PDA

View Full Version : I need a night vision device....where?

3006guns
10-28-2011, 09:58 PM
I just got a phone call from a good friend's wife. She wants my help in locating her husband a night vision scope for a Christmas present, to replace his broken one. She also mentioned "affordable". I've looked through his old one on a shooting trip and it was amazing.....everything was green but quite visible.

Frankly, I don't know where to look so I'm asking for guidance and suggestions from folks here on the board. Any ideas?

Edit: I should have mentioned that she's NOT necessarily looking for a rifle scope, just a portable hand held vision device like a scope or binoculars. Sorry about the confusion!

mooman76
10-29-2011, 12:07 AM
Big 5 sports has them.

Three44s
10-29-2011, 01:42 AM
PM me if a Gen IV would be in her price range.

I have a friend that wants to sell one of his two identical Gen IV units.

Three 44s

Love Life
10-29-2011, 02:07 AM
Look at sportsman's guide as well. People get hung up on the generation, but gen 2-4 will all serve your friend's needs. Unless he has to absolutely read a book from 200 yards away.

hiram
10-29-2011, 07:12 AM
http://www.opticsplanet.net/nightvisionbesandtop.html

3006guns
10-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Now I have some ideas for her.

Three44s.......I'll PM you.

x101airborne
10-29-2011, 10:02 AM
I use nite vision often and own 4 different models. I know the ATN's are cheap-er, but they have drawbacks. One.... they rely on a seperate IR illuminator. Just another thing to put batteries in. Also, they have a daytime operations filter that if used much or possibly at all, they lead to a dark spot in the center of the scope. This consequently is where the aiming reticle is.

I prefer to use the military versions, myself. I have three PVS-4's one PVS-5, and one PVS-14. The PVS-4's are gen 2 and are good for me out to 300 yards. They are heavier and more cumbersome and require a battery adapter to get to standard AA batteries. Their advantages are that they are completely water proof, interchangable reticles including bullet drop compensation out to 1000 yards for 308 and 1200 for 50 cal. They are IR protected so if someone accidentally turns on a flashlight or something, they dont fry. Also, they are dang near recoil PROOF. They can go on any weapon system, anywhere, anytime. They do have a daytime operations filter that comes with them depending on where you get yours.

The PVS-5 is too large to carry. at around 5 pounds (feels like 50 after carrying it all nite) it is just too much. It is a gen 3+ and is CRYSTAL clear. I use mine on a tripod to spot out to 1400 yards and not only can I see the hogs, I can range em, size em, and identify any calicoes in the group.

The pVS-14 is my favorite. It is not a scope, it is a seperate IR intensifier with 3x magnafication. Used behind an aimpoint 68, it is my lightest, most portable, dependable gen 4+. When I walk all nite, it is the one I carry. Problem is it's cost. Near 9 grand for that site and an aimpoint. I think my next scope will be an infra-red (thermal) as the cost is coming down slowly.

leftiye
10-30-2011, 02:05 AM
There's a German army Zeiss 5x starlight scope on Sportsman's Guide for about $700. I'd jump on it if I weren't in a pinch right now.

Storydude
11-06-2011, 02:24 AM
There's a German army Zeiss 5x starlight scope on Sportsman's Guide for about $700. I'd jump on it if I weren't in a pinch right now.

Copes dist. has them for 575 IIRC.

buck1
11-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Big 5 sports has them.

I think they are on sale right now.