PDA

View Full Version : Best storage lube?

leadbutt
10-29-2011, 12:01 AM
So what would be the best lube mix to use if your going to be storing your ammo for a while on the shelf? Say for a few years.

L. Bottoms

Dale53
10-29-2011, 01:01 AM
I tend to put my money where my mouth is. I use Lars White Label Carnauba Red. It shoots as well as the NRA 50/50 Alox/Beeswax but has a higher melting point. That is important to me as I often shoot during weather extremes. Cars can get hot enough that soft lube can (and will) melt and ruin your load. Yes, I have had that happen and at the most inopportune times!

Carnauba Red requires heat to run through a sizer (I use a Star Sizer). I have a Lyman heater with a rheostat to control the heat. It only requires a bit but it DOES need it to flow correctly through the sizer (whether Star, Lyman or RCBS).

After the Carnauba Red cools off, it no longer is sticky and bullets lubed with it stack nicely. I store mine lined up like little soldiers but still appreciate none sticky, non-migrating bullet lube!

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/BulletBoxes-3722.jpg

Dale53

Love Life
10-29-2011, 02:40 AM
For mass boolits to store long time I use Magma Blue lube. It's not even sticky when the boolit comes out of the sizer. I use it in the summer time for 454 Casull and 357 Mag when I don't want to load sticky boolits. Before I ran out, BullShop's Lotak Hard was the bee's knees.

btroj
10-29-2011, 08:12 AM
To store loaded ammo I don't thinkof matters much as long as Ypu don't store the ammo where it gets hot. Hat for extended periods of say 100 degrees can allow some lubes to flow killing part of a powder charge. My ammo is stored in my basement where it never gets close to that hot. I use any lube I want and don't worry about it.
I don't worry about storage of lubed bullets much either. They are stored piled up in whatever container is handy at the time. Some lubes stick bullets together a bit but I have never noticed that it caused a problem. Some lube may end up on bullet noses but that wipes off easily.

I just prefer not to over think things. I like simple.

leadbutt
10-30-2011, 05:48 PM
my main worry was the lube ruining the load. thanks guys for the responses.