PDA

View Full Version : 44 Taurus Tracker any good?

mtgrs737
10-29-2011, 05:11 PM
I have noticed that the Taurus Tracker 44's with 6 1/2" barrels are reasonably priced but I know nothing about them. Does anyone here have experiance with them, what do you think of them?

missionary5155
10-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Greetings
I have two trackers both in caliber 41 mag. One is a 4" titanium and the the other a "2 stainless. I have not shot thousands of rounds through them like my DW 41 but neither has ever failed to fire accurately. The Titanium is always with me when I roam about when up north there. Mike in Peru

kbstenberg
10-29-2011, 06:08 PM
If you do decide to get one keep me in mind. I have one NIB coming from Taurus that I will be looking to sell.
I sent a mod 441 in to be fixed. They said they'd rather send me a new gun of the mag. persuasion. Soes I have to sell this one to get what I want. PM me we can talk.
Kevin

GLynn41
11-01-2011, 09:35 PM
i have a 4" .41 and have shot hundreds of rounds and no problems -- very good carry gun in the woods

Frank V
11-02-2011, 07:24 PM
I had a 4" Tracker .44 Mag. for about a year. I liked it well enough, just didn't shoot it all that much.
Two things I didn't care for were the "ribber" grips ( I don't like rubber stocks)
I also didn't really care for the ported bbl. I couldn't tell any difference except an increase in blast when I shot it.

Mine also leaded just a bit more than I thought it should. I "firelapped" the bbl & that stopped the leading. It had chatter marks in the bbl that the "firelapping" got rid of. The gun was accurate, & pretty easy to carry. I kind of liked it, but didn't really use it all that much & saw something else I wanted worse so sold it.
Actually, I think they are a pretty good gun.
Frank

rintinglen
11-04-2011, 12:45 AM
My brother and I both have them--he likes his so much that it is on his CCW permit, but both of ours are 4 inchers. I have to confess I do not shoot many mag loads through mine--7.o grains of Unique in 44 Special cases works very well for plinking and practice. Mag Loads are pretty rough, and I would never use any of the super heavy bullets--240 is plenty and to spare, I can only cringe at the the thought of a 315 grain lee WFN sitting on top a pile of H-110.
My view is that this is a great carry gun, but not one for lots of shooting.

I have to disagree with Frank V though, while the vents are noisy they make quite a difference. I shot one of those Jovino 629 snubbies that actually weighed more than my taurus and it was brutally painful. The rubber grips and vented barrel made the Tracker , if not quite fun, at least more comfortable to shoot.
neither would be my choice for a 60 round silhouette match, that I will tell you.

lmcollins
11-04-2011, 02:25 AM
I have a four inch stainless. It's a great carry gun. It's light,and remember it's only a five shooter.

Remember that the cylinder is short: you have to watch your OAL carefully. I took some of my Miha H&G 503 clones out to shoot, and two of them were over long, and hit on the barrel throat. The Lyman 429244GC is a bit shorter from the crimp groove to nose and is fine. I will have to check my cases for length.

It is a light load gun. Those bullets or less.

Jim
11-04-2011, 05:46 AM
READ THIS. (http://jgcphotos.wordpress.com/2011/11/04/dont-buy-taurus-firearms/)

GLynn41
11-04-2011, 04:38 PM
I seached long and hard before I bought this 4" .41-- becasue I had read so much good and bad with the bad seemingly in the lead at times -- I like the little gun -- I said I have shot hundreds of rounds and that is true but almost all are midrange loads--212-225 at 1100 or so and that is all I want -- I have shortened about 50 hulls to 1.1" and I use it like a .41 special
-- My brother had the Beretta 92 clone in a .40 cal -- it shot fine and no problems-I got my41 last spring-- so far so good --but it does seem that if you get one you may be takeing a chance more so than with S&W ruger etc-

Swampman
11-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Everyone I've ever known that bought a Taurus has regretted it. All of them have had to go back to the factory for repair. No Thanks!

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-07-2011, 07:09 PM
I have one of the Taurus ported 5-shot snubbies in45LC. Just a couple hundred rounds thru it after an action job by a gunsmith friend, I cast the 270 RCBS SWC out of pure lead and load it to 700fps. I would suggest that would make somebody's day. I have owned three Taurus revolvers and all have worked for me.

Rich

Keyston44
11-08-2011, 10:08 AM
I have a stainless 41 mag and a titainium 357 mag that both have over a thousand rounds through. I haven't had a single problem with either. I have to admit they don't get full power loads but they work great for what they were made for.

Key

Recluse
11-11-2011, 10:23 PM
I have two firearms made by Taurus--a PT92 I bought new in 1988 (which replaced three successive broken Beretta 92s), and a Judge bought in 2010.

In the span of just over two decades, the degradation of quality and customer service at Taurus is beyond staggering. Stupendous might be a better word.

The 9mm (PT 92) has performed flawlessly and even served as my primary carry weapon for almost a year during my law enforcement days. It saw action when it counted the most and it got the job done. It will handle any kind of ammo I feed it, doesn't jam and shoots where I point it.

Even today, it is my primary carry-weapon (CHL) because I trust it inherently.

The Judge is another story. It was purchased to be part of my survival kit in the airplane and as such, it's adequate for that. For anything else, the gun is a freakishly bad joke.

It's quality is non-existent. Mine came from the factory with a BENT front sight. Sent it back and was told "nothing wrong with it." I called them up and begged differ.

Got the gun back with a note saying it had been "repaired" and the fact of the matter is, not a stinking damned thing had been done to it. No adjustment, no replacement, nothing.

Lifetime warranty? Of course they'll offer one when they don't do any work on the gun.

Took the gun to a local gunsmith and he straightened the sight out and did a trigger job for me--basically had to take the entire gun apart and polish, sand, smooth everything.

Now the gun shoots just fine.

Ought to for having almost a thousand bucks in a five hundred dollar gun.

I don't like to say "never," but it is likely that I'll send campaign contributions to Sarah Brady and Eric Holder before I consider purchasing another Taurus.

My PT 92 bought over two decades ago is great and proven and has tens and tens and tens of thousands of rounds of all manufacture and power through it. it's ugly and scratched up and banged up and it just keeps on firing no matter what.

THAT is the "Taurus" I wish would come back. The "Taurus" we have now is too much like the "Lyman" we have--questionable in all regards.

:coffee: