PDA

View Full Version : Rock chucker press for swaging?

stealthshooter
10-29-2011, 10:22 PM
I have been looking at Rock Chuckers and I've noticed there are a few dif versions of this press. I was wondering if there is one that's better than the others? More leverage? Better built?

frank martinez
11-01-2011, 12:03 AM
I am using a RV supreme VI but think the RC is better suited. I looked at my JR but think it is too lightweight. I am only doing pistol and 22 at the moment but think the rifle bullets should also work based on how easily the rest run through.
Frank

GRUMPA
11-01-2011, 08:52 AM
I have a RCBS JR. press and wont use it for swaging as it really doesn't look all that strong. But my Rock Chucker 2 press has compound linkage and so far doing 45's from 40 brass has worked perfect every time. Although I will say that I had a broken pin that holds the ram break but that was already broke and have RCBS sending me a new one right now.

sargenv
11-01-2011, 10:40 AM
I am using an RCII and have a spare RCII if the first one finally does break. I messed up the original ram using an early version of punch with BT's Swage die but that has been solved by BT to no longer have that issue. The fact that I purchased the swage ram probably made the press an even better platform for swaging. Since RCBS actually makes/sells a ram for swaging is likely a testament to the suitability of the press to handle some kind of swaging. My press was made in 1987 or so, and is in use again as my swage press. It had sat mostly idle except for small ammo batch runs since I have most of the high production jobs processed on my Dillon 650.

selmerfan
11-01-2011, 11:42 AM
RCBS = Rock Chuck Bullet Swage I'd stay with the bigger versions myself.

Southron Sanders
11-04-2011, 05:36 PM
I actually used a 1970's era Rock Chucker Press to swage .58 Pritchett Balls out of pure lead.

The press was fine, the die eventually cracked because the walls were too thin.

Let me tell you, that Rock Chucker Press of mine was STRONG!!!

kawalekm
11-08-2011, 07:14 PM
During swaging my A2 Rockchucker snapped in half at the primer arm cutout. My new A4 has been beefed up in that area. It was a valuable learning experience.