PDA

View Full Version : Well, guess what I found!!!

rvpilot76
02-13-2007, 01:05 AM
Something I've been wanting for at least ten years. A 5 1/2 inch stainless Blackhawk Bisley with an unfluted cylinder in both 45 Colt AND 45 ACP! I am happier than a pig in...well, you know! I'm getting the whole kit and kaboodle for $389. Is this a great deal, or what?!! I used to have a 4 5/8" Blackhawk in 45 Colt that I used to carry with me on Admiralty Island in Alaska, but it was blued. I would come back to camp at the end of the day with surface rust all over her and feel terrible. That salt air is just murder on blued finishes. I'm heading back to Admiralty in July for a week or so; perhaps this is the Big Man Upstairs telling me "thanks for being patient". My reply? THANK YOU LORD!!!

Extremely happy,

Kevin [smilie=w:

454PB
02-13-2007, 01:11 AM
Good for you, and sounds like a great price.

45nut
02-13-2007, 02:01 AM
Congrats on a fine new gun. Got a pic?

rvpilot76
02-13-2007, 02:16 AM
Congrats on a fine new gun. Got a pic?

Not yet; gonna pick her up on Friday!! Oh, the anticipation!! I think I'm gonna buy one of Lee's 300 grain molds for this. Maybe one of their 255 SWC Keith's as well. The RCBS 270 SAA looks good too.

mtngunr
02-13-2007, 04:14 AM
Be sure to check the cylinder throats and barrel for correct size relationship.....Ruger has a real habit of undersized throats for bore diameter....I've not had much problem through MANY Blackhawk .45's, but it's there.....the worst I've ever owned was my OMBH .45 Colt that leaded badly before having the throats opened.....0.450"-0.451" throats, and a 0.456" bore groove diameter.....that's pretty much identical to an 1873 SAA spec for shooting hollow based minies....rather than shoot minies, I had the throats opened to 0.456"......never slugged my favorite Vaquero, as it shoots into one hole, anyhow, and I DON'T want to know.......the high polish Rugers are very rust resistant, but the coarse brushed finish guns will certainly rust if ignored......that is a very nice price on the Convertible, and I'm very much looking forward to your shooting results....and congratulations!

Four Fingers of Death
02-13-2007, 07:49 AM
I let my head go and bought a consecutively serial numbered pair of these and I'm realllllllllll happy. The 45Colt's shoot great, but the 45ACPs only want to shoot tight groups with really snappy loads, kinda defeats the purpose I suppose, but it's eary days with these two.

I keep the one ending in 47 on my left and the one ending in 48 on my right hip. I also arrange the spare cylinders and even the guns in the safe this way so I never get muddled up. The right handed gun consistently shoots a lot tighter than the left (which shoots good, but ol' 48, which incidentally is my birthyear shoots goodddddddddddddddddd!).

As you can easily see, I'm more than happy with them. I'll have to go whack a Sambar and make some grips.

Bodydoc447
02-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Give serious consideration to the RCBS 270 SAA. That is my favorite .45 Colt mould. For my Blackhawk, I load this over 9.0 grains Unique with a WLP in Top Brass or Starline cases. A very nice everyday load.

Doc

Dale53
02-13-2007, 01:02 PM
I think that you will be very happy with the Lee C452-300-RF in your piece. It is a copy of the Lee C430-310-RF that works so well in the .44's. For serious work on large game that should do the trick.

Dale53