PDA

View Full Version : Lee 310 gr

lead chucker
10-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Hi I have a 310 gr lee mold and would like to know what variance is acceptable they come out 308-315 gr Shooting a 44 mag at 70 yards how critical is it. My cva 44 rifle shoot good groups but there are always flyers. My brinell is 14 and these are mag loads 2400 and first cold shot is always 2-3 inches high. What is the most common cause of flyers? andy help would be great.

singleshot
10-31-2011, 08:49 PM
I'm not sure what CVA model you have but many, including Handi's are not stress relieved. What does that mean? The first shot is actually where the rifle is aiming, as the barrel heats up it deforms and POI changes.

If you sight in at 100 yards, 7 grains of boolit at 1300-1400 fps will make no difference in any hunting situation at 70 yards unless you're going after squirrels.

I have that exact mold, and my variance is a few grains, at most. I'd wonder what kind of furnace you have and how you manage your melt. That being said, even 100 fps won't make much difference at 70 yards on big game.

lead chucker
10-31-2011, 09:05 PM
This is a cva scout I like the rifle, have not had alot of time with it yet. I have been working up loads for it. I would like to shoot a deer with it this year. I like the 310 gr we have brown bears here and it would be better than a 250 gr.

OnHoPr
11-04-2011, 09:57 AM
IMO it seems to me you need to practice on your casting technique. Try to keep the mould and alloy the same temp, the mould blocks closed, and a steady rhythm. Are you sizing your boolits? With boolits of that amount of variance in weight, the boolits probably have different diameters. The different diameters could cause variances in neck tension, throating characteristics, wider SDs, and such.