PDA

View Full Version : POI change in an Encore

camotruck
10-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Maybe I'm expecting too much. I have an Encore and 5 different barrels, and as I change bbls and then back the Point of Impact changes. I can "adjust" the POI by changing the touque on the forend screws. I thought the problem was in the forend. I pillar bedded the forend and it still changes POI depending on how hard I tighten the screws. I was thinking about a bull berry hanger but I don't see them listed on Bull Berry's web site.

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing? any thoughts?

And, no I don't expect every BBl or any BBL to have the same POI thats not what this is about. But I don't think POI should change from one thime to the next using the same BBL. at this piont I can put a BBL on, my .204 Ruger for example and it will shoot a bug hole 5 shot group, but if I take it off and shoot my 17 HMR and then put my 204 back on it still shoots a bug hole but in a totaly differn spot.

Along with the pillar bedding I have done a trigger job and replaced the stock pin with an oversized pin. My thought is to go back to the standard pin and maybe even bed the stock.

BABore
10-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Use a torque adjustable screw driver. You can also run one screw tight and the other just barely snug. You are anchoring a section of the bbl between the two screws. Screw torques are changing the harmonics. The Bullberry hanger bar is not that much better. I had to run mine with one screw loose to get the best accuracy. I wouldn't ditch the oversize hinge pin either. It's definetly beneficial to accuracy. You may want to replace all of your locking bolt springs with Bellem's HD model so lock up is more consistent.

I have an idea of making my own hanger bar setup where one bbl stud location is fixed with a shoulder bolt and shim washers and the other hole location is a slot for the same shoulder bolt setup. With just a very small amount of clearance, this should allow the bbl to flex and grow when heated without changing tension. Another thought would be to use nylon capscrews instead of steel ones to allow some movement.

camotruck
10-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks BABore I have the Heavy Duty Lock up springs in all the BBls. It was suggested to me to use a torque wrench and I just don't want to add that to my range bag LOL but I guess thats better than having to re-zero the rifle every time. I like the idea of a single hanger. Maybe I can come up with something.

DistRifle
11-08-2011, 10:09 PM
I had a problem with the POI changing after 3 or 4 shots. I bedded the fore end and started using a torque wrench (FAT from Midsouth). That cured it.

jwmprock
11-13-2011, 04:37 PM
The Bullberry forend will solve most of your problems, have several Bullberry barrels. Have replaced the hinge pin on some of my Contenders with one that tightens up with an allen wrench but didn't see any difference there. But all of my Bullberry barrels have their forend hanger, each barrel has a scope mounted, switching barrels doesn't seem to affect point of impact at all, if it was on before, it is still on after. Make sure the wood of the forend does not contact the frame. Also make sure the buttstock is tight, very tight. The Bullberry barrels and their wood are a little spendy but all of mine are tack drivers, have never had a stock Contender barrel that was accurate.

largom
11-13-2011, 08:34 PM
TORQUE WRENCH, cheaper than ammo and every shooter needs one.

Larry

fatelvis
12-27-2011, 11:31 AM
How many in/lbs are you guys torquing your forend screws to?

kweidner
12-27-2011, 03:27 PM
google mike bellm tc. tons of informatin there. I had Stratton Custom do mine. turned out awesome no poi change. have an inchpound screwdriver in bag. repeatable. hanger bars aren't too expensive. been a couple years but i have one on all my barrels. I can start a group, swap bbl and come back and finish it later.

williamwaco
12-27-2011, 03:44 PM
This is probably no help at all but I am going to toss it in the pot.

I have a Contender with two barrels. Each has it's own scope mounted permanently.
I remove each barrel for cleaning every time it is fired and sometimes at the range to change calibers. I have never noticed a change in POI at 50 yards. ( hand gun ).

When I replace the forend, ( same one on both barrels ), I tighten the screws finger tight with a screwdriver. That sounds like a contadiction but I mean using only light finger pressure on the screwdriver handle.

Happy and Prosperous New Year

( And good luck with your POI )

DistRifle
12-29-2011, 09:14 AM
I've been using 20 in/lbs. If your fore end is bedded, you could go higher. But, I don't think you'll need to.

stubshaft
12-29-2011, 09:55 PM
If you are shooting an Encore I would suggest the Stratton type hangar bar. I use them on all of my Encore barrels in both pistol and rifle configs.