PDA

View Full Version : A little help, please!

parrott1969
10-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Ok, I have a strange one here. Anyone know anything about an M_re de Armes model 1873 French revolver? I have figured out that I can cut down 44 mag brass but where can I find 11mm boolits? I crossed referenced and found that I should be able to use a .432-433 boolit but the nose is the wrong profile. From what I have seen they used a very pointed boolit. Where would I find load data? Do you think an case full of trail boss would be OK? Thank for any help you can provide.

Guesser
10-29-2011, 10:50 PM
A 429303 mold would give you a pointed boolit of about 215 gr., load black powder and work up, it is difficult to over pressure with BP.
What is the exact designation for the cartridge, check Cartridges of the World, it sometimes has original load specs.

parrott1969
10-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Guesser, thanks for the information. The caliber is 11x17.8mm my understanding is that this equates to 432-433

Piedmont
10-30-2011, 01:33 AM
Parrot, Let that revolver tell you what it measures rather than what you read. Slug the cylinder throats and barrel with soft lead and measure. If the barrel is larger than the cylinder throats you will need blackpowder for the bump-up attribute it provides. Might need a hollow base also if you didn't want to alter the revolver. But that is all speculation until we have measurements.

gunsbrad
10-30-2011, 09:18 AM
I had all kinds of fun with one of those once upon a time. 11mm is bore dia. on these. Groove dia on 2 that I have measured has been about .448. I used a lee 180 gr 45 acp flat nose mold and sized down to fit. Worked really well and regulated.

Cases were another story. Mine had been rechambered to .45 acp as a lot of them were prior to wwII. Check your chambers throats and bore before proceeding as Piedmont said. I'll see if I can dig out my notes on making cases and post later.

Brad Hurt

parrott1969
10-31-2011, 10:29 PM
When I get home this weekend I will slug the bore and chamber. A cut down ( way down) 44 mag case fits the cyclinder perfectly.

gunsbrad
11-04-2011, 06:46 AM
I finally dug out my old notes. I got to measure and fire two different guns that were in immaculate condition. One belonged to me and had been reamed to accept 45 acp. Other than that it was as new. The other belonged to a friend of mine, and was in the original chambering. I fired it no more than a cylinder full if that much. He used .700 long 44mag cases with thinned rims and 180 gr 429 jacketed bullets that rattled down the bore. both guns exhibited extreme primer flow that tied the guns up. More about that later.

Groove dia in both guns was .451. throats were .450-.452 in my buddies gun, and .449-.450 in my gun. No type of 45 case would start in either gun(except 45 acp in mine and they were tight) and 44 mag cases were loose in both guns until they fire formed but of course the heads never expanded.

In my gun I started by thinning rims to fit and trimming 100 cases to .975 which was the longest fireformed length that would fit in every chamber. I then neck expanded. I tried 230 and 200gr 45 bullets. The original arsenal loading was about 180-185gr so I obtained a lee 6 cav 45 mould that cast a 190gr flatpoint. I sized these to .448 which would just barely fit. Nothing larger would go.

All loads tried tied up the gun. I tried several powders in the bullseye to unique range. Not much help. I tried every different primer I could find 5 in total. WLP flowed the least, but it still was not satisfactory. I tried 17gr of blackpowder and that was worst of all. After consulting several of my old cartridge books I finally decided to drill out flash holes a little at a time to try to match some of the older cartridges. I took it in small steps over time but finally ended up at a #31 drill bit (.120 dia). This relieved back pressure and there was no more primer flow.

I worked up some loads, but the best was 4.0gr of bullseye. This gave 681fps with 63 fps extreme spread. Shot to the sights and was good for about 2- 2 1/2" at 25 yds. The double action pull was wonderfull and I had a lot of fun with that little gun. Even shot a rabbit with it once. If it wasn't for a divorce it would be here with me today.

I hope this helps some. I am sure you probably won't be able to use my exact case dimension and load, but maybe this will give you a direction and help you avoid a few of those head scratchin moments I was in. If you need anything ask.

Good luck,
Brad Hurt