PDA

View Full Version : Down in the dumps

44man
10-30-2011, 08:57 AM
Snow! :holysheep We didn't get that much but the leaves are still on a lot of trees. A huge branch fell at the barn, most missed the roof but some branches punched two holes in the aluminum roofing and messed up an edge. It took all day to clean up and I was soaked. This thing is almost 2' in diameter.
Another huge limb is on the ground and took out the clothes lines. My mulberry tree has the whole top broken, don't know how I am going to reach it. We also lost a lot of maple branches.
It was melting at dark but then everything froze. I never got the hoses off the faucets or drained. The power washer is still in the barn so I hope it was warm enough.
This was all Al Gores fault! [smilie=l:

btroj
10-30-2011, 09:04 AM
I feel your pain. We had a massive wet snowfall in the late 90s that occurred around the same time of year. With leaves on the trees the damage was unreal.
We were lucky I. That no damage occurred to my home but we lost several tree. Power to some in town wasn't restored for almost a week.

I wish you luck 44 man, I know what you are going thru. Wet snow and leaves on trees are a bad combo indeed.

Doc_Stihl
10-30-2011, 09:12 AM
We got piled on here in NH last night. Took the apple tree in the back yard down.

Probably all be gone in a couple days....

Ground isn't frozen enough to run the plow over the driveway without tearing it up so I'll be shoveling the berm at the end of the driveway.

Charlie Two Tracks
10-30-2011, 09:18 AM
Dang guys! I just was on the weather channel and it looks to be a mess out East. Watch out for the snow shoveling of wet snow. That can get to you quick.

Pigslayer
10-30-2011, 10:14 AM
:coffee:Got about 5" of very heavy wet snow here in MD. I got a small tree laying across the back of my F150. No damage though. Gotta get out the chainsaw this afternoon. I "used" to love using the chainsaw too.

Maven
10-30-2011, 10:32 AM
6" - 7" here in Kingston, N.Y. Caught us a bit by surprise as you can see by the attached pic of my Stella D')Oro daylilly (taken 15min. ago) . Usually they're finished blooming by the end of September.

Dale53
10-30-2011, 10:43 AM
I feel for all of you caught in this early season snow storm. The reports of damages are still coming in and it doesn't look good. We'll be thinking GOOD thoughts of you in the coming days (you will be in our prayers, too).

I live in SW Ohio and the hurricane, a couple of years ago, put nearly all of Ohio and six or seven states around us without power for several days. We lost a large maple tree that my daughter planted (from a seed) when she was a child. I miss that tree for many reasons and it shaded the drive where I park my van and the whole yard in that area. Thankfully, the number of serious injuries were relatively low in nature (although a woman in my area was killed by a falling tree).

Hopefully, the winter won't be too bad (well, a feller can hope, can't he?).:drinks:

Dale53

pmer
10-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Last July 1st we had a huge wind storm. A tree fell on the drive way along with trees and limbs on yard. Then we had trees fall on a shed and work shop. Lost sheets of tin roofing on a barn and I finally rented a aerial lift to get up there and put sheets back on. It's old barn with a steep roof - to steep to walk on.

Funny thing was only the sheds without insurance got damaged. Storm clean up can be a lot of work.

dragonrider
10-30-2011, 11:50 AM
We got about 2.5 inches of heavy wet snow last night. Power went down at about 3 AM, came back about 10 AM. It's too early for this. Last weekend I check out my plow for function and found that it won't angle to the right, made an appointment to get it fixed.......tomorrow. Lot of help that did me today.

44man
10-30-2011, 02:52 PM
I worked all day today and got the mulberry limbs out by cutting at the top and pulling them out with my little utility vehicle. I cut it into small chunks to smoke meat. I hauled tons of branches by hand.
I got the other huge branch done but I still have a small apple tree on it's side. A ton of stinking little branches but the wood will be for the smoker too.
After this stuff melts I have 50 tons of leaves on the ground and the roof to try and fix. I might patch, I have no idea where to buy aluminum roofing to match. I think my house insurance is $1000 deductible.

DanWalker
10-31-2011, 12:38 AM
Sorry for your troubles sir.
What style and brand is the metal roofing?
Is there a UBC or Menards near you? Both places carry a pretty good selection of metal roofing.

waksupi
10-31-2011, 01:39 AM
You guys that don't have lodge pole pine around, are at a disadvantage. You can use the long poles to knock snow off the trees for maybe 30' up every couple hours to save them. Yep, you get covered with snow, but I have certainly done it to my deciduous trees over the years.

Bret4207
10-31-2011, 06:48 AM
Gonna be tough finding aluminum roofing. I haven't see any in years.

Baron von Trollwhack
10-31-2011, 07:15 AM
Despite the global warming baloney, from the weather data I have seen, I believe the truthful weather trend in the US has been flat for 50 years or better from weather stations of that vintage or older. Thus it is probably better to take care of things around the house or barn that will be affected by inclement weather rather sooner than later as an average well provides for earlier cold events as well as some of those milder winters we have experienced in the last 50 years.

Cut the limbs back from the roof when you see them in the summer, so you don't have problems with an early weather event, and likewise take care of those badly branched fruit trees earlier in their growth.

You know, in NC, and probably elsewhere, if your poorly placed overgrown yard tree needs removal, and you take care of it, IT IS AT YOUR EXPENSE. But if you wait till a weather event drops it on your back porch, your insurance pays. It's your choice, and you know it too.

BvT

44man
10-31-2011, 08:32 AM
I do keep a lot cut back. I just never expected a branch over 2' to crack off near the trunk. It wasn't over the barn but it whipped branches up.
The aluminum is so thin it takes nothing to break. The barn is about 35 years old.

beagle
10-31-2011, 11:07 AM
I feel for you guys but keep that white stuff up north. Still green here in KY and I don't care if it don't snow.

Those barns are a pain. Always needing some kind of repair....I got two of them./beagle

mroliver77
10-31-2011, 09:16 PM
We got a killing frost yesterday in NW Ohio Way too early to hear about snow storms.
i HAVE A 35' x 65' old style barn. Gambrell roof( everybody calls them hip roof but wrong term).
I put a galvenized steel roof over the 60 year old wood shingle roof a few years back. I planned on re-siding it also but steel siding has more than doubled in price in less than 10 years. My income has went the opposite direction. ;(
J

Tom W.
10-31-2011, 09:28 PM
My buddy from Kingston called me the other night and said it was snowing, and they had 4" at that time, and were expecting more. He asked me if I remembered a lot of snow when I lived in Saugerties.
I told him to remember back when I left the area in '72 and to recall that I've been back exactly twice since then, to see ( at the time) in-laws and relatives.
I smiled and told him the weather channel said it was 65 outside, and I really didn't miss the snow at all.:violin:
I do believe that he said a few bad words after that..:kissarse:

Harter66
10-31-2011, 09:36 PM
This happened to me while I was on a morning hunt.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_123384eaf4c49e65a7.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2553)

JeffinNZ
10-31-2011, 10:20 PM
Looks like you guys are getting a cold, early, winter. We are looking at an early, hot, dry summer. I am on water restrictions at home and thankful I installed the rain collecting drums so I can keep the veges going.

Bret4207
11-01-2011, 06:30 AM
Dry and gorgeous up here on the Canadian border. For now at least...