PDA

View Full Version : old Vs new Rossi 92 357

sthwestvictoria
10-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Hello CastBoolits!

Long time lurker, first time poster.
I really enjoy the reloading and load work up side of shooting. Previously this has been with the bottlenecks 308 and 243 (I have the worlds nicest Model 70 featherweight in 243).

I have wanted to get going in plain lead and thought i would try a straight sided case and a lever to try new things - settling on a rossi in 38/357.

question is there is the option for an older one - serial K0121xx, octaganal barrel; which I understand is probably around 1977-78?
versus a new from shop one.

comparison between the two?
- different safeties
- are the steels equivalent?
- have twist rates stayed the same 1:30 in the rossi?
-can modern parts be used in the older rifle (ie have parts changed?)
-can current peep sights go on the older rifel?

which would you go for all things being equal. (i save about $200AUD going with the used one which would go towards smelting pot and molds).

thanks for you thoughts,

simon

wellfedirishman
10-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Simon , I have a newer 'old' model from the 1990s sometime. It is a quality rifle and shoots great with cast lead boolits with cowboy loads of Trailboss. I haven't done any real accuracy testing with hot loads, but anything I tried shot satisfactorily for ringing steel plates.

Personally I would go with the used one, especially if you can shoot it and cycle some rounds through the action prior to buying.

Ragnarok
10-29-2011, 09:32 PM
The new one will likely have the funky little bolt safety. Older versions won't. Older Rossi 92's were 'Pumas'..and some have funky little cougar head emblems on the receiver.

I didn't think Rossi offered octagon barrels until sometime in the 1990's..but don't know that for sure.

missionary5155
10-30-2011, 02:35 AM
Good morning
Have 2 in 45 Colt.. an Interarms & another Rossi. Both are pre-safties. Both will handle any sane load I have placed in them. I do not delve into 320 grainers at near 45-70 speeds as I have 45-70 lever guns. For my 155 pounds of bony body the pain factor and head snap from a very light carbine launching a heavy boolit fast takes over long before I need to be concerned about the rifle staying together. Old or new they have a structural limitation. They are strong... They will hurt terrible at both ends...
The caliber .357īs are better in that you have alot of chamber steel. The receiver though is still the weak link. Any sane 200 grainer load will not ever cause a problem. I dought you could get enough 296 (or similar) powder in a case to cause a rifle to come apart (but do not try). But be real careful with Unique & other mid-velocity powders. Those will give you grief if you try to make ultimate mag loads using them.
Mike in Peru

sthwestvictoria
10-30-2011, 07:56 AM
I didn't think Rossi offered octagon barrels until sometime in the 1990's..but don't know that for sure.

It does seem very difficult to pin down serial numbers to year of manufacture for the rossi line of rifles.

I based this off a statement that rossi added the K prefix in 1977 on this page of Rifles of the world:
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=Eq2Dnj4sDZIC&pg=PA404&lpg=PA404&dq=rossi+lever+k+prefix&source=bl&ots=sbnErdNFBN&sig=qWXpoEcKIZ-Bap7BWX-GjyXis2A&hl=en&ei=_DqtTrz-KciaiQethpHoDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CDwQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=rossi%20lever%20k%20prefix&f=false

sthwestvictoria
10-30-2011, 08:39 AM
with a bit more google-fu, this link suggests (tenuously) that a K026xxx dates from 1982:

http://www.shootersforum.com/model-92s-winchester-browning-rossi-navy-arms-lsi-uberti/24736-rossi-win92-disassembly-date-man.html

suggesting a K012xxx number should be about half way between 1977 and 1982?

Dan Cash
10-30-2011, 09:02 AM
I would not worry about the serial number range. My vote would be go with the used gun unless Bubba has had his hands on it. I have a fairly extensive collection and can only count 2 new in the box guns among them. They all work perfectly.

Ragnarok
10-30-2011, 09:48 AM
A pal of mine bought a used .357 mag version(plain carbine..Puma) some years back. I was quite impressed with it's accuracy...somewhat envious of the friend..'cause he got it cheap!

I made up my mind right there to buy one in .44 mag...however all the gunshops around here mark them up a bunch..and keep the calibers .357 mag and .45 Colt in stock..hard to find a .44 mag.

Then one of the gunshops changed hands..kept the same name..but the owner put more reasonable mark-ups on the goods...and stocks stainless .44mag Rossi's!!..He stocks a bunch of Rossis in various calibers actually....I bought one from him.

The only advantages I see to the new rossi versus the old one my pal has would be the newer one seems ever so slightly better/smoother machined than my pals early one. Smoother functioning..smoother/easier loading..and less noticable machine tool marks internaly. Stainless steel I consider a plus too.

Negatives would include the extra safety and a plastic follower in the mag.

Actual function and accuracy seems the saame..his .357 mag worked superbly..accuracy and all..my stainless .44 mag works superbly..accuracy and all.

357shooter
10-30-2011, 10:09 AM
At some point, when Braz Tech began importing the guns, they went to a slower twist rate. It probably doesn't matter, but something to be aware of.

I think (from memory) they used to be 16 to 1 and are now 30 to 1. Mine is the 30 to 1 variety, and it shoots great. Had a used one been available, I probably would have bought it and been just as happy with it. 357's lever actions are tough to come across, in stock. New or used.

Ragnarok
10-30-2011, 12:34 PM
When I went store-hopping for a stainless .44 mag..the most common Rossi's in stock were .357 mag..and .45 Colt. Could find .44 mags in octagon barrel..but not stainless standard carbine.

Surfing online..it would seem the .357 mag is a current favorite among shooters buying lever guns.

The .357 mag is apparently the current 'do-all'..plinking/self defense/light-duty hunting round/cowboy action round/companion gun caliber of choice among shooters looking for lever-guns.

Sort of mystifys me...I like the .357 mag for a handgun round..but for some reason or other..just cannot work up much enthusiam for it as a carbine round. Probably a personal mental thing with me..I've owned a couple .44 mag carbines for hunting purposes previous to my new Rossi..and have been quite succesful with them. This likely why I resist the .357 mag..I'm having too much fun with the .44 mag!

fecmech
10-30-2011, 05:19 PM
I have purchased 2 Braztec Rossis in the past couple years. One is a 20" carbine and the other the 24" octagon rifle and both are .357. Both have been trouble free from the "Gitgo" and both are accurate at both .38 spl and mag velocities with cast bullets. Both are 30" twist and love the Lee 125 rf, lee 158 TLSWC(1100-1300 fps) and Lyman 358429 for max mag loads( 1600 fps+). Change out the ejector spring and either thin or change out the trigger return spring and you will have a smooth lever gun with a good trigger.
I don't know much about the older ones as I only had 1 24" rifle for a short time. I tried a number of different loads in it but it would not shoot worth a darn so I sold it off. Life is too short for inaccurate rifles!

bob208
10-30-2011, 05:51 PM
i have one of the early rossi 92's got it 20 years ago at an auction.. fit and finish are on a par with a winchester 92. mine is in .357. which i think is a great cal. loaded up with .357 it will do just as good or a little better then a .44-40. loaded down with .38 spl. it will do as good as a .32-20.

sthwestvictoria
10-30-2011, 05:59 PM
The .357 mag is apparently the current 'do-all'..plinking/self defense/light-duty hunting round/cowboy action round/companion gun caliber of choice among shooters looking for lever-guns.

I think it is this that has interested me in the38/357 - that flexibility to load up, down and sideways. With the straight brass there is a lot more safety options for reduced loads, going to the .38 short case, huge variety of boolits. All these things will hopefully give more options for playing around than the bottle neck cartridges.

I've moved from wide open plains of flinders ranges South Australia to the more populated Victoria. The ability to play with shorter range, reduced/gallery loads is what has attracted me to the 38/357 option.

Norbrat
10-30-2011, 10:11 PM
I have an earlier (pre-safety) one and use it for Cowboy Silhouette.

Works fine, except recently the tip of the firing pin broke. I managed to get a later model pin (with safety notch) out of NZ, but it doesn't quite fit. The radius where the tip blends into the body of the pin is different, so the tip will not protrude through the bolt. I've given it to a machinist to modify, so should work out OK.

