PDA

View Full Version : What do you keep Ed's Red in?

Aegis
10-29-2011, 01:44 PM
I got everything to make Ed's Red and I was going to use a plastic gas can to keep it in. When my neighbor noticed I was about to pour the actone in. He came over and told me that it would eat thru the gas can. I looked it up online and actone will dissolve it. I've tried to find a metal can ,but that been a no go. Paint cans have plastic bottoms.[smilie=b: So what does everyone use to store it?

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Vintage steel cans...re-use 'em Baby !
like Seafoam or Lacquor or linseed oil.
I've gotton most of mine from garage sales and
the county's Household hazardous waste site.
Jon

Trey45
10-29-2011, 01:52 PM
How about a Jerry can from your local army navy surplus store?

Kraschenbirn
10-29-2011, 02:02 PM
I store mine in quart canning jars with neoprene seal rings.

Bill

thehouseproduct
10-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Acetone melts gas cans? What's the source? Mine has been in a gas can over a year. For using small amounts, I have a laboratory acetone squirt bottle.

Mk42gunner
10-29-2011, 03:10 PM
I keep mine in a platic gas can that is old enough to have a rigid spout and a vent. When I use it I just open the vent (smaller hole) to wet a patch. I have't made any with lanolin yet.

If you found the actual instructions from Ed Harris on the web; he states which type of plastic gas container will work and which won't.

If nothing else, you can reuse the cans the ingredients came in, as long as you relabel the cans.

Robert

geargnasher
10-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Gallon glass wine jugs for large quantities, glass olive oil bottles for dispensing at the workbench. All have steel caps, Nylon gaskets, and pour restrictors.

Gear

wiljen
10-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Recycled Coleman fuel jerry cans

Johnny_Cyclone
10-29-2011, 03:29 PM
This was in the instructions I had on file..

MIXING INSTRUCTIONS FOR "ER" BORE CLEANER:

Mix outdoors, in good ventilation. Use a clean 1 gallon metal,
chemical-resistant, or a heavy gage PET or PVC plastic container. NFPA
approved plastic gasoline storage containers are also OK. Do NOT use
HDPE, which is permeable, because the acetone will eventually evaporate.
The acetone in ER will also attack HDPE, causing the container to
collapse, making a heck of a mess!

Flinchrock
10-29-2011, 03:43 PM
I got everything to make Ed's Red and I was going to use a plastic gas can to keep it in. When my neighbor noticed I was about to pour the actone in. He came over and told me that it would eat thru the gas can. I looked it up online and actone will dissolve it. I've tried to find a metal can ,but that been a no go. Paint cans have plastic bottoms.[smilie=b: So what does everyone use to store it?

Ya know those yellow plastic squeeze bottles that mustard comes in???

I KEEP acetone in them for use around my machine shop.
I label them, but I don't care what you do with yours. If you accidently put some on a hot dog you'll figure it out soon enough!!:lol:

Aegis
10-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Acetone melts gas cans? What's the source? Mine has been in a gas can over a year. For using small amounts, I have a laboratory acetone squirt bottle.

I got this from Wikipedia.
Acetone is a good solvent for most plastics and synthetic fibers including those used in laboratory bottles made of polystyrene, polycarbonate and some types of polypropylene.
The gas cans I have are made from polypropylene(HDPE). I don't think I would risk it.
Thanks for the ideals on how to store it.

Dale in Louisiana
10-29-2011, 04:44 PM
I used glass sample bottles from one of the local refineries. they hold a quart and use a real cork to seal. One batch of ER=four bottles. More than enough for yourself and your friends.

I guess I need to make up another batch.

by the way, acetone is hygroscopic (absorbs water) so if you store it in a steel can, it may cause rust. Of course, you're making it into Ed's Red, which PREVENTS rust, so...

dale in Louisiana

shooter93
10-29-2011, 06:06 PM
I use a lot of paint thinners/acetone/mineral spirits etc and always buy the metal cans. If you don't have any find a painting outfit od cabinet shop and ask them for a couple of the metal cans.

357tex
10-29-2011, 06:38 PM
I mix it in a metal can and store the bulk of it in same can.To use it I pour it into zippo lighter fluid cans works good.

RayinNH
10-29-2011, 07:40 PM
I use Snapple iced tea bottles, just make sure to re-label them. For dispensing, soy sauce bottles work great. The long neck allows you to grab the bottle one handed with a patch and your finger over the spout...Ray

imashooter2
10-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Mine is in a 1 gallon square metal can that the mineral spirits came in.

MtGun44
10-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Polypropylene is not the same thing as HDPE. HDPE is high density polyethylene.
I believe that they will have different capabilities to withstand various solvents.

Bill

btroj
10-29-2011, 08:33 PM
I keepit in someone else's garage. I don't like the stuff so I don't use it.

Sprue
10-29-2011, 09:21 PM
I store mine in quart canning jars with neoprene seal rings.

Bill

Ditto

woody1
10-29-2011, 09:24 PM
I keep big bulk in Coleman fuel can. Smaller bulk amount in a whiskey bottle. My using bottle is a recycled Hoppe's or Shooter's Choice bottle. Works for me. Regards, Woody

lesharris
10-29-2011, 09:34 PM
I use a metal paint can that i bought new in either Lowe's or Home Depot.
It does not have a plastic bottom.
Les.

twotoescharlie
10-29-2011, 09:38 PM
most any bottle with the recycle triangle with the number 2 in it will work.

TTC

beagle
10-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Store mine in Bicardi Rum bottles taped with masking tape and well labeled. definitely keeps the wino population around my place under control./beagle

alamogunr
10-29-2011, 10:58 PM
most any bottle with the recycle triangle with the number 2 in it will work.

TTC

I've had my Ed's Red in one of these(Welch's Grape Juice) for more than 5 years. If the acetone permeates this material, it is long gone. I really don't need it anyway. My understanding is that it is included primarily for dissolving plastic wad material from shotgun barrels.

Beagle's solution of wrapping duct tape around a glass bottle is the only way I would use glass. I've dropped too many things to trust plain glass.

TCLouis
10-29-2011, 11:20 PM
A gallon can left from mineral spirits or Coleman Fuel works for me. I add the acetone only to small batches kept in an old WW296 can

Rokkit Syinss
10-30-2011, 01:12 AM
Being the guy that tested Ed's Red for Ed to see if it met MIL-C-372B my preferred storage container is glass. I mix in a one gallon jug that originally held acetone. I store in pint Mason jars that are then placed inside the small plastic Folger's coffee "cans". Note I mix in the gallon and store in the pints, also makes it easier to give away some to friends. For use I pour from the pint to a 4 ounce jelly jar with a home canning type lid. I used to use a brown glass Menda dispenser with locking pump but that has long since disappeared.

No plastic is acetone proof, some are just more resistant than others.

Dale53
10-30-2011, 10:50 AM
I mix and store my main supply in a one gallon steel can I got, empty, new, from the local paint store. As far as I know, they are still available for a modest sum.

I use drug store 4 oz medicine bottles for range and bench use (use Ed Harris' recommendation - my local pharmacist gave me a few new bottles that matched up with Ed's recommendations). I have used Ed's Red for many years and am still using the original medicine bottles). They are of approved plastic.

FWIW
Dale53

BD
10-30-2011, 11:30 AM
I've been keeping mine in the same one gallon red plastic gas can for 10 years. It apparently pre-dates the plastic labeling laws as all it says is "Genuine Blitz built Product". No sign of it dissolving so far.
BD

midnight
10-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Empty glass bourbon bottles with cork stoppers work for me. If you need any, I'll come ove and help you empty them.

Bob

RobS
10-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Red, Plastic, 1 Gallon Gas Can

Leadlum
10-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Mayonaise jar.