag RSB, now what?

JTknives
11-01-2011, 02:53 AM
well after some horse trading i got a ruger super blackhawk that was built it 1975. it has the 7.5" barrel and the square trigger guard that im not to found of. the bluing is very warn and needs to be redone if i decide to do what i planed on doing to it. My friend who i got it from said he got it in this condition and it wount group much at all and that the barrel needs replacing. which was ok with me because i was planing on doing a .500 LINEBAUGH on it. but now im kinda doubting me self, should i chop up an old pistol and is the barrel really that bad. i have a 45 colt OLD vaquero so i can get all the power i need out of that and did not see the point of a 44 mag. i was planing on replacing the barrel with a .510 barrel and buying a bisley grip frame and making a 5 shot cylinder for it. it would be a fun project as long as i don't end up destroying some thing that i should have not messed with. I need some advice as to how i shoudl proceed. i cleaned the barrel and it was not very dirty but you can kinda see some light circle twist lines in the barrel. like what would be left if you drilled it or used a dull reamer to finish a hole. i'm wondering if this is normal? here is a picture of it, sorry its not very clear. but other then the that the bore looks great. there is no flame cutting and everything looks very solid. just wear on the outside finish. the forcing cone looks like it was not cut with a nice sharp cutter kinda scratchy. but 44mag bullets are cheep if i need to buy them lol so that a plus. thanks for all your help.

EDIT: just slugged the bore and its .431 and it will take a .417 pin. seams like very deep rifling?

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/385071_2621451622557_1443189422_33043199_8154004_n .jpg

subsonic
11-01-2011, 07:16 AM
Shoot it and see what happens. AFAIK, you have nothing special.

If you have the skills to build a .500L and want one, do it.

98Redline
11-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Agreed. A new model SBH in good condition is worth about $300-$375. Yours looks well used and I would put somewhere just south of $300. Looks like a perfect project gun.

JTknives
11-01-2011, 03:28 PM
maybe a 50AE woudl be a good chamberign for it. i have a 50AE desert eagle so i already reload for it.

98Redline
11-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Maybe a better option would be 500 JRH. Same bore and cylinder requirements without the issue with the bullets jumping crimp like the 50AEs tend to do.

44man
11-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Maybe a better option would be 500 JRH. Same bore and cylinder requirements without the issue with the bullets jumping crimp like the 50AEs tend to do.
Yes, or the .475. I hate the AE in a revolver. I hate the ACP in a revolver but I figured out that bugger.
Yet, as a .44 with a decent bore, the thing will shoot.
The gun looks good but the stool seat shows massive gas leakage! :drinks:[smilie=1::mrgreen:

frankenfab
11-02-2011, 11:05 AM
maybe a 50AE woudl be a good chamberign for it. i have a 50AE desert eagle so i already reload for it.

My .500 Linebaugh is built on a SBH. I have bought another SBH just like the one it was built on, with plans of building another .500 Linebaugh myslef.

I too, have a Desert Eagle .50AE. I had a Freedom Arms in .50AE for a while, and never could stop bullet pull with decent powered boolit loads. You just can't crimp enough since the cartridge headspaces on the mouth.

Now, a moon clip .50AE conversion on a SRH would be a different story.

I love the .500 Linebaugh myself. It is my favorite revovlver cartridge.

The .500 JRH is next on my list to get!

JT, check your PMs

PacMan
11-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Thanks 44 Man i needed a good laugh for the day.

JTknives
11-03-2011, 05:26 AM
well i think im going to go ahead and do the conversion. but im going to go pull out all the stops and do as much as i can in house. going to reshape the trigger guard by cutting, bending and welding. then going to completely reshape the grip frame by cutting and bending in the back strap and welding to give me more of a bisley grip as well as re profile the front strap a bit to give it more of a straight drop. then replace the barrel and make a new 5 shpt cylinder. then mod the cylinder lug so it does not drag around the cylinder and give the hammer a half cock. i will take pictures of the entire process from start to finish and put it in special projects.