PDA

View Full Version : Toying with an idea... Re-barreling.

Sonnypie
10-29-2011, 11:50 AM
I used to hunt, used to actually put all the meat on the table. If I saw it, I could bring it home.
But anymore, I just hunt targets and steel at the range.
So I've been toying with the idea of having my Winchester Model 70 Featherweight re-barreled with a bull barrel for target shooting. It already has a new stock I put on when the original got broken in a car wreck.
Anybody else gone this route with your sporter?
I figure I know the rifle and action, and it's history.
Just toying with the idea...
Thought I'd ask here before actually talking to a gunsmith. :D

Me not you
10-29-2011, 02:00 PM
That's similar to re-working an old military rifle. You can probably assume the bolt's locking lugs are pretty well seated. The M70 action is a good one, so that should not be an issue. Logically I don't see why a top-quality heavy barrel shouldn't work out. Bedding is critical, and that's an art in itself. What kind of cartridge are you considering?

frank_1947
10-29-2011, 07:22 PM
go to shilen barrel, they might have a drop in like they do for savage then all you need in a GO gauge or you can have them do it they make a nice barrel.

If you do put a big barrel on you will have to inlet the barrel channel on your stock to free float it and just make it fit then you can pillar and glass bed it, be careful get a video or help if you never have bed one, there is nothing like a shile or krieger barrel I have both one is a 6mm BR the other is a 30BR acuracy is almost hard to believe, good luck if i can be of any help let me know.

Gtek
10-30-2011, 10:59 AM
Depending on caliber and age/condition, they will pull 4-7 bills. That kind of scratch and maybe just a little more you can get something you want. New barrel- good one $300, if you cannot change and chamber another $150. You will need to carve out $100 stock or buy new-$100 plus. How much do you love this rifle. The Savage fat barrel 308's are usually tack drivers, and if you want to change you can go to anything with a .473 butt on it real easy. I am a Win 70 fan, way more than I should be. I have more than a few that live in HS stocks with fat barrels, some factory and some built by me. Bottm line- parts and labor run past what you may want real quick if your not the crank, and then sometimes it does anyway. Good Luck with your mental volleyball. Gtek

Sonnypie
10-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Oh, I'm sorry. It is a 30-06 Springfield caliber.
First high power round I ever fired was 30-06 Springfield in one of Dad's 1903-A3 National Match rifles.
It's been a life-long love affair with the cartridge.

I replaced the broken stock with a Richard's Micro (http://rifle-stocks.com/) laminated stock. And I free-floated the barrel entirely from the action forward, as per the original stock.
So if I was to re-barrel it, I would again be free-floating the new barrel. (That has always made sense to me, for a lot of reasons.)

I was looking at Shilen's web site a while back. I think it poisoned my mind, and got me "hooked" :lol:
Maybe I should just build an entirely new rifle in my beloved caliber. Something outrageous. Just for bench rest.
Break my mold about Military and sporter styles.
Cost is a consideration, being retired and all. And I'm a very hands on type of guy.
But I am being drawn like a moth to a flame.....

Thank You for your help, Gents. :-)

Blammer
10-30-2011, 12:17 PM
I would not lean towards a heavy barrel if you are getting a good quality one from a place like shilen. Perhaps a mid wt or dare I say a regular barrel would be just fine.

One of the most accurate barrels I have (and it's in 30-06) is a pencil barrel. Stone cold or smokin hot it shoots into the same group.

There's my opinion on the matter.

BD
11-06-2011, 12:40 PM
If that particular rifle has some value to you, I'd give Douglas in WV a call. A re-barrel to a midweight XX air guaged barrel and action truing should run right around $500. It's the best deal I've found. I just had them put a SS xx barrel on my primary hunting rifle, and would recommend them to anyone.
BD

Larry Gibson
11-06-2011, 03:28 PM
If you want to shoot cast bullets in it upwards of 200 gr at HV in '06 then I suggest sending to Shilen and have them install a 30" Palma barrel in '06 with the "tight neck" and a 14" twist. Will be great with cast bullets, especiall of 150 - 170 gr at 2600+ fps.

Larry Gibson

357Mag
11-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Sonnie -

Please check your PM's.

Regards,
357Mag

leadman
11-10-2011, 02:48 AM
ER Shaw has a decent rep and don't seem to be overpriced.