PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 44 Special and Lyman 429383

UnderDawgAl
10-30-2011, 05:05 PM
I've been having good success with the 429383 traditional RN boolit in my Flat Top 44 Special 4 5/8" gun. My boolits weigh about 248 grains each, using WW with a drop of added tin. They were unsized and tumble-lubed with LLA/JPW. I loaded the rounds with ~5.8 grains Red Dot, give or take a tenth (.82 disk in my Lee Deluxe Auto Disk measure).

Yesterday, I shot a few at 50 yards and 100 yards. For the 50-yard shots, the group was under 3". That's with iron sights and my hands supported on a sandbag. Bench shooting is new for me, so I'm going to practice a bit and see if I can get the groups to tighten up. I suspect a better shooter would see smaller groups.

I only shot 2 times at 100 yards, and I hit the paper once, which is nearly a miracle since I had no idea how much hold-over to use. I aimed about a foot above the bullseye and hit about 5" below it. I think I'm going to dial in my rear sight and see if I can get a few groups on paper at 100 yards.

I know that the universal favorite on this board is the 429421 (or any similar variation), but I got this mould brand new for $25, so I aim to use it. Also, I would think that a RN profile would be more aerodynamic than a SWC. Maybe at my level of skill, there's no appreciable difference between the two boolit profiles.

10-30-2011, 08:36 PM
The .44 Special is very underrated by those who are unfamiliar with it, and much loved by those who are. Occasionally, I'll take a few shots at the 300-yard gong, with the stock 6 1/2" S&W Model 624 and 429421's. The times I that don't hit it, I certainly wouldn't want to be standing in front of it. I have more fun with that gun than any of the others, save the Garand.

Enjoy yours.

theperfessor
10-31-2011, 09:18 AM
I have a six cavity Lee 429-240-2R. It works great in all my .44 Specials. Won't cut clean holes in paper and not the best choice for hunting but accurate and easy to cast and the rounds just fall into the chambers. A good can roller and steel plate bullet for sure.

crabo
11-01-2011, 12:35 AM
I only shot 2 times at 100 yards, and I hit the paper once, which is nearly a miracle since I had no idea how much hold-over to use. I aimed about a foot above the bullseye and hit about 5" below it. I think I'm going to dial in my rear sight and see if I can get a few groups on paper at 100 yards.

One thing you can do, is to use a target that you can see and put it at 100 yards. Put a piece of white poster board below it to see where you are hitting, and what kind of groups you are shooting.