PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone ever see.......

hiram
11-01-2011, 12:23 AM
I was watching a youtube video the other night and now I can't find it.

I saw a guy using a type of adapter where you put a plastic cigarette lighter and the unit became a torch.

Did anyone ever see that?

Any info?

Thanks.

Reg
11-01-2011, 12:30 AM
I think they showed the same thing on that gold mining show on Discovery or perhaps it was the History channel. Fellow used it to solder the leads on some electrical wiring.
Have seen them advertised before and know they are out there. Try checking it out on your computer.

:drinks:

runfiverun
11-01-2011, 04:43 AM
most every tool house has them, they take the square type of lighters. [not the bic's] and have been around for years [the 80's airc]
call the closest napa,harbor freight,etc..

Bret4207
11-01-2011, 06:13 AM
I have a couple of the pencil torches you charge with a butane canister. Sounds similar. Mine never worked good at all.

Mk42gunner
11-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Like Runfive says, they don't take Bics; so if you get one, I would stock up on the disposable lighters that it uses. It seems to me that the offbrand lighters change dimensions every few years.

Robert

Bad Water Bill
11-01-2011, 06:00 PM
The pencil torch was a gimick. I have NEVER had one that worked as advertised.

redneckdan
11-02-2011, 12:52 PM
I had one of the radio shack versions of the lighter torch, had piezo ignition. Worked awesome. Lost is some where. Have had two versions of the radio shacks pencil torch, both worked good. Obviously these don't kick the heat that a full size propane torch does. But they work great for emergency solder repairs in the field.