PDA

View Full Version : Range lead Question

lts70
10-28-2011, 12:18 PM
I have a friend that collected a lot of 22cal range lead from a scout camp. He said he melted it down but cannot get the sand out. He has been using paraffin wax to flux with. He is going to give the lead to me as he is afraid it will ruin his guns. I don’t have any experience with outdoor range lead that has sand in it but it doesn’t make sense to me that it won’t cleanup as normal. Wouldn’t the sand be so much lighter than the lead that it would skim right off?

Any suggestions?

jmsj
10-28-2011, 01:44 PM
I smelt range lead and shot and the dirt and sand flux right out. I usually use sawdust for flux. If that doesn't get it, it may be something else like bismuth or some other non lead product.
Good luck, jmsj

bumpo628
10-28-2011, 02:09 PM
I think you just need to stir it with a wooden dowel or stick and really scrape the walls and bottom of the pot. Flux it with sawdust as mentioned above. That should do the trick.

Defcon-One
10-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Sand will float in molten lead like a cork does in water.

Do what these guys said! Melt, flux twice stirring aggressively (use sawdust first, then wax) then just skim and pour ingots.

Thanks Bowfin, you are right, can't say it too many times: So for clarity;

stirring aggressively = stir, stir, and stir.

I really stir hard and long, it really makes a BIG difference!

bowfin
10-28-2011, 02:48 PM
The important thing to bring away from this thread is that the sand will float to the top and will have to be skimmed off.

After the flux is added, stir, stir, and stir so the sand gets a chance to make its way to the top for removal.

This is basically what everybody else has said, but I would rather you heard it twice in a slightly different way than not be clear.

Boolseye
10-31-2011, 10:30 PM
Sounds like their may be some other nastiness in there. Good alloy separates from the dross (dirt, sand, copper, steel, you name it) with no issues.

williamwaco
10-31-2011, 10:44 PM
I have no direct experience with pure sand but I have a lot of experience with "pure dirt" and it floats easily to the top. BUT you do need to stir aggressively and flux at least two or three times and scrape the sides and the bottom of the pot.

btroj
10-31-2011, 10:49 PM
Stir the heck out of it. Anything light like sand or dirt will come to the surface. Did I mention stir it well?

runfiverun
11-01-2011, 05:40 AM
try raising the heat also.
oh yeah then flux well to carbourize the alloy, bismuth will alloy easily to lead and will harden it just like antimony but will cause casting issues after a certain point.

JSnover
11-01-2011, 03:01 PM
There are members who use a layer of sand on top of the melt to keep it from oxidizing. You could speed things up by rinsing off the excess before you melt it. Other than that you shouldn't have any problems with it.

fredj338
11-01-2011, 06:51 PM
I don't think the original melt was hot enough when he fluxed it. You want it hot, 650deg+ hot, then flux w/ anything. I prefer sawdust to wax but wax works, I just think the wax takes longer to get the alloy clean. Sitr w/ a wood stick regardless, I use the heavy duty ones from HD, free.

williamwaco
11-05-2011, 11:41 AM
I don't think the original melt was hot enough when he fluxed it. You want it hot, 650deg+ hot, then flux w/ anything. I prefer sawdust to wax but wax works, I just think the wax takes longer to get the alloy clean. Sitr w/ a wood stick regardless, I use the heavy duty ones from HD, free.

One of the very first rules I learned was set the thermostat on 750 and let the pot heat until you think it is hot enough. ( Back in those days, post had real thermostats. The expensive ones still do.)

When you think it is ready, flux it ( wax ). If the smoke does not self ignite immediately, it is not hot enough. Wait a while and try again.

Nowadays, with my NOE thermometer, I have learned that that self ignition temprature is between 700 and 750. That is still my preferred alloy temprature.

eldoradolee
11-05-2011, 12:58 PM
:bigsmyl2:
One of the very first rules I learned was set the thermostat on 750 and let the pot heat until you think it is hot enough. ( Back in those days, post had real thermostats. The expensive ones still do.)

When you think it is ready, flux it ( wax ). If the smoke does not self ignite immediately, it is not hot enough. Wait a while and try again.

Nowadays, with my NOE thermometer, I have learned that that self ignition temprature is between 700 and 750. That is still my preferred alloy temprature.

You hit the nail on the head! Lee

caseyboy
11-05-2011, 01:03 PM

What type of wax? Parrafin? I have noticed this effect with parrafin. Sometimes it just sizzles and melts, and sometimes, it almost immediately goes poof. Good to know that this can be tied to a temperature range.

runfiverun
11-05-2011, 06:27 PM
i like to use sawdust for the carbon, then old candles on top of that after it chars.
if i were to try getting sand out of an alloy i'd take my time getting the alloy up there in the 750 or even a bit more range.
throw in the sawdust let it char and stir it in then when its good and black throw in the parrafin and ignite it.
the sawdust [pencil shavings work too] provides the carbon.
the heat provides thermals to bring the sand to the top.
and the parrafin burning the sawdust off provides an oxygen free barrier to reduce the oxides back into the melt.

williamwaco
11-08-2011, 03:24 PM
What type of wax? Paraffin? I have noticed this effect with paraffin. Sometimes it just sizzles and melts, and sometimes, it almost immediately goes poof. Good to know that this can be tied to a temperature range.

Yes paraffin.

But only when I don't have scrap candles. Free is better than cheap.

WHITETAIL
11-13-2011, 09:54 AM
:target_smiley:+1 With the sawdust and wax.
I first melt the lead to 650 deg.
Then skim off whats there.
Then I take a hand full of sawdust
and put it in the pot.
Stir, Stir, Stir.
Then I add a chunk of wax.
This should light on its own,
if you are at about 650.
Then stir with a paint stick.
Scrape the bottom and sides.
Skim and pour your ingets.