PDA

View Full Version : 311410 for 30 Carbine, 32-20, 308 etc.

cbrick
10-31-2011, 09:21 AM
In the "Interested In" forum I have started a thread to generate interest in a group buy for this bullet.

Here is the thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=129160

This is an outstanding bullet in my Ruger 30 Carbine and T/C 32-20. It is the most accurate bullet I've run through either of these guns to date and is devastating on ground squirrels, even loaded down around 850 fps. I have more recently started working with this bullet in two 308's as a light weight bullet in 308.

Anyone with 30 calibers should check this bullet out. I contacted Miha and he said he could do it but needed drawings. longbow (a member here) made the drawings including a 3D (this is really nice) and I am currently waiting to hear back from Miha.

It's not set in stone yet but the plan currently is for possibly three sets of pins, the original Lyman length HP pin of .500", a shorter pin of .270" length and a set of pins for casting flat point only (no pins sticking out under the mould for bottom pour casting. Both GC and PB versions and with a couple of different as cast diameters .311" and up to .315".

I have this Lyman mold in a single cavity and had Erik at Hollow point bullet molds make the shorter .270" length pin. I am now feeding four guns with this bullet, a Miha Cramer 4 cavity would be a dream come true. Anyone else interested in this bullet?

Rick

beagle
10-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Would make an even greater bullet with some of Pat Marlin's .30PB gas checks in the Ruger .30 Carbine.

Be sure and have a GB made as a PB as Lyman made them as both PB and BB and the PB designs worked better from my experiences./beagle

cbrick
10-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Would make an even greater bullet with some of Pat Marlin's .30PB gas checks in the Ruger .30 Carbine.

Be sure and have a GB made as a PB as Lyman made them as both PB and BB and the PB designs worked better from my experiences./beagle

The original Lyman mold that I picked up used several years ago was a BB with the Lyman .500" length pin. I sent it off to Erik and had the BB removed for a PB and had a shorter .270" length pin made. The Erik modified bullets are the ones in the photograph in the thread.

I just a couple of days ago recieved some of the PB GC's from L1A1Rocker to test in the 308, I've never used these before and hope to get to the range with them on Friday. Should be very interesting, the education of Rick continues.

Rick

cbrick
11-01-2011, 02:20 PM
A shameless bump to keep this in view for a while, see if it will generate more interest in the group buy. Seems there should be lot's of folks with 32-20, 30 Carbines and a host of other .308" bores.

Rick

leftiye
11-01-2011, 08:42 PM
With a gas check and a hollow point I'd be interested maybe. But there is already the NOE 129 gr gchp.