PDA

View Full Version : S&W 19 @ the range

robroy
10-29-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't have much experience with revolvers, so this was a learning experience with respect to my technique at the bench. The first time out with this gun it bit my middle finger with the trigger guard for six shots and I stopped. After I changed out the factory wood target grips for Hogue monogrips no more bite. this time my groups tightened up as I went along. The bench presented some problems that I addressed. My trifocals are a litteral pain in the neck when I try to focus on the front sight. I have a pair of occupational lens safety glasses that may do the trick. Anyway I shot 42 rounds in single action and shrunk the groups from about 5 1/2 inches to about 3 1/2 inches @ 17 paces (that's where the berm was) as I made adjustments.

I ended up with my elbows on the bench and my hands on the bag. I need some padding under my elbows because sore funny bones a'int humerous.

Now to clean out the copper and get after some cast loads.

Any suggestions as to bench technique are appreciated. Once I find a suitable load I'll be shooting off hand as much as I can. I haven't been plinkin' since I was a kid so some tin cans or shotgun shells or such will be fun.

redneckdan
10-29-2011, 01:36 PM
I use a rolled up towel under the barrel and a blanket spread on the bench under my elbows. I have found that resting the butt of the gun causes accuracy issues.

Are you interested in selling the target grips?

robroy
10-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Yes I am interested in selling the target grips. what are they worth to you?

Actualy shoot me a PM with your e-mail I'll send pictures. There's a chip on one side that may influence your decision.

Bret4207
10-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Are you shooting magnums of 38 target stuff? If you aren't used to revolvers I suggest starting off with a few hundred nice, mild 38's till you get used to the gun and figure out your happy spot as far as grip, etc.

The Model 19 Smith is a marvelous gun, everyone should one at least one. But full house mags are a bit on the harsh side for new shooters.

btroj
10-29-2011, 05:58 PM
Bret is dead on. I shoot way more 38s than I do magnums. I prefer the lower recoil, less powder usage, and quieter nature of the 38s.
When I plan to shoot a bunch of magnums it takes me a few cylinders to get used to them.

robroy
10-29-2011, 08:33 PM
I had factory Rem 125 flat nose 357 magnum. The recoil wasn't too bad. I just needed to know where to pad and how much. Profs Smith and Wesson obliged me and told me what I needed to know