In the meantime, I stripped the finish off the stock and fore end and am rubbing some Bichwood Casey oil into it; it's coming up surprisingly nicely. There's some nice timber under that reddish stain!

This bloke seems to do some nice work on these guns; pity he isn't in Oz! http://www.stevesgunz.com/

I agree it's a versatile gun and calibre; I shoot 158 gn cast bollits with 5.5gn Trail Boss in 38 Special cases and it's a nice mild load to knock over the little steel critters.

Another bloke in the club uses his to bowl over goats in the Flinders using 14gns 2205 behind a 200gn soft nose "J" projectile and he reckons it drops them like a bag of manure!

If you decide to go ahead and get one, send me a PM as I have some other info I can send by snail mail which you may be interested in.

John Boy
10-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Go with the early one. They were made by Rossi in Brazil and quality was good, especially the bores. Rossi has since been bought out by Taurus. I have one of theirs also but there have been words on a couple of forums, the 357's are not as good as the no safety ones. Both of mine are 45 Colt

wellfedirishman
10-31-2011, 01:50 AM
If you do get either one, consider installing a Gunslinger spring kit from Brownells. It costs about $20 US and makes a world of difference to how smooth the action operates. I can cycle the action in mine with my pinky finger with the spring kit installed. Prior to that it was pretty stiff and slower to operate for speed shooting.

They are great guns for the money.

robertbank
10-31-2011, 10:08 AM
I have both the .357 and the .44MAg old style Rossis. Love them both. I installed a recoil pad on the .44Mag though. Full loads, say 20 gr of 4227 under my 250 gr boolit was hurtful with the curved butt plate. Hurts no more and now a fun gun to shoot. If you are planning on running heavier loads through the .44Mag Rossi do your shoulder a favour and install a recoil pad.

Take Care

Bob

pricedo
11-18-2011, 01:09 PM
The best Rossi 92s are the ones made AFTER Rossi retooled their Brazilian factory in the early 2000's and BEFORE Braztec got involved and stuck the unsightly "lawyer" safety on top of the receiver.
The Rossi Pumas marketed by LSI are from this era.
The Pumas that LSI is marketing now are made by Chiappa from Italy and are half the gun for double the money. But if prettier walnut means that much to you by all means pull $700+ out of you wallet and get one.
My Puma 92 is a LSI era 16" bbl Rossi in .357 Mag with a round barrel and without the ridiculous safety.
With my old eyes I sight iron sights at 25 yards.
I found that the gun shot too high even at the lowest setting on the elevation ramp under the rear sight leaf.
I completely removed the elevation ramp and let the rear iron sight leaf bottom out on the barrel and found the gun placed 158 grain SP bullets using the American Eagle brand factory ammo right in the bulls-eye at 25 yards.

GrayFox
11-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Question for new Rossi 92 buyers here. I just got two Rossi 92s via Braztech, both 16" .357s. They have a version of the old buckhorn rear sight, not the squared off one of the old Rossi, and both have two unfilled tapped holes that appear to be about .125" running along the barrel axis that are under the stepped elevator piece. Anyone know what they are there for? Also, they have very tall front sights -.5"- with brass beads.

One of these is stainless, the other blue with saddle ring and a rediculously large finger lever. I didn't want the latter, but it was the only other 16" the gun show dealer had, and I wanted one for the wife and myself. Oh, and there is no lawyer weasel wording anywhere on the rifles! Nothing but the serial number along the barrel axis on the bottom of the receiver ahead of the finger lever, and the barrel is stamped "Rossi 92 .38 special - .357 mag". The upper tang reads "Braztech, L.C. Miami, FL., Made in Brazil by Taurus". The wood on both is a straight grained very plain wood with a light reddish brown flat finnish that appers to be oil of some type. Trigger pulls on both a quite good, about 5 pounds with little creep, and the one on the blued gun seems a bit smoother.

Got a bunch of leaves to mulch this week, but I have a some of the Lee 158 GC158s that I'm going to run through the .358 lee sizer and give two light coats of thinned LLA, then try them out with about 15 grains of 2400 and see what they'll do. I think I'll try to polish the bores with some Flitz soaked patches before I head to the range to see how good they are and how bad my eyes are. I'll let you folks know how they shoot. GF

Both Actions are much smoother than either of the .45 Colt Rossi 82s I bought over 10 years ago to shoot cowboy with. I don't mind he little plastic safety, and if the rear sight is too problematic for us I'll order the replacement peep sights from Steve's Gunz.

357shooter
11-18-2011, 04:31 PM
The new round barrel guns come drilled and tapped for the Rossi Weaver Mount. It's available several places online.

Here's a Google search: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=UTF-8&q=rossi+scope+mount&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8228077137548178957&sa=X&ei=AMDGTtKcMsvLtge2t-mBDA&ved=0CFUQ8wIwAg#

pricedo
11-18-2011, 11:37 PM
Question for new Rossi 92 buyers here. I just got two Rossi 92s via Braztech, both 16" .357s. They have a version of the old buckhorn rear sight, not the squared off one of the old Rossi, and both have two unfilled tapped holes that appear to be about .125" running along the barrel axis that are under the stepped elevator piece. Anyone know what they are there for? Also, they have very tall front sights -.5"- with brass beads.

I have a "blue" pre-Braztec Amadeo Rossi 92 in .357 Mag with a 16" bbl that was sold through LSI as the Rossi Puma. It has the squared off sights and nothing under the rear sight ramp except barrel steel. My front sight is mounted on top of the front barrel band and there is no gold bead on it.

One of these is stainless, the other blue with saddle ring and a rediculously large finger lever. I didn't want the latter, but it was the only other 16" the gun show dealer had, and I wanted one for the wife and myself. Oh, and there is no lawyer weasel wording anywhere on the rifles! Nothing but the serial number along the barrel axis on the bottom of the receiver ahead of the finger lever, and the barrel is stamped "Rossi 92 .38 special - .357 mag". The upper tang reads "Braztech, L.C. Miami, FL., Made in Brazil by Taurus". The wood on both is a straight grained very plain wood with a light reddish brown flat finnish that appers to be oil of some type. Trigger pulls on both a quite good, about 5 pounds with little creep, and the one on the blued gun seems a bit smoother.

No saddle ring or large loop finger lever on mine. My upper tang reads "Amadeo Rossi SA-Made in Brazil". The trigger pull is crisp with no creep and breaks at less than 4 pounds pull. My wood is a rich dark grained Brazilian hardwood. I like it.

Got a bunch of leaves to mulch this week, but I have a some of the Lee 158 GC158s that I'm going to run through the .358 lee sizer and give two light coats of thinned LLA, then try them out with about 15 grains of 2400 and see what they'll do. I think I'll try to polish the bores with some Flitz soaked patches before I head to the range to see how good they are and how bad my eyes are. I'll let you folks know how they shoot. GF

Both Actions are much smoother than either of the .45 Colt Rossi 82s I bought over 10 years ago to shoot cowboy with. I don't mind he little plastic safety, and if the rear sight is too problematic for us I'll order the replacement peep sights from Steve's Gunz.

My gun shoots keyholes in the bulls-eye at 25 yards with the elevator ramp removed from the rear sight and the rear sight leaf bottomed out on the barrel. I'm using the cheap 158 grain SP American Eagle factory loads. If it ain't broke don't fix it so I'm keeping the factory sights as they are doing the job for me.

Above all, THERE IS NO RIDICULOUS "LAWYER" SAFETY ON MY GUN. I wouldn't have bought it if there was.

It is faithful to the design of the old Winchester 92s.

I want my 92s to look like a 92 and not some "nanny-statized" wonder that says in effect that gun owners are so dumb there has to be a dozen safeties on a gun to keep us from blowing our toes off.

If Braztec realized how much market share that ridiculous, unnecessary, quite frankly INSULTING :takinWiz:safety cost them they would order their factories to remove it tomorrow.

Of course Chiappa and Pedersoli love Braztecs stupid safety cause it steers more business for legacy 92s their way.

pricedo
11-19-2011, 03:27 PM
The new round barrel guns come drilled and tapped for the Rossi Weaver Mount. It's available several places online.

Here's a Google search: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=UTF-8&q=rossi+scope+mount&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8228077137548178957&sa=X&ei=AMDGTtKcMsvLtge2t-mBDA&ved=0CFUQ8wIwAg#

Never saw "Rooster Cogburn" with a scope on his 92.

Kinda defeats the principle of light and fast on target.

If the average hunting ranges are over 100 yards I take a bolt action with a scope.

For brush work I stick with the iron sights.

I have 2 LSI Rossi Puma 92s (pre Braztec & pre-safety) made by Amadeo Rossi SA, a 16" .357 Mag & a 20" .454 Casull.

The .454 Casull puts the 240 grain HP bullets from the Hornady XTP factory ammo right in the 25 yard bulls-eye with the sight ramp from the rear iron sight completely removed.

That puts me in hold on target range for a Whitetail buck out to 100 yards. If I am stand or field hunting where a longer shot than 100 yards is likely I take a scoped bolt action.

Success is all about picking the right tool for the job.

357shooter
11-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Never saw "Rooster Cogburn" with a scope on his 92.

Kinda defeats the principle of light and fast on target.

If the average hunting ranges are over 100 yards I take a bolt action with a scope.

For brush work I stick with the iron sights.

I have 2 LSI Rossi Puma 92s (pre Braztec & pre-safety) made by Amadeo Rossi SA, a 16" .357 Mag & a 20" .454 Casull.

The .454 Casull puts the 240 grain HP bullets from the Hornady XTP factory ammo right in the 25 yard bulls-eye with the sight ramp from the rear iron sight completely removed.

That puts me in hold on target range for a Whitetail buck out to 100 yards. If I am stand or field hunting where a longer shot than 100 yards is likely I take a scoped bolt action.

Success is all about picking the right tool for the job.One of the posters asked what the tapped holes are for and I answered the question.

If you don't like them being there, tell Rossi. Not me.

I do use them though as I prefer a 2X scope on my M92. I stricly target shoot and plink and don't care for hunting.

robertbank
11-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Different strokes for different folks. Lets stay cool guys.

Take Care

Bob

pricedo
11-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Hello CastBoolits!

Long time lurker, first time poster.
I really enjoy the reloading and load work up side of shooting. Previously this has been with the bottlenecks 308 and 243 (I have the worlds nicest Model 70 featherweight in 243).

I have wanted to get going in plain lead and thought i would try a straight sided case and a lever to try new things - settling on a rossi in 38/357.

question is there is the option for an older one - serial K0121xx, octaganal barrel; which I understand is probably around 1977-78?
versus a new from shop one.

comparison between the two?
- different safeties
- are the steels equivalent?
- have twist rates stayed the same 1:30 in the rossi?
-can modern parts be used in the older rifle (ie have parts changed?)
-can current peep sights go on the older rifel?

which would you go for all things being equal. (i save about $200AUD going with the used one which would go towards smelting pot and molds).

thanks for you thoughts,

simon

My Amadeo Rossi SA 92s were made in the 2000's or as an educated person would say in the first decade of the 21st century.

I can't speak for the real early model 92s built before Rossi retooled their factories with modern computer controlled & monitored machining technologies in the early 2000's.

I hear from several friends who have owned the early Rossis that some of the Rossi guns made pre-2000 are pretty rough. It was pretty well a krab shoot whether you got a good one or a bad one unless you did due diligence at the point of sale.

In other words the early Rossis were guns you bought on an individual basis in person after close inspection and testing and definitely not by mail order. They varied from barely functional junk to well built and accurate within the same year and model. What does that say for Rossi quality control back in those days?

What quality control? They went into the box as they came off the assembly line without any further adieu.

I own a 20" double barrel SxS break open action12 gauge shotgun made by Amadeo Rossi SA in the 1980's and it is an excellent, durable firearm that has fired many shots & has never malfunctioned. I hand picked it from a half dozen identical guns on the rack that had conspicuous flaws in both finish & functionality. A case in point illustration of my statements above.

pricedo
11-20-2011, 04:46 PM
One of the posters asked what the tapped holes are for and I answered the question.

If you don't like them being there, tell Rossi. Not me.

I do use them though as I prefer a 2X scope on my M92. I stricly target shoot and plink and don't care for hunting.

Not criticizing your ideas.

Like the boss said, "Different strokes for different folks".

Just telling you what mine are.

If after the smokes clears the buck is laying dead on the ground or the target has a few holes in it that weren't there before you started shooting all is well.

looseprojectile
11-21-2011, 06:01 AM
An early K prefix .38/.357 saddle ring carbine and an as new in the box .44 magnum octagon 24" barreled rifle with the bolt safety. An LSI import. Both have been everything I wanted them to be and function and shoot excellent. I bought each one of mine because they were beautifully fit and finished and had nice wood. The early rifle you see for sale doesn't have the stupid safety.
No matter what one you get it will serve you well, I expect. You will become one of us that post on forums about how well we like ours. Get the used one and form your own opinion. I'll bet that the previous owner of that rifle is not selling it cause he didn't like it. I have traded off lots of great guns cause I didn't have the cash at the time.
The one complaint I have is the one in thirty inch twist. Sure does beat the heck out of one in thirtyeight though.

Life is good

HDS
11-23-2011, 03:50 AM
My Rossi 92 (20" 44mag carbine) is of quite new manufacture, 2005+ I think, and it has no safety at all, I dunno if only the Rossis sent to the USA get the lawyer-safeties? Mine has a front sight with a brass bead and conventional buckhorn sights. Front sight is mounted behind the front barrel band.

Here's a pic I found of it:
http://i42.tinypic.com/14kktx0.jpg

A pause for the COZ
11-23-2011, 01:16 PM
I have a new m92 in .357 mag I just got last week. So far I am pretty happy. It cycles every hand load flawlessly I have tried except the 170 Keith style wad cutters I have. 158 grain wad cutters cycle fine as does the 180 grain rnfp's I have.
I have only shot it at 40 yards but so far accuracy is fantastic in most loads and good in the rest.

Bad- The stock looks like it was 1/2 finished. Not impressed at all with the wood finish. Action is stiff. After the 3rd round in the mag its hard to get them in. Trigger is stiff.

All the bad I will fix. Kind of sad you have to do that. But its $250 less than a Marlin and you still have to fix the marlins too. Besides I hate Micro groove barrels and cast boolits.

pricedo
11-23-2011, 07:06 PM
My Rossi 92 (20" 44mag carbine) is of quite new manufacture, 2005+ I think, and it has no safety at all, I dunno if only the Rossis sent to the USA get the lawyer-safeties? Mine has a front sight with a brass bead and conventional buckhorn sights. Front sight is mounted behind the front barrel band.

Here's a pic I found of it:

I find the lawyer-safety quite frankly insulting and I won't buy a Rossi with one.

Maybe the thinking is that Americans are such a bunch of wild eyed red necks :redneck:that we need 10 safeties on a gun to from blowing each other and ourselves apart.

That's insulting.:mad:

looseprojectile
11-23-2011, 07:44 PM
You seem to have a rude manner and a short fuse.
Change a little please.
I don't see any poster impugning those of us that reside in the US.
I certainly took no offense as I am aware of the litigious nature of the lawyers eager to jump on anyone these days for anything that promises to get them some money.

Life is good

robertbank
11-23-2011, 09:40 PM
I find the lawyer-safety quite frankly insulting and I won't buy a Rossi with one.

Maybe the thinking is that Americans are such a bunch of wild eyed red necks :redneck:that we need 10 safeties on a gun to from blowing each other and ourselves apart.

That's insulting.:mad:

Your Government regulations or rather your Tort laws are what is driving all this. Change the Tort laws and I suspect the gun manufacturers would lighten up a bit, or at least their lawyers would.

Take Care

Bob

helice
11-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Some time back I picked up an LSI Stainless Puma in 45 Colt. It has the bolt mounted safety. I must confess that I didn't mind it being there and thought it might be useful in unloading the rifle but it seemed unnecessary. Then I found out why it was there. Stevez Guns (see post #14) makes a beautiful peep sight that fits in that safety. Everything is held in by a pin. It was simple to knock out the pin, stick all the safety parts in a zip lock bag and pin in the sight. My LSI had a funky 2 piece rear sight that was a bit on the loose side. Groups shrunk with the add of the peep. I liked the Puma when I bought it and now that I know about Stevez gunsight, I'd buy a bunch with that safety.

robertbank
11-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Some time back I picked up an LSI Stainless Puma in 45 Colt. It has the bolt mounted safety. I must confess that I didn't mind it being there and thought it might be useful in unloading the rifle but it seemed unnecessary. Then I found out why it was there. Stevez Guns (see post #14) makes a beautiful peep sight that fits in that safety. Everything is held in by a pin. It was simple to knock out the pin, stick all the safety parts in a zip lock bag and pin in the sight. My LSI had a funky 2 piece rear sight that was a bit on the loose side. Groups shrunk with the add of the peep. I liked the Puma when I bought it and now that I know about Stevez gunsight, I'd buy a bunch with that safety.

+1 on that. I have two models without the safety and wish they were there so I could remove them and mount Steve's peep on the gun. I opted for the Skinner barrel mounted peep. Works but not as good if it were mounted closer to my eye.

Take Care

Bob

HDS
11-25-2011, 03:19 AM
Yeah that's a definite plus for the safety at least, a real nice peep sight.

pricedo
11-25-2011, 03:19 PM
+1 on that. I have two models without the safety and wish they were there so I could remove them and mount Steve's peep on the gun. I opted for the Skinner barrel mounted peep. Works but not as good if it were mounted closer to my eye.

Take Care

Bob

I saw a Rossi 92 in .44 Mag where the safety hole and the unsightly "S" and "F" indentations were filled, ground off and polished by the owner who was proficient in TIG welding.

The gun looked like it never, ever had a safety.

No conspicuous gaps or amateurish looking left over letter indentations.

It would probably be expensive sending the gun to a welding shop to get this done but it sure made for a professional looking makeover job.

pricedo
11-25-2011, 07:21 PM
You seem to have a rude manner and a short fuse.
Change a little please.
I don't see any poster impugning those of us that reside in the US.
I certainly took no offense as I am aware of the litigious nature of the lawyers eager to jump on anyone these days for anything that promises to get them some money.

Life is good

Thanks for the free personal development lesson. :-)

I'll be sure to include it as a taxable benefit on my 2011 income tax return. ;-)

Seriously: Your probably right about the generally litigious attitude prevalent in the USA for putting the Braztec Lawyers in Devcon 1 mode.

There were a lot of malicious and punitive law suits directed against gun manufacturers especially during the Clinton administration.

The Bush Jr. administration passed some legislation that put a stop to a lot of this.

I've seen Rossi 92s that were shipped to Canada and New Zealand recently and they had no safeties.

I'm fortunate to have 3 Rossi 92s (.357, .44, .454) without the unsightly contraptions.

looseprojectile
11-26-2011, 04:40 AM
Your'e very welcome and thank you.

Life is good

pricedo
11-26-2011, 04:06 PM
I have a new m92 in .357 mag I just got last week. So far I am pretty happy. It cycles every hand load flawlessly I have tried except the 170 Keith style wad cutters I have. 158 grain wad cutters cycle fine as does the 180 grain rnfp's I have.
I have only shot it at 40 yards but so far accuracy is fantastic in most loads and good in the rest.

Bad- The stock looks like it was 1/2 finished. Not impressed at all with the wood finish. Action is stiff. After the 3rd round in the mag its hard to get them in. Trigger is stiff.

All the bad I will fix. Kind of sad you have to do that. But its $250 less than a Marlin and you still have to fix the marlins too. Besides I hate Micro groove barrels and cast boolits.

The stock on mine is a rich dark colored Brazilian hardwood. I like it.

The bluing is about the same as the one illustrated and as far as I'm concerned is quite good.

My .357 is very close to the original Winchester design. Much more-so than the Japanese (Miroku) made 92s being currently peddled as Winchesters with the tang safety and going for 3X the price of the Rossi 92.

looseprojectile
11-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Didjagitchyernewgunyet.

I hope that the urging that you have received here doesn't result in you getting a Rossi that might have a problem. Yes there are some I am sorry to say.

If at all possible see if the dealer will let you take the gun to the range and try it before you buy it. See if it will run 38 special and .357 magnum ammo.

BUT be advised that when you get it and if it is lacking in any way it can be fixed with help from the people here.
Don't wait too long or it will be gone.

Life is good

northmn
11-27-2011, 11:24 AM
I had a Rossi 357 and liked it BUT:
I had to file the rear sight down and redo it as it would shoot high with the hottest 357 load. Some have had to get a higher factory front sight. Mine also was not drilled for a peep sight which my older eyes prefer.
To get it to group shot to shot I had to take it apart and work over the forearm and front ring as it would walk when the barrel heated. (To be fair I just did that with an older Marlin)
The 38/357 loads shoot to a very different point of aim and mine liked a couple of loads that I could adjust on the rear sight. The 38 special were in the top notch and a moderate 357 load in the middle with hot 357's (as in factory loads) in the bottom. I kept my 32-20 as I like just one load but could have done that with the Rossi.
It did not like to feed some of the very flat nose bullet designs but did feed round nose and semi wadcutters.
It was a fun little rifle and the person I traded it to enjoys it as a nice little pickup/4 wheeler gun.
The 357 is OK for up close deer, which is all a lot of folks hunt, and is less destructive on small stuff. It is a good little round. The 1-30 twist may not handle the heavier 357 bullets (over 158 gr) which would make it a little better on bigger stuff. Rifles vary on that issue. If I had it to do again I would have bought a Winchester 94 carbine in 30-30 and loaded it down with 150 grain bullets for light work, but that is very personal and some like the smaller cartridges.

DP

TXGunNut
11-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Your Government regulations or rather your Tort laws are what is driving all this. Change the Tort laws and I suspect the gun manufacturers would lighten up a bit, or at least their lawyers would. -robertbank

I'm not so sure, Bob. I suspect the insurance companies are closely involved in this and doubt they'll ever allow removing a device intended to make a product safer unless another device is used. Tort reform is a very ambitious goal and even then it'll take the insurance companies years to lighten up and allow manufacturers to build firearms like they did in the "good old days".
Hopefully OP won't have to deal with this issue. Speaking of OP, I have some friends in Hamilton, Victoria. Probably won't know them unless he likes American built cars, tho.

pricedo
11-27-2011, 07:02 PM
I had a Rossi 357 and liked it BUT:
I had to file the rear sight down and redo it as it would shoot high with the hottest 357 load. Some have had to get a higher factory front sight. Mine also was not drilled for a peep sight which my older eyes prefer.
To get it to group shot to shot I had to take it apart and work over the forearm and front ring as it would walk when the barrel heated. (To be fair I just did that with an older Marlin)
The 38/357 loads shoot to a very different point of aim and mine liked a couple of loads that I could adjust on the rear sight. The 38 special were in the top notch and a moderate 357 load in the middle with hot 357's (as in factory loads) in the bottom. I kept my 32-20 as I like just one load but could have done that with the Rossi.
It did not like to feed some of the very flat nose bullet designs but did feed round nose and semi wadcutters.
It was a fun little rifle and the person I traded it to enjoys it as a nice little pickup/4 wheeler gun.
The 357 is OK for up close deer, which is all a lot of folks hunt, and is less destructive on small stuff. It is a good little round. The 1-30 twist may not handle the heavier 357 bullets (over 158 gr) which would make it a little better on bigger stuff. Rifles vary on that issue. If I had it to do again I would have bought a Winchester 94 carbine in 30-30 and loaded it down with 150 grain bullets for light work, but that is very personal and some like the smaller cartridges.

DP

Mine shoots the American Eagle 158 gr. FP ammo in nice tight groups at 25 yards.

I had to remove the elevation ramp completely from the rear sight and let the sight leaf rest on the barrel.

pricedo
12-10-2011, 07:08 AM
At some point, when Braz Tech began importing the guns, they went to a slower twist rate. It probably doesn't matter, but something to be aware of.

I think (from memory) they used to be 16 to 1 and are now 30 to 1. Mine is the 30 to 1 variety, and it shoots great. Had a used one been available, I probably would have bought it and been just as happy with it. 357's lever actions are tough to come across, in stock. New or used.

Won't matter for the lighter bullets but you might notice a difference if you are pushing the 180 - 200 grain bullets out of the rifle.

The faster the twist rate will stabilize heavier bullets.