PDA

View Full Version : LC headstamp .223

colt 357
10-29-2011, 09:02 PM
I picked up some .223 LC headstamp with a 11 and s circle with a plus in the circle at the range. I beleve this is lake city brass. Now the question is I found this brass and it has a heat stain around the neck. I thought someone may have annealed the neck and reloaded them. But when I got home and looked at them the primer it was crimped in telling me that this may be once fired factory heat annealed brass.
Does lake city offer annealed factory ammo and is it worth more or should I just toss it in the other .223 brass

imashooter2
10-29-2011, 09:20 PM
All bottleneck brass had that "stain." The commercial companies just polish it off to make their brass prettier. You have 2011 Lake City once fired. Enjoy!

colt 357
10-29-2011, 09:30 PM
thanks thats what I thought. just wanted to make sure I didnt find a odd one.

billyb
10-29-2011, 09:36 PM
The L C is lake city, the circle with the cross is the nato mark. Bill

kelbro
10-30-2011, 10:26 AM
I have great experiences with the earlier LC brass before Federal took over the contract in maybe 2006-2008. How is the newer stuff? I had the worst luck with the older Federal 223 brass.

Shooter
10-30-2011, 11:46 AM
I once had some Chinese .223 marked "LC". It was corrosive primed and caused rusting in a couple of barrels.:groner:

JIMinPHX
10-30-2011, 11:52 AM
LC is some of my favorite .223 brass. You got some nice stuff there.

imashooter2
10-30-2011, 11:58 AM
I once had some Chinese .223 marked "LC". It was corrosive primed and caused rusting in a couple of barrels.:groner:

I've had a number of folks tell me that there was never any corrosive primed .223 made. I tell them I've seen the tears in the eyes of my regular shooting partner as we were pounding a brush down what used to be the bore of his AR15 while his Savage bolt was still sitting in the safe at home rusting...

tomme boy
10-30-2011, 01:54 PM
The AR's bore should not have rusted as most are crome lined. I have never heard of the Chinese LC. I have shot a bunch of Chinese that was labeled CJ. Never had any problems with rust.

The only time I ever had problems was one morning it was very damp and I left my hard case open while shooting. Put the 700 away and went home. Before I was able to get it out and clean it, we had a family emergency and had to leave. Two days later when we got back, the rifle was rusted really bad. It had sat in the hard case closed the whole time. It took a good scrubing in the chamber and bore. It still shot the same.

I bet the stuff you seen was the CJ brass.

imashooter2
10-30-2011, 05:08 PM
The AR's bore should not have rusted as most are crome lined.

The operative word being "most." His AR was a mixmaster put together with the least expensive parts he could find.

I have never heard of the Chinese LC. I have shot a bunch of Chinese that was labeled CJ. Never had any problems with rust.

The only time I ever had problems was one morning it was very damp and I left my hard case open while shooting. Put the 700 away and went home. Before I was able to get it out and clean it, we had a family emergency and had to leave. Two days later when we got back, the rifle was rusted really bad. It had sat in the hard case closed the whole time. It took a good scrubing in the chamber and bore. It still shot the same.

I bet the stuff you seen was the CJ brass.

There was a batch of LC headstamp brass made by Måtravidèki Fèmmüvek of Hungary for Armscorp a few years back. Not positive if any of it was in .223. And I wouldn't put anything past the Chinese.

The stuff my buddy had was foreign military surplus, but I can't remember the headstamp on it.

nicholst55
10-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Actually until pretty recently, a great many AR-15 barrels were NOT chrome-lined, especially aftermarket barrels. It's really been only in the past 4-5 years that a large percentage of aftermarket barrels makers even offered chrome lining. Even now, it's frequently an extra cost option.

JIMinPHX
11-03-2011, 10:03 AM
There was a batch of LC headstamp brass made by Måtravidèki Fèmmüvek of Hungary for Armscorp a few years back. Not positive if any of it was in .223. And I wouldn't put anything past the Chinese.

Can anyone post a picture of that headstamp? Does it look like the Lake City "LC", or is it different?

tomme boy
11-03-2011, 02:28 PM
The only Chinese LC I have ever heard of was the 30 carbine. 52 or 53

Got-R-Did
11-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Tomme Boy is spot on about that Chinese .30 Carbine. LC 52 and the font is distinctively different. Berdan primed, intensely corrosive and all around Bad JuJu!
Got-R-Did.

Shooter
11-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Tomme Boy is spot on about that Chinese .30 Carbine. LC 52 and the font is distinctively different. Berdan primed, intensely corrosive and all around Bad JuJu!
Got-R-Did.

The .223 I had was so bad even the cases corroded after firing and laying around
They were stamped "LC" I forget the Year number.

NickSS
11-03-2011, 07:12 PM
I have never run into corrosive 223 ammo but I have shot a ton of corrosive ammo in several calibers including 30-06, 8mm mauser, 7,62X54R, 7.62X39, 7mm Mauser, and several others that I do not fully remember. I never had any issues with it but then I clean my guns religiously after I shoot them and it I suspect corrosive I always use a bore cleaner that counter acts it. I have an AR that does not have a chrome lined bore but it is stainless steel.

Shooter
11-03-2011, 07:42 PM
I have never run into corrosive 223 ammo but I have shot a ton of corrosive ammo in several calibers including 30-06, 8mm mauser, 7,62X54R, 7.62X39, 7mm Mauser, and several others that I do not fully remember. I never had any issues with it but then I clean my guns religiously after I shoot them and it I suspect corrosive I always use a bore cleaner that counter acts it. I have an AR that does not have a chrome lined bore but it is stainless steel.

Quite so, If you know it is corrosive. This stuff took me by surprise. I had never seen boxer primed .223 that was corrosive.

mroliver77
11-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Both my AR's have non chrome barrels. I "built" them from cheapo parts kits from a place near here. I have never seen corrosive 5.56 either. I picked up a bunch of brass that is berdan primed though. I had never heard of berdan 5.56 either. It will make nice jacket material for swaging.
J

tomme boy
11-05-2011, 11:42 PM
The berdan I have is South African. Came in battle packs. Very good ammo and not corrosive.