PDA

View Full Version : Powder resivoir for hollywod micrometre powder measure?

ampegor
10-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Hi,
I recently aquired a hollywood micrometre powder measure but the resivoir (tube) for the powder is very short as at one point in its life it got hot and top edge got melted. Does any comercially made powder hopper tube fit the hollywood measure? Any ideas on getting a new one? This is hands down the best measure i have used and i would like a tube that would hold more powder.
thanks in advance
andy

deltaenterprizes
10-30-2011, 12:17 PM
What is the outside diameter? How tall is it now? How thick is the walls of the existing tube?

3006guns
10-30-2011, 12:39 PM
Plastic tubing of various sizes are offered by McMaster Carr and probably other industrial supply houses. They come in both acrylic and lexan, but I forget which one is tougher....the lexan I think.

Tubing is also available on Ebay in the industrial section, offered in short lengths...a heck of a lot less expensive.

Failing all else, get some brass tubing of the right (or close) size and fix it with silicone sealer.

ampegor
10-30-2011, 03:55 PM
It is 2" od with a wall thickness of 1/8" and a usable remaining length of about 3"

MtGun44
10-30-2011, 11:57 PM
Lexan polycarbonate is very tough, but polycarbonates are very susceptible to crazing and
damage from various solvents. Powders have solvents and I would not trust Lexan. Use the
acryic (plexiglas).

Bill

45nut
10-30-2011, 11:59 PM
Most any of the RCBS, Dillon or Lyman replacements should fit.

Pressman
10-31-2011, 05:53 PM
45nut, they won't fit. All are different diameters and fit. Some slip fit to the frame and many were threaded. The first two Hollywoods are threaded and the last was silp fit.
We do not know which model of Hollywood we are talking about in this thread.
Ken

ampegor
11-03-2011, 07:09 PM
my hollywood is threaded

GOPHER SLAYER
11-03-2011, 08:44 PM
I have two Hollywood measures and I had no trouble finding the plastic tubes but I did have to thread them. I had a lathe then so that was no problem. Like you I think they made a great powder measure. I doubt it would be difficult to find someone to thread them for you at reasonable price. I don't know if anyone makes them now.