PDA

View Full Version : Question on Win High Wall forearm...

NSB
10-29-2011, 09:25 AM
Probably a stupid question but I'm going to ask it before I do anything. I just got my Winchester 1885 High Wall and the instructions for the gun are almost non-existant. Nothing on disassembly (it's the 125th Anniversary model in 45-70). The forearm moves quite a bit and is hitting the barrel on the left side. The two screws on the bottom are tight. I'd like to take the forearm off and sand it a little to keep it off the barrel on the left side. Is anything else held in place with the forearm that could come loose or apart when I remove the forarm screws or are the two screws just holding the forearm onto a hanger? Sounds dumb but it's all new to me and Winchester must have figured I didn't need to know since there's nothing in the owners manual showing how to disassemble anything. Thanks for any insight you can give.

kokomokid
10-29-2011, 09:46 AM
I use an O-ring under the fore end at each screw. Forearm stays slightly loose but doesnt touch anything. I run screws barely snug.

Gtek
10-29-2011, 10:47 AM
There is nothing to fear, pull two screws and off it comes. One of mine contacted a little, I pulled wood and tweaked rail and it does not touch now. Make sure your rail is tight in rec when diss'd.
The o-ring on non floaters is a good try, but that design is a free floater and should only touch rec face slightly. I have clearanced mine there also to remove possible tension. I want wood only touching bottom of rail and screw contact points. Gtek

Gtek
10-29-2011, 10:49 AM
I forgot one thing, when done place on rest like you were going to shoot and slide wrapped dollar bill down barrel. It should slide all the way to rec'r. If it does not- you are not floating. Gtek

NSB
10-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Well, the forearm came off really easy, no problem. However, when I got it off I found an "extra" hole drilled into the forearm in front of the inlet for the hanger. It goes in at an angle and almost goes completely through the wood. In addition to that, there is a "patch" of some sort in the inletting where it looks like they might have repaired a crack or something. Is this normal on a brand new gun? Should I be concerned?

Tatume
10-29-2011, 12:27 PM
The black material you called a "patch" is some sort of bedding compound. They all have it, although I'm not certain why.

Gtek
10-29-2011, 11:20 PM
The extra hole may have been used for and during manuf' as a tooling point. Confirm fit, rub some tung oil / varnish on the inside if you open pores, put it back on, and go shoot it! Enjoy! Gtek