PDA

View Full Version : new smelting set up (v8 moment)

corey012778
10-31-2011, 04:52 PM
my first time smelting was with an camp stove set up and 20lbs of WW. took me 3hours.

next one same set up, but 80lbs of lead close to 6hours.

today, over 100lbs of clip on ww. outdoor fryer/dutch over. 2hours.

wish i weight my raw WW's before starting. I have no idea what my yield was but count about 10lbs i left in the pan plus 95lbs in ingot form.

i should of started with the fryer set up in the first place, only cost me $10 for it then an camp stove that is need of replacing. the larger tank is nice since i don't have to change the little tanks every hour to hour and half.

still going to use the camp stove for small smelt like range lead and any small amount of pure lead i get.

Ole
10-31-2011, 05:38 PM
I still use my electric hot plate to melt small batches, but turkey fryer setup is the way to go if you're melting more than 10-20lbs at a time.

:drinks:

GaryN
11-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Hi Corey, When you say change the small tanks every hour or so, what size tanks are you talking about? I have been thinking of getting a turkey fryer to cook lead with. But I don't know how fast they use propane. I have several twenty pounders, but if they get used too fast I will just get out the 100 pounder.

corey012778
11-02-2011, 12:21 AM
I was talking the little tanks for the coleman stoves. the full one you can get off an shelf at wally world in the camping section.

I don't know about for melting lead, but my turkey fryer 20 tank lasted. 10 fish fries, 2 camping trips, hooked the grill. and one 2 hours smelt.

if I did more then 100lbs lead I may have been in trouble. if you have as much lead to smelt as some do. the 100lbs tank would be the way to do.