PDA

View Full Version : 44 mag lube

lead chucker
11-01-2011, 12:32 AM
I have read that proper lube will help prevent flyers. I am curently having flyers with 2 rifles a ruger 77/44 and cva scout 44 mag both rifles shoot high first shot and then group up lower i use 310 gr lee gc I ca not remember my recipe for lube it has bees wax and parifin and vasoline its a soft lube and i hand lube one at a time. both rifles shoot good groups but theres always a flyer in the mix. I try to make sure the gas checks are on straight. I trickle charge each load i use 2400 my bullets test at 14 brinell with my seco tester. Any info on a good home made lube for a 44 mag shooting at outside tem 50 F or less. I would apreciate any help with this.

leftiye
11-01-2011, 05:26 AM
Use a lube that doesn't coat your bore and HARDEN when cold. Something like speed green or 357 max's lube that is designed for colder weather, and DOESN'T BUILD UP and harden.

runfiverun
11-01-2011, 05:27 AM
i'd suggest replacing some of the vaseline with something else.
lanolin,atf,stp, carnuba,lithium grease,some jpw straight from the can, or just using less vaseline.
you need to find a viscosity balance.
what i think is happening is the first shot is not releasing the lube the same way as the rest of the shot string, or it is pushing old hardened lube from the bbl.
if you see evidence of the first soften the lube some.
if you see evidence of the second, try less vaseline,some ivory soap, or some carnuba.
possibly just adding a softener will help.