PDA

View Full Version : Carnuba Wax

Slingshot
10-30-2011, 10:14 AM
I have a bottle of Maguires pure carnuba wax for polishing cars, can this be used as a substitute for Carnuba flakes?

If so what is the recommended formula for making Speed Green or Lotak? I have the rest of the ingredients needed.

Thanks,
Slingshot

fryboy
10-30-2011, 11:08 AM
i tend to believe it still has other ingredients or it would be a pale yellow hard block , from their blurb
"Here at Meguiar's we don't make a wax based solely on pure Carnauba. All Meguiar's waxes are blended waxes that combine multiple ingredients for both:"
http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cfm?faqCat=General+Questions&faqQuestionID=6&section=_6

even their paste wax ( which comes in a can not a bottle ) has added ingredients
i'm a lil low in stock but i can spare a couple spoonfuls if you need it ( have to send me your addy again as i dont save them )

geargnasher
10-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Cook the Meguiar's. It has water, some surfacants, some paraffins, and a little carnauba wax. When you cook it and reduce it down most of the stuff you don't want goes away.

If you want pure carnauba wax, member Randyrat sells it in quantity at very reasonable prices, check him out in the vendor/sponsor section.

Gear

357maximum
10-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Carwaxes have many different recipes some include abrasives and all of em have some form of evaphorative that allows it to dry on your CAR.

Carnauba is a yellow/brown brittle solid wax. Peer into that bottle and imagine what they had to add to it to make it look the way it does now.

randyrat
10-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Phillip your order has been packaged and will ship tomorrow Monday...Unless the PO needs another Holiday- Halloween?
Sure am grateful for the business.

Phillip, Be sure not to go overboard with the carnauba flakes, they are 100% pure.

zomby woof
10-30-2011, 07:41 PM
I have some "Mothers Pure Carnuba" car wax. It's made "with" pure Carnuba wax. I put a few chunks in my 45/45/10 mix. I tumble lubed some Boolits with it yesterday. It left a nice coating on them, no tackiness.

btroj
10-30-2011, 08:26 PM
The "with" is what is scary. Like 357 max said- what else is in there that is the carrier, solvent, etc?

Better to go with Randy and get the "real" pure stuff.

nanuk
10-30-2011, 09:26 PM
I too found a Can of Maguires Carnauba Wax. it was off white in color, smelled of wax and a bit of solvent. very firm to the touch, I couldn't dent it with a finger, just smudge the surface. Can said 'Pure Carnauba"

I bought some KNOWN carnauba from RandyRat as well as some other stuff.... MUCH CHEAPER!

saz
10-31-2011, 04:38 PM
What about the red wax around a block of cheese, that is carnuba, isnt it? Also the wax off the cap of a bottle of makers mark whiskey is the same thing right? I have a bunch saved I am thinking of adding to my darr's lube. It already has extra beeswax added to stiffen it up a little.

mold maker
10-31-2011, 05:01 PM
I simply can't use enough Makers Mark and cheese to get enough carnuba wax. Belive me, I've tried.

saz
10-31-2011, 06:54 PM
I simply can't use enough Makers Mark and cheese to get enough carnuba wax. Belive me, I've tried.

HAHAHA!!!! I like whiskey a lot, but the worst part so do my buddies that come by the house from time to time so I make them keep all of it and bring it by!

popper
11-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Most auto car paste waxes have clay in them, like the stuff they put into pape to make it shiny. I'd be glad to empty your MM bottles, you can keep the wax.

Canuck Bob
11-10-2011, 02:06 PM
All carnauba waxes for cars are blended. It is a common fact that Mequires won't publish thier carnauba percentage for thier waxes.

See post 5 he is a Mequires emloyee and very regular poster on Meguire's forum.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?15282-Meg-s-Waxes-carnauba-content-per-volume

This one discusses some carnauba car wax myths.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?25310-The-MYTHS-of-Carnauba-wax

I use the Mequire's stuff on vehicles and like it and have snooped on detailing forums for years. It is a sales technique and probably hype by some wax competitors to advertise higher carnauba contents. Problem is it is real hard to understand the way each company calculates percentage. I suspect most claims are for percentage of carnauba in the wax total and does not include the solvents, sealants, binders, and profit boosting fillers. There is only one truth in advertising, they are probably lieing! Mark Twain nailed it with stats!

felix
11-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Carnauba wax is useless in practice without proper solvents for the application. For example, an industrial grade finished wax would be a whole lot different than that specifically for food grade applications. Another wax in the same hard-to-use category would be castor wax. Likewise, specific solvents would need to be different for identical apps. I highly doubt castor wax would be used for a paint/polymer polish because its emulsion properties are poor as well as any shine potential. ... felix

Marlin Junky
11-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Here ya go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnauba_wax

Other than elevating the melt temp of boolit lube I fail to see any advantage to adding carnauba; and, as a metal protector, there's at least one caster here who thinks he's proven carnauba will react with some powders to cause barrel corrosion over time.

From http://detailingwiki.com/index.php5?title=Carnauba:

"Pronunciation (kär -nu-ba)

[:Composition - contains mainly esters of fatty acids (80-85%), fatty alcohols (10-15%), acids (3-6%) and hydrocarbons(1-3%). Specific for carnauba wax is the content of esterified fatty diols (about 20%), hydroxylated fatty acids (about 6%) and cinnamic acid (about 10%). Cinnamic acid, an antioxidant, may be hydroxylated or methoxylated ] ...Carnauba wax is a vegetable wax (fat) obtained from the leaves of the Carnauba Palm, that has an affinity to water..."

MJ

felix
11-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Yes, to a very minor extent because we use typically a very low percentage of the wax for the shiny barrel. Compare that to castor wax, which introduces way too much viscosity to our lubes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castor_wax

... felix

41mag
11-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Ok bear with me here, just a simple fellow with a simple education.

Since getting into the wide world of casting I have made up two different lubes to try and use on my revolver boolits. The first was Felix Lube and the second was the 45/45/10.

With the Felix, and the average ambient temps we had this summer being in the mid 90's to 100's easily, I found that I had some leakage with the Felix, or running, however you want to put it. I pan lubed up a couple hundred boolts for testing, and with the ones I loaded I could see where the lube had seeped out around my crimp on a few. These were put into the ammo box nose down, and sat in the shop for about three days. The others also setting in my shop in a styrofoam tray had the lube melt and drip down into the bottoms of the holes. I do admit that the temp was up around the mid to high 90's.

This said I rewarmed up my batch on a double broiler and added in about a tablespoon more of carnuba, which when cooled substantially stiffened it up to the point it at least held fast in the temps we were experiencing. I didn't notice much if any difference in the accuracy or performance between the two.

So in reading through this post, should I have any concerns about using this in my CM barrels with regard to moisture? What I have used so far has all been through SS barrels and I haven't been overly concerned with any issues what so ever, other than leading and the running lube in hotter temps. I had found that I actually get better results from the 45/45/10 in the loads than from the Felix, but I planned to use the remainder in some rifle loads in .264, .284, and .308.

Hope this makes since.