PDA

View Full Version : Encouraging Results

myfriendis410
10-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Here is a target shot yesterday morning. Very mild conditions, no wind. The PPCB was cast at 510 gr., sized to .452, two wraps of 100% cotton "resume paper, 24#" and sized to .4580 through the Star.

The load was: fired and annealed case, sized down 3/4", expander to 1/2", Federal 210m, over-powder card, then run partially through a full length sizer to gently hold the bullet.

First shot from cold barrel went low right. Shots were at 100 yards from a bench with my Pedersoli Sharps 45-70. Recoil was stout, and I'm guessing it was around 1,500 fps.

I am encouraged to continue to work with the paper patch to see how far I can take it. The goal would be a good load for mule deer and elk in Colorado. I can't use PB in California (copper only).

pdawg_shooter
10-28-2011, 02:58 PM
That little scrap of paper sure makes things easy, don't it?

6.5 mike
10-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Looks like another one just got hooked,[smilie=l:

303Guy
10-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Yup. I love it when someone achieves success like that. An interesting observation - the vertical group is very tight. Almost like the horizontal spread (if one can call it that) was due to aiming or hold variance and not load or rifle accuracy. Meaning that could be one heck of an accurate load!:cbpour:

geargnasher
10-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Looks like you got it! If your gun is like mine, it seems like they need to "learn" how to shoot PP, looks like it learned after the first shot. It keeps getting better as the bore smooths up.

Gear

myfriendis410
10-28-2011, 11:11 PM
I've been playing with it for a couple of weeks. Tried some stick powders with mediocre results. The best being a heavy load of I4895. I thought I'd try a ball powder so went to the Benchmark. It's a good fit for the Sharps because it drives heavy bullets hard but maintains very low overall pressures. One group ain't enough to load up a bunch; but it gives me a point in space to work around and tune it up.

I will report.

myfriendis410
10-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Yup. I love it when someone achieves success like that. An interesting observation - the vertical group is very tight. Almost the horizontal spread (if one can call it that) was due to aiming or hold variance and not load or rifle accuracy. Meaning that could be one heck of an accurate load!:cbpour:

Absolutely true, but the opposite could equally obtain. I'm using a Taylor peep sight and with the replacement NRA centers I get a fairly good sight picture. I've shot it enough that I am pretty consistent (and amazed at the accuracy of a peep sight), but still the "screw behind the stock" has to be good and tight to get it done.

303Guy
10-29-2011, 12:05 AM
Mmmm .... I wondered about peep sights. That would rule out light effects. Unless light reflection on the front blade has any bearing? Anyway, I'm looking forward to further tests. (What about cross-winds?)

Nobade
10-29-2011, 08:30 AM
510gr. at 1500 fps and you want to work it up higher for deer and elk? I'd think that would be plenty.
But seriously, good job and it's nice to see another shooter who is figuring this stuff out. Spread the word!

myfriendis410
10-29-2011, 03:24 PM
I think I can get another 100 fps or so, that's my goal. I wouldn't want to shoot it all day; I've got the fading purple and yellow bruise to show for it. I keep joking with my best friend that I'm working up a prairie dog load......

The peep is astoundingly consistent. I'm shooting under cover and have a hooded front sight with a target post. For hunting I have a larger insert to get by in low light. The plan is to upgrade to a Marble's sight in the near future.

I took a page from somebody else here and made up a master sheet (CAD) that I then copy on to my paper and cut with a paper cutter. That paper is rolled dry and I use a child's glue stick on the trailing edge. Instant confetti out of the muzzle.

myfriendis410
11-01-2011, 03:31 PM
I tried bracketing the powder charge from above and saw this when I went up 1/2 grain. Overall I'm pretty happy. I think it's all of the recoil I'm going to be able to stand. You would NOT want to shoot this in a 6 lb. rifle.......

leftiye
11-01-2011, 08:58 PM
It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!” Nietzsche (303 Guy signature line)

You need reasons?