PDA

View Full Version : To Soft

Mrz
10-30-2011, 12:34 AM
Made my first batch of lube today, 60% soy wax, 40% vaseline, and 2 Tbl of stp. I pan lubed some .44's. The grooves are filled nicely, but this stuff has the consistancy of chapstick. What if I added a bit of parafin wax to the mix. Do you think it would harden it up some?

RobS
10-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Yes, parafin will work and so would carnauba wax if you have it.

fryboy
10-30-2011, 12:38 PM
soy wax by it's self is perhaps one of the softer waxes , paraffin or beeswax either one should add hardness ( beeswax also adds a lil tack IMHO ) even adding more soy in ratio would also harden it up somewhat , it wouldnt hurt to try it as it is tho as it may be just fine ( albeit soft , and many prefer softer lubes ) and with the event of winter , cold temps will make it seem harder ( for free lolz )

Springfield
10-30-2011, 12:42 PM
I'd back off on the vaseline first so that you don't have to add more ingredients to your mix, keeps things simple.

357maximum
10-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Soy"WAX" is not a true wax. It is hydrogenated soybean oil. Just like Crisco is hydrogenated veggie oil.

You need some beeswax in that there lube. I see some major too slick a lube related flyers in your future, especially if you ever REVITUP. The only "wax" you have in your lube is the tiny percentage of microwax that lives in the vaseline.

You may have a dandy cold weather blackpowder mini/maxi/R.E.A.L lube on your hands however.

Mrz
10-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the help fellas. Sounds like a plan I'll save half the batch for BP and work with the other half. Although I must say 357 the mitten has been a bit warm lately.