PDA

View Full Version : Rust blue a Winchester post-64 94 receiver?

lcclower
10-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Is it possible to get an acceptable rust blue job on the receiver of a post-64 Winchester '94?
Enquiring minds want to know.

Ragnarok
10-29-2011, 11:44 AM
Do it the usual hot blue way and it's golden..like a new penny!

Pilkington rust blue will work, though it requires a humidity cabinant and may require a couple attempts.

calaloo
10-29-2011, 01:23 PM
I did one and it blued very nicely. Rust blue is easy to do. A certain amount of humidity is required though. The cheaper solution from Brownells works a well as Pilkingtons. You need a tank to boil the piece in and a very soft wire wheel to card the black rust off.

uscra112
10-30-2011, 12:38 AM
I did one and it blued very nicely. Rust blue is easy to do. A certain amount of humidity is required though. The cheaper solution from Brownells works a well as Pilkingtons. You need a tank to boil the piece in and a very soft wire wheel to card the black rust off.

Boil the wheel in TSP before you use it, rinse thoroughly, then dunk in alcohol to get all the water out. I spoiled my first job with oil that was in the (brand new) wheel. I also had to learn to store the wheel in a sealed bag with desiccant to keep it from rusting itself.

izzyjoe
10-30-2011, 11:06 AM
a fellow that i used to work with, he was a gunsmith. he told me that he used some sort of clothing dye for '94 reciever's to get the factory blue look